HDMI Input Access to the TV in your Cabin

notronjeremy

This was from an inside cabin on the Norwegian Escape in January 2017. I assume the same will be true of other cabin styles and other Norwegian ships and feel free to chime in if you've done the same on other ships.

Although there's tons of stuff to do on a cruise, sometimes you just want to kick back and watch a little television, only you have a specific program in mind. At first glance the cabin TVs appear to be securely attached to the fixture in your cabin and no input ports are easily accessible, but one has to assume that it's mounted in a non-permanent manner since maintenance might need to swap out a TV here and there. Here is what it looks like, while mounted to the bulkhead fixture:

The key to detaching it from the fixture is to pull up and out simultaneously. It may take a few attempts since it probably hasn't been removed in some time, but if you're persistent enough you should be able to get it. IMPORTANT: MAKE SURE YOU DON'T DROP IT AFTER DETACHING IT. I WOULDN'T COUNT ON THE CABLES GOING INTO THE WALL TO BE ENOUGH TO SECURE IT ON THEIR OWN. You don't want to have to explain to staff why the TV is laying in multiple pieces on the deck of your cabin.

Once the TV is detached this is what the back will look like.

Here's a close look at the inputs on the back.

Note that the 2nd HDMI cable (going to the side) is an extra one I connected to the TV. When you detach the TV you'll only see the one cable connected.

After returning the TV to the fixture (verify it's securely attached before letting go of it) you can use these buttons on the lower-right side of the TV to change the input source to the one you want.

Once that's all done, you can kick back and enjoy some qualify entertainment that may not be included in the ship's standard line-up.

WARNING: I'm pretty sure NCL doesn't want you messing with their TVs and probably considers it a safety concern (since it could interfere with their ability to communicate with you via the TV). If you drop their TV and find yourself being billed for a new one, if you die in a horrific emergecy that you would have avoided if only you'd been watching their official programming, or if the TV falls off the wall and hurts someone that's on you.

Also, might not be a bad idea to coil up the cord and tuck it behind the TV or hidden in the bottom of the fixture behind a magazine if you're concerned about those making up your cabin catching your little act of cruiseship rebelion.

EDIT: Well, that's frustrating, I guess the image linking feature here doesn't work as expected. I guess you'll have to manually replace the **** in the links with ********** :(

EDIT 2: It would appear that IMGUR (dot) COM is blocked on here. If someone wants to point me towards an image hosting site that is acceptable I'll be happy to move the images there. Tried attaching to the post, but that appears to be failing as well.

Edited by notronjeremy

Use Tapatalk and or CC Forum App to directly upload the images.

It looks like there is also a size limit of something like 18kB when attaching images through the web interface (and that's going to lose a lot of useful detail here if I compress them to that size). Maybe if I used their custom app instead of the website that is different?

The work space behind the TV is tight, have a small LED flashlight ... you can see better.

And that's what really stinks about you not being able to view my images. I initially tried to do what you're describing (fishing my hands behind the TV and using a flashlight), but there wasn't enough room for me to pull that off. That was what prompted me to figure out the proper removal method. And I have to say Norwegian picked a really good model of TV for limited access since (as my pictures would have shown) all of the inputs are at least 5 inches from the edge, making them very difficult to access without detaching the TV from the wall unless you know exactly what you're trying to plug into.

Edited by notronjeremy

Okay, I think I got it. Very frustrating that CC blocks lMGUR (especially in light of what photobucket did earlier this year and the lack of easy/good image hosting solutions), but I'll get off my soap-box. I appear to have found a workaround, so here is the OP (hopefully) with the images where they should be:

This was from an inside cabin on the Norwegian Escape in January 2017. I assume the same will be true of other cabin styles and other Norwegian ships and feel free to chime in if you've done the same on other ships.

Although there's tons of stuff to do on a cruise, sometimes you just want to kick back and watch a little television, only you have a specific program in mind. At first glance the cabin TVs appear to be securely attached to the fixture in your cabin and no input ports are easily accessible, but one has to assume that it's mounted in a non-permanent manner since maintenance might need to swap out a TV here and there. Here is what it looks like, while mounted to the bulkhead fixture:

GM88aEZ.jpg

The key to detaching it from the fixture is to pull up and out simultaneously. It may take a few attempts since it probably hasn't been removed in some time, but if you're persistent enough you should be able to get it. IMPORTANT: MAKE SURE YOU DON'T DROP IT AFTER DETACHING IT. I WOULDN'T COUNT ON THE CABLES GOING INTO THE WALL TO BE ENOUGH TO SECURE IT ON THEIR OWN. You don't want to have to explain to staff why the TV is laying in multiple pieces on the deck of your cabin.

