Observations on Epic Current TA

fredflint

Wife and I are currently on the Epic. Now first it is much like eyewitnesses to a crime 4 people on the cruise will have 5 different observations and opinions. For me ship seems a bit worn the ship does not seem to be kept up 100%. There is a single crewmember that has the sole job of keeping the middle set of stairs in tip top shape. However we have light bulbs out in our cabin and not sure if vent fans for shower or toilet are working. Some windows in O Sheehans are fogged over. Two of four computers in internet cafe are broken. Rust on our balcony on the corners. Carpet is worn on the floor. Internet is about as fast as old AOL dialup and works on and off. You cannot even download larger files no matter what.

Buffet has been very good much better than any other ship. Main dining room fair, service slow food not hot. We have the 4 specialty dining package. Will be doing the Buffet for all other meals. Buffet has a lot of options and they are not always symmetrical so you need to check all sides. Coffee too is very good best I have had on a ship or most places on land. I prefer Dunkin donuts coffee as compared to Starbucks as a reference.

Room itself is OK with enough storage for 4 people on 2 week cruise.

But lighting in the room itself is very dim.

Posting from my phone so any grammer, spelling or sentences that make no sense are due to small screen and spelkcke

Edited by fredflint

Yes overall having a good time not many special activities such as guest speakers thatcwecgave had on other TAS. But this our first NCL cruise. You also need to sign out and in towels. But they don't check cards. I feel sorry for the guy in cabin 10666 he has about 20 towels signed out :)

There is a nice screen in the back of the ship but so far no movies shown on that. Outlets are on the other side of wall from bed. I brought along 2 extension cords 9 and 15 ' ones just perfect. Three outlets on each so can plug in my phone and the run 2nd cord to other side if the bed.

Balcony is nice but chairs do not recline at all and table is very small. Coffee maker in room is very nice.

I took apart shower head we have a tub and have been told the water pressure is less than the regular shower. I removed the little disk that restricts the water flow. I will put it back on the last day. You can take it out with a nailfile. The safe is kind of small full size 9.7" ipad fits at an angle.12" laptop would not fit at all.

So couple of notes you can unplug the HDMI cable from the tv it is on the right side as you face the tv. Use your cell phone in selfie mode to take a picture of the back of the tv so you can see just where the cable plugs in. I was able to swap it without too much trouble.

We just had a long conversation with one of the staff about needing to get a customs stamp for a VAT tax refund on an expensive item we purchased. At first they said we could just mail the paperwork to global blue and they would take care of everything. That it was on their website. I checked the website myself and called them on it. Now they say the solution is quite simple. When I get back to the US I send the item back to the EU by courier and have them take it back thru customs to get the stamp. Pretty simple foolproof and should not be too expensive at all.

We have the minisuitevand not counting the bathroom area the room is about 16' deep

Ok so we have found a few hidden storage spots in our cabin besides the whole wall of cabinets there are 4 storage doors/ spots on the bed side not counting the cabinet with the sink. I will mention the 2 doors above the bed. Anyone else care to mention the other 4 locations?

I would think most people would think internet on a TRANSATLANTIC CRUISE would be important. Its several days at sea and not usually great weather. It's a lot of inside time!

I think NCL could do a better job with daytime entertainment on a TA. I think they should offer the new movies out that you might see on a flight, multiple daily interesting speakers, etc.

I agree tonight is the first time I have seen a movie being shown outside and it is rogue one which has been on TV at least 15 times on the shipboard tv. Internet is like anything that is offered. We have dogs being boarded, they have webcams so we can watch them. However the internet is do poor we cannot get the webcams to work. Phone calls are relatively poor, they block all types of streaming even short news video clips. For me internet is a necessity much like alcohol is for many other people.

Thanks for posting live on your T/A crossing. Very informative & interesting ratings and observations about what's going on around various areas of the ship.

There is little to no excuse for 2 out of PC in their iCafe to be out of service. Sorry to hear about the "slow" satellite WiFi internet ... as you video and/or youtube/streaming clips being blocked - this is apparently done on ships without the newer premium 3-tiered plans. Previously, news video & YT ones can be played as long as I am connected to the (paid/free) WiFi on the ship ... not anymore. Once on (roaming) cellular data, I had no problems in the Bahamas watching it, on our own dimes, of course and not via the ship.

Are you getting useful info from ship's Navigation Channel - we found better real-time info feeds on smaller NCL class ships than mega ships ... still can't figure that one out, maybe the bridge team opted to disabled them ... not even posted outdoor and/or pool temperature :o

So woke up early this AM to find we have no water on the ship . it seems to have gone off around 2 AM and is supposed to be back on around 6 AM this is not a good sign at all. The toilets are also not flushing. Going to be very happy the toilet is its own room if the water does not come back on.

So woke up early this AM to find we have no water on the ship . it seems to have gone off around 2 AM and is supposed to be back on around 6 AM this is not a good sign at all. The toilets are also not flushing. Going to be very happy the toilet is its own room if the water does not come back on.

Yuck...hope it's back on now

Sorry you are not enjoying your cruise. Most of your review is in the subjective category which is where it should be.

Have you cruised before?

It is very well known that WiFi on a cruise ship is never great - no matter which cruse line - especially on a TA. It seems to be good enough to post here. :)

Regarding the water - didn't you start another post about this? It happens on cruise ships; surprising you have not had happen before if indeed you have cruised before.

I hope it gets better for you.

Safe cruising!!!