Day in Havana Cuba

Batbabe

There was much discussion on this topic on the Caribbean/Cuba thread yesterday. Check it out. We were there 2 weeks ago but the rules have changed quite recently. You may need to search State Dept./Commerce Dept./ and Treasury Dept. sites if you can't find the correct answer. 2 weeks ago we could come and go as we pleased all hours.

I heard from another site that Royal Caribbean has sent out emails to all guests with upcoming cruises in Empress to Cuba. I read the copy of the email, which advises that "people-to-people" travel is no longer allowed by the US State Department, but that tours booked through the ship are, to paraphrase, fine. The email is a little confusing and does not address whether passengers who are not booked on a ship excursion, would be able to disembark and do a privately-arranged tour.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can also suggest contacting one of the US based tour organizers (we used Tour Republic, but there are quite a few out there). They have lawyers, and maybe they have a way to use their tours.

One person on the discussion noted above- RCI mentioned that if you have an independant tour with documentation to prove it, they will let you go on shore for the tour. Seems as if many of those tours are using the "Support Cuban People" licence. Research to see if that works for you.

This is the email I received from RCCL:

This is an important message regarding your upcoming cruise.

logo_hero.png ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,

On November 8th, the United States government issued new regulations related to Cuba travel. We are pleased to inform you that we do not anticipate any changes to our Cuba itineraries, and we look forward to taking you there. One change that does impact travelers is that self-guided “people-to-people” travel will no longer be allowed. This means that in order to enjoy Cuba, you must be participating in a group tour or qualify for the other categories of authorized travel, which are listed in our Cuba Travel Requirements FAQs: www.royalcaribbean.com/cuba/faq/.

All of our Royal Caribbean shore excursions are designed to meet the necessary qualifications for authorized group “people-to-people” travel. We offer a wide variety of tours to select from. If you have not yet booked your shore excursions, please visit www.RoyalCaribbean.com/CruisePlanner for a list of exciting excursions to participate in. While onboard, you may also visit our Shore Excursions Desk, located on Deck 5.

You can expect to enjoy the same immersive, unforgettable experience you’ve been looking forward to as we visit the historical and beautiful port of Havana, Cuba on your upcoming cruise onboard Empress of the Seas.

As a reminder, please visit www.RoyalCaribbean.com/Cuba for useful tips to help you prepare for your trip and to gather all the necessary travel documentation. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to call us at 800-562-7625 or visit www.RoyalCaribbean.com/UpdatesOnCuba for the most up to date information.

Thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean for your upcoming vacation. We are excited to welcome you on your upcoming adventure.

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International

frame.pnglogo_footer.png ©2017 Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. Ships' registry: The Bahamas.

Royal Caribbean International

1050 Caribbean Way

Miami, FL 33132 USA

Wow more red tape :(

We booked June 16 for a November 20 sailing so our private tour might be a little tricky but my plan is to select item 3 "support for Cuban people" on the RCL Guest Certification Form and see what happens. Or I can become a minister before the cruise and go for religious reasons.

We booked June 16 for a November 20 sailing so our private tour might be a little tricky but my plan is to select item 3 "support for Cuban people" on the RCL Guest Certification Form and see what happens. Or I can become a minister before the cruise and go for religious reasons.

Amen.

• 2 weeks later...
Everything worked out just fine with using private tour company. I got my Cuban visa from RCL.

Did the ship personnel ask to see your tour confirmation when you disembarked the ship in Havana, or did they even care?

I was there for an overnight in June before all this nonsense, and we came and went from the ship seamlessly. No one cared - left the compliance to us, as it should be.

Did the ship personnel ask to see your tour confirmation when you disembarked the ship in Havana, or did they even care?

I was there for an overnight in June before all this nonsense, and we came and went from the ship seamlessly. No one cared - left the compliance to us, as it should be.

Nope. We just walked up with our sea pass card and passport and visa in hand and we walked off.