Once the TV is detached this is what the back will look like.

Us91L16.jpg

BL8XzN9.jpg

Here's a close look at the inputs on the back.

68ARCVW.jpg

ygNaMQT.jpg

Note that the 2nd HDMI cable (going to the side) is an extra one I connected to the TV. When you detach the TV you'll only see the one cable connected.

After returning the TV to the fixture (verify it's securely attached before letting go of it) you can use these buttons on the lower-right side of the TV to change the input source to the one you want.

KPPZAjK.jpg

Once that's all done, you can kick back and enjoy some qualify entertainment that may not be included in the ship's standard line-up.

5Ov1W51.jpg

WARNING: I'm pretty sure NCL doesn't want you messing with their TVs and probably considers it a safety concern (since it could interfere with their ability to communicate with you via the TV). If you drop their TV and find yourself being billed for a new one, if you die in a horrific emergecy that you would have avoided if only you'd been watching their official programming, or if the TV falls off the wall and hurts someone that's on you.

Also, might not be a bad idea to coil up the cord and tuck it behind the TV or hidden in the bottom of the fixture behind a magazine if you're concerned about those making up your cabin catching your little act of cruiseship rebelion.

If you tell someone to cross a street, and a car hits them, are you responsible in any way? :)

If you're a kindergarten teacher you might just be! :p

And I think the warnings are worth having in there:

The TV was a little heavier than I expected it to be and awkward to hold up at that angle. After several minutes of failing to get it to detach from the fixture I was a little surprised and caught off guard when it finally popped off and my (slightly tired by this point) arms were suddenly responsible for its full weight. Not surprised enough to stumble backwards towards the bed, trip over myself, and drop it, but had I been intoxicated at that point I could see that having been the outcome.

I am on a balcony mini suite on the Epic right now I can unplug the HDMI 1 cable and plug in my own cable to watch stuff from my iPad.

Yeah, ditto, here actually using chromebook. Last year, we could use HDMI 3 on the side and the remote allowed access. The TV's attach differently on Epic--not that I've tried to remove it since my hand can detach HDMI 1 as is.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I am on a balcony mini suite on the Epic right now I can unplug the HDMI 1 cable and plug in my own cable to watch stuff from my iPad. I have average size man hands. I used my phone in selfie mode to take a picture of the back of the TV.

Could you please link to the cable you use with your iPad?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It will depend on yourvipad version Mine is the old 40 pin wide one. Google results here

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD826AM/A/lightning-digital-av-adapter

Make sure you have a good power adapter I have had the iPad go dead when on a cheap charger playing back on hdmi. I have cables for my android tablet and newer sub c phone.

It will depend on yourvipad version Mine is the old 40 pin wide one. Google results here

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD826AM/A/lightning-digital-av-adapter

Make sure you have a good power adapter I have had the iPad go dead when on a cheap charger playing back on hdmi. I have cables for my android tablet and newer sub c phone.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It looks like there is also a size limit of something like 18kB when attaching images through the web interface (and that's going to lose a lot of useful detail here if I compress them to that size). Maybe if I used their custom app instead of the website that is different? ...
Mobile versions of Tapatalk and CC Forum Apps are great for uploading pictures of good resolution ... looking good, you got it figured out & working.

HDTV mounting for the balcony staterooms on these mega ship are easy to do - unlike the oceanviews and insides, which is PITA as you described, bravo for getting it off & documenting it.

Just cruised on the BA, very easy in comparison - reached directly under the Sole TV, disconnect the HDMI-1 cable. Connect a short HDMI extender (unlike those used for Roku or Chromecast) - easier to connect/disconnect and reconnect the HDMI output cable from the laptop/notebook PC/chromebook and/or iPad or Samsung's with (mini)HDMI.

Flip open the closet/drawer door panel under or near the TV, there are 2 outlets - powering the TV, etc. - use a power tap (non-surge suppressed strip) and that's my hideaway source for USB charging and Sony PC.

Roku streaming stick was easily hooked up this way, but passing a signal thru once bridged/connected to ship's WiFi source ... proved to be a challenge. Didn't pursue it further since it was a matter of playback via a direct HDMI hooked up or wirelessly. Watching & listen over a 22" or 24" monitor is better than a 12" or 15" or 16.7" laptop display.

1ba9f5cdc936ad25610c8a10daa3cc02.jpg