Wine drinkers - package or buy by the bottle?

We'll be taking our first RCI cruise next summer, and I'm wondering what the best option would be for us in terms of drinks. My husband and I are both primarily wine drinkers (vs. beer or mixed drinks). When we cruised on Disney we found it better to just buy a package with several bottles of wine once we boarded. I've looked at the drink packages for our cruise and I'm not sure if it makes sense to do that and then just get wine by the glass or to buy bottles (if that's even an option?)

What do my fellow wine lovers suggest? What has worked for you?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions :)

We're definitely planning to bring aboard two bottles, but I know they won't last for the 7 days of the cruise. We're on Serenade of the Seas, and from what I've seen online there doesn't appear to be an option to buy bottles in advance, just the package.

I haven't seen any wine packages on RC for a few years now. They used to have 3, 5, 7, 10 and 14 bottle packages at varying levels of price (Silver, Gold, Platinum, I think were the designations), and if you paid attention to the per bottle menu price vs the per bottle package price you could get some good values. Guess that's why they stopped doing it.

I would still consider the package as it includes a wide variety of non-alcoholic beverages as well. Coffees, bottled water, soda etc..... It also gives you glasses of wine up to $12 or $13 per serving and you only have to pay the difference if you order one that is more expensive. And who knows maybe at the pool one day you will want a strawberry daiquiri and that would be included as well!! Also if you want a really nice bottle of wine, you receive a discount on the purchase price on that bottle!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would still consider the package as it includes a wide variety of non-alcoholic beverages as well. Coffees, bottled water, soda etc..... It also gives you glasses of wine up to $12 or $13 per serving and you only have to pay the difference if you order one that is more expensive. And who knows maybe at the pool one day you will want a strawberry daiquiri and that would be included as well!! Also if you want a really nice bottle of wine, you receive a discount on the purchase price on that bottle!

Ooh, I didn't know that about the discount - that's a nice bonus! We both drink coffee and it would be nice to have bottled water as well. And I do like the occasional drink with a little paper umbrella while on vacation :)

Ooh, I didn't know that about the discount - that's a nice bonus! We both drink coffee and it would be nice to have bottled water as well. And I do like the occasional drink with a little paper umbrella while on vacation :)

It is 40% off bottled wine $100 or less and 20% off bottles more than $100.

We also drink wine and will bring 2 bottles and get drink package, as already said drink limit is 12 or 13 depending on ship, package allows you do get bottles under 100 at 40 percent off and 20 percent if over, we normally do wine by the glass that cost about 15 a glass so since our ship had 12 dollar limit we pay 3 dollars plus tip on the 3 dollars, we almost have wine with dinner and also many lunchs

Just curious since RCL now insist on both adults to buy the drink packages because of the sharing problem why not each bring 2 bottles on board but check your luggage on different lines and at different times. Can't see how they can solve this problem.

It's that kind of creative thinking that caused Royal to go both adults must purchase the package. Now a couple where 1only has a occasional drink has to pay for a package. If the 2 bottle limit gets abused then it could be 0 bottles in the future.

You should be able to pre-purchase bottles via Royal Gifts to be delivered to your cabin, unless your ship is different. However, the selection isn't that great compared to what's available on board.

We had the Deluxe package the last three cruises and liked the ability to get some very nice wines by the glass. However, our most recent cruise (October) I found many of the nice wines we previously enjoyed weren't available by the glass or were a few $ above the package. The per bottle discount using the Deluxe makes bottles reasonable, not cheap, but at least reasonable. But, if you're only using the package for the discount then it's not cost effective.