And the new ship will be called.......

lprp

Just wanted to add my disappointment at the name chosen by NCLH/Regent for their next ship :(

It just seems so inappropriate:

•  
  • The name does not gel with the nautical/travel theme of the other ships in the Regent fleet

• It has an off-putting sense of glitz and excess

• For some countries the spelling is incorrect

• It is reminiscent of the sugar substitute "Splenda"

• The name duplicates that of a Carnival* ship

I wonder how many Regent customers voted for "Seven Seas Splendor"? ......... or did the company CEO just state his preference for the name, with no one else in Miami having the courage to point out how ill-suited it is.

I can only hope that the design of the new ship retains the good bits of Explorer, corrects the Explorer design fails and reflects feedback from guests and crew. If this is achieved I look forward to sailing on her ............. despite the name :)

* The existing ships of the Regent fleet all duplicate RCCL names. RCCL used to have a ship with the name "Splendour" (spelt correctly), but ditched the ship in 2016

Agreed! Splendor is an uninspired choice with an undertone of overindulgence and foppery. Of course, if it’s a great ship, who cares, but still...

One last thought. Maybe it’s not too late! Viking Oceans changed their boringly named upcoming Viking Spirit to the far more interesting Viking Orion. Perhaps Regent will realize their mistake.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Agreed! Splendor is an uninspired choice with an undertone of overindulgence and foppery. Of course, if it’s a great ship, who cares, but still...

One last thought. Maybe it’s not too late! Viking Oceans changed their boringly named upcoming Viking Spirit to the far more interesting Viking Orion. Perhaps Regent will realize their mistake.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Interesting that this thread is being resurrected. I am on the "who cares" bandwagon since we don't sail a ship based on her name.

In terms of the Splendor, from what I've heard, she will be identical to Explorer with fixes to major design flaws (such as the forward elevator space on deck 5 that is too narrow for people to get by. While I hope that the theater sight lines are corrected, I understand that Regent can't change the design of the ship based on some customer preferences. I suspect that the Splendor will be similar to Oceania's two newest ship - the same but with a handful of improvements.

There is so much that is right about the Explorer that if some passengers don't care for her, there are other choices. We don't care for the Navigator but it isn't a big deal - we have avoided saying on her for over 5 years and haven't missed any important itineraries. We look forward to returning to Explorer in 2019 and may just sail on only her in the future. Once you find something you like - why not stick to it?