San Juan, P.R.

pepere

We are due to visit San Juan , P.R. on Saturday, January 27,2018. With all the destruction from the hurricanes, I'm wondering if there are any excursions worth doing?

I like Viator touring. Might want to call them and ask what the state of the excursions are.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When we were there, we just got off the ship and there were dozens of white vans and for $10 each, we had one of the best tours and drivers we've ever had. The van held about maybe 10 people and the tour was a few hours long, with stops at various places.

They use those white vans as taxis in San Juan........ I mean nothing negtaive by that We have taken many a taxi tour in varfious islands. A car and a driver and it's fine..... we've enjoyed some wonderful tours that way . cerainly private, and we do what we want for as long as we want.

IN normal circumstances, what does Viator include in their San Juan tour?

You can go on their website and see what they offer. If you call, ask them if anything has been excluded due to the hurricane. I️ haven’t used them for SJ specifically yet. But I have used them for NYC and several ports in Canada and have been very impressed.

We are due to visit San Juan , P.R. on Saturday, January 27,2018. With all the destruction from the hurricanes, I'm wondering if there are any excursions worth doing?
If they're open, the Bacardi museum/tasting tour is really superb. It's also not going to kill your whole day. You can go to their website and reserve a time slot yourself. I can give you the number for a very nice young man who owns his own cab (Toyota minivan) if you're interested. He's honest and very knowledgeable. We had planned to be there for the 2 weeks ahead of your visit for vacation and to start looking at condos, but postponed a year and moved the party to St. Kitts. We love San Juan and will be there Jan, 2019.

We leave Saturday on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Our stop in San Juan was moved to the DR.

You can go on their website and see what they offer. If you call, ask them if anything has been excluded due to the hurricane. I️ haven’t used them for SJ specifically yet. But I have used them for NYC and several ports in Canada and have been very impressed.

Yes, or I could ask here. I never heard of them and this is where they were mentioned. I've been to San Juan so many times. I'll not be booking a tour but who knew this company did tours in NYC and/or Canada?

Thanks for responding. I know that No one has to answer any question they wish to bypass.

I'm glad you have had good luck with them. I haven't used them in years. They are "middle men" and you don't know who the tour will be with and you pay a premium price. I prefer to go to the source, do my research and book my tour directly with the operator.

Once was enough with these people. I've learned to take the bull by the horns and do the bookings myself. Had I been as lucky as you, that might not have happened ;)

I'm glad you have had good luck with them. I haven't used them in years. They are "middle men" and you don't know who the tour will be with and you pay a premium price. I prefer to go to the source, do my research and book my tour directly with the operator.

Once was enough with these people. I've learned to take the bull by the horns and do the bookings myself. Had I been as lucky as you, that might not have happened ;)

Kazu, In what ports did you use them?

I believe TripAdvisor acquired Viatour a few years back. We’ve also used them...just once. They’re a consolidator, so just be aware that if there are any issues that arise with your tour, they may chose not to assume responsibility, as they are not the tour provider. Moreover, make sure you are aware in advance of their payment and refund policy.

I believe TripAdvisor acquired Viatour a few years back. We’ve also used them...just once. They’re a consolidator, so just be aware that if there are any issues that arise with your tour, they may chose not to assume responsibility, as they are not the tour provider. Moreover, make sure you are aware in advance of their payment and refund policy.

Exactly :).

Interesting.

How long are you in port and have you been there before?

In San Juan you can visit the forts and Old San Juan on your own, no need for a tour. There are many museums and art galleries in Old San Juan that were probably not effected by the hurricane, You can also just walk along the Paseo de la Princesa (a walk along the city wall).

Much depends on how much time you have and what your interests are. Museums, gardens, caves, birds? But I also would not recommend Viator. They are just a tour consolidator. They do not do their own tours, just sell other companies tours. Of course they charge a higher price then just booking directly.

Take a look at the Ports of Call boards for San Juan. There is some good info there.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=131

Friends in Puerto Rico tell me, as well on the news, that they have had a major power failure, and places that had power, including San Juan, must rely on generators once again. I would suggest you call and see what is available, as it may change from day to day.