New to Princess, any tips or suggestions?

saurian

Hello All!

I am new to Princess. My mother's health is starting to fail, and she has always wanted to see Hawaii (yay bucket list!), and it needed to be round-trip from the US in March, so Princess was our only (affordable) option. I have previously only sailed on Royal Caribbean, and was just looking for any tips or suggestions, or what to expect that might be different (or the same) on Princess that might make traveling easier for her. Also, yes, we have travel insurance. She simply wants to be pampered, saying "I don't want to cook, clean up after anyone, or have a routine. I want to sleep when I want, and be up when I want. And a luau, and maybe a volcano."

Hello All!

I am new to Princess. My mother's health is starting to fail, and she has always wanted to see Hawaii (yay bucket list!), and it needed to be round-trip from the US in March, so Princess was our only (affordable) option. I have previously only sailed on Royal Caribbean, and was just looking for any tips or suggestions, or what to expect that might be different (or the same) on Princess that might make traveling easier for her. Also, yes, we have travel insurance. She simply wants to be pampered, saying "I don't want to cook, clean up after anyone, or have a routine. I want to sleep when I want, and be up when I want. And a luau, and maybe a volcano."

Bring sweaters or sweat shirts for the 1st 2 or 3 days at sea going to Hawaii. Even in March it can be cool.

All shows are walk in, no reservations taken. Arrive 30 mins early for production shows. Lots of evening live music in the various lounges around the ship. Princess has an Hawaii program with Hula & uke instructions and other activities.

Muster drill is inside in the deck 6&7 public areas. Carry, don't wear, your life vest to the muster. You will be instructed to put it on at the end of the drill. Arrive 10 to 15 mins early if you want a seat.

Lots of no charge dining on board, DR's, Horizon Ct. buffet, Trident Grill, Prego Pizza, International Cafe, Pub Lunch on some sea days, room service. There are also 2 surcharge restaurants, Crown Grill $29/pp and Sabatini's $25/pp. Make reservations and pay on line before the cruise or it is easy to make reservations once on board by calling the Dine Line. There is also the crab shack on some evenings as well as some specialty dining experiences such as balcony dining and chef's table.

Princess charges a daily auto-tip gratuity which covers your cabin steward, waiters and other staff that you may not see. It is from $13.50/pp/day to 15.50/pp/day depending on the cabin cat. A 15% grat. is added to all beverage purchases. Like espresso drinks and brewed coffee, consider the coffee card. The quality of the free coffee in the buffet is drinkable, but not great.

Crossing the Pacific can be rough and cold, so pack winter and summer clothes. All excellent info in above post.

When we sailed to Hawaii, many cruisers did not make it to the dining room on the first and last sea days because of the rocking and rolling of the ship. If your mother is frail and has trouble walking, definitely take a walker for those days. Once in the islands, it is warm and idyllic.

Hope this info helps, and that you both have a fabulous Hawaiin adventure!

Princess has an Hawaii program with Hula & uke instructions and other activities.

Muster drill is inside in the deck 6&7 public areas. Carry, don't wear, your life vest to the muster. You will be instructed to put it on at the end of the drill. Arrive 10 to 15 mins early if you want a seat.

Thank you so much! She will love the Hawaii program, and on RCI we are used to NOT bringing the life vest at all! That was very helpful!