Sel de Mer

luvn2cruzzz

And here are two people with the opposite opinion --- but they don't name the ship or ships:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2567985

This may have been the same cruise we sailed.....Westerdam Panama Canal. We also did the Sel de Mer, but we enjoyed it.

Both of us ordered lobster, and for sure it was not the Maine lobster, but the tails I had were good. I no longer have any illusions about getting delicious New England lobsters on any cruise line, but I liked the lobster on HAL (both in the Sel de Mer and the main dining room) much better than the mushy ones Princess gave me or the lobster-drowning-in-bacon that Celebrity gave me for twice the price in their specialty restaurant.

I didn't love the dessert, but I rarely eat dessert with my meal so it was no loss. However, in addition to the dessert we ordered, they brought us a "tree" of chocolate covered strawberries which was a little over the top. However, since I hate waste, I had the waiter wrap up the strawberries, and I took them back to our cabin and put them in the refrigerator, and we enjoyed them the next day on our balcony with a glass of wine. A win-win situation.

Our only complaint, and one that we have in most specialty restaurants, was that it was simply too much food, which is why we did not return on the second night. We left feeling uncomfortably stuffed, but our food was good, the service was good, and we were glad we tried it. Since we're 4-stars, the price was definitely a plus.

Both of us ordered lobster, and for sure it was not the Maine lobster, but the tails I had were good. I no longer have any illusions about getting delicious New England lobsters on any cruise line,.

I didn't love the dessert, but I rarely eat dessert with my meal so it was no loss.

Actually, on our Anthem of the Seas (Royal Caribbean) Canada/New England cruise last year they brought on Maine lobsters in a couple of our ports in Maine and had a special of 1/2 lobster in the MDR one night (I believe they had them in the buffet as well). They claimed it was something special just for our cruise but I later read that Celebrity did it as well, so I suspect it's a standard thing for them up there. Still, a nice thing to do.

If you rarely eat dessert, then why bother ordering it here, given that you paid extra for it?

Edited by MisterBill99

when we sailed on Kdam the best thing on the ship was Sel de Mer. Went several times and as 4* we didn't pay that much. We were able to get some of the sides from Pinnacle as it was next door, same kitchen. We will definitely book it for the night on our 7 day cruise.

when we sailed on Kdam the best thing on the ship was Sel de Mer. Went several times and as 4* we didn't pay that much. We were able to get some of the sides from Pinnacle as it was next door, same kitchen. We will definitely book it for the night on our 7 day cruise.
How does that work in terms of cost, since Pinnacle isn't a la carte?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Just off Eurodam. Ser De Mer in PG, not a la carte.

$49 per person, discount based on Mariner status.

Not impressed.

Thanks, but SeaBands was posting about Kdam and said that PG was next door. Sorry you didn't enjoy SDM. Care to say what you didn't like (unless you've already posted it).

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Unfortunately that post is pretty vague as well and doesn't shed any more light on the specifics of why you were 'not impressed'.

Since taste and presentation of food is subjective maybe you should spend $49 to see if you like it.

Bottom line; Dover sole was terrible; dry, no favor, no sauce. We have dined at Oceania's French Restaurant (Jacques) and the fish was excellent. Baby shrimp served in lieu of larger shrimp as appetizer. The steak I ordered was not as good as what is served at Pinnacle Grill.

Please also note that we were on the Eurodam for 14 days, dined at various Specialty Restarants nine (9) nights, five at the Pinnacle Grill. The service and food were best ever on a HAL cruise except for food at Ser De Mer.

Since taste and presentation of food is subjective maybe you should spend $49 to see if you like it.

Bottom line; Dover sole was terrible; dry, no favor, no sauce. We have dined at Oceania's French Restaurant (Jacques) and the fish was excellent. Baby shrimp served in lieu of larger shrimp as appetizer. The steak I ordered was not as good as what is served at Pinnacle Grill.

Please also note that we were on the Eurodam for 14 days, dined at various Specialty Restarants nine (9) nights, five at the Pinnacle Grill. The service and food were best ever on a HAL cruise except for food at Ser De Mer.

I agree that the poster you quoted should try it. I thought you were pretty specific in post #20. I could understand if you said like it wasn't good or I didn't like it but can't remember why. That would be different.