Sel de Mer

luvn2cruzzz

We recently sailed on the Konigsdam and fell in love with Sel de Mer--dined there three times and loved the intimate, warm atmosphere and the lovely and delicious food. We may be sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam next year and heard that in place of Le Cirque in the Pinnacle, it is now Sel de Mer one night per cruise. Has anyone dined in the Pinnacle when that was offered?

Yes, food preferences vary. I heard that just a sampling from the Sel de Mer is offered on the other ships. Our experience observing those who ordered lobster--the tail was huge and nothing at all like that which is served in the MDR. My husband had the lobster thermidor twice and loved it--obviously! My dover sole was the best I have ever had on or off a ship. The Pinnacle, while a nice space, does not have the ambience as the dedicated space on the Konigsdam. One thing that we heard a lot of was that passengers were afraid to try an ala carte restaurant due to the price structure yet they dine out on land in that manner all the time. For those of us who are 4*, it was definitely a bargain.

We enjoyed the Sel de Mer pop-up onboard the NA week before last. We both thought it was an improvement over Le Cirque, but it's not necessarily an easy comparison. We also enjoyed the PG in its traditional format as well as my solo breakfast each day while my bride enjoyed her sleep. Alfredo is the best, with Michael, Renzo and the rest of the great staff all top-notch. Ericka in the Tamarind was also great twice.

We sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam in its first year and loved the ship and it's food choices. When we went back a year later, all different kitchen staff and the food quality was not the same. It just depends on who is running the kitchen and what their tastes were.

We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam Nov. 11 - 18 this year. We did eat at Rudi's and my husband said the lobster was excellent. I don't eat seafood, but my steak was very good. I would add that the soufflé for dessert was to die for.

Since we have a current thread about this restaurant, does anyone know what the average price for fresh local fish which as I understand they bring onboard in various ports? I have seen the posted menu from last year on the Jett site. But what about daily specials? Do they give you a menu with the fish of the day and prices?

Since we have a current thread about this restaurant, does anyone know what the average price for fresh local fish which as I understand they bring onboard in various ports?

It is advertised but they don't bring fresh local fish tot the ship.

My experience at Sel de Mer (we went twice on a 2 week cruise) however was great.

It is advertised but they don't bring fresh local fish tot the ship.

My experience at Sel de Mer (we went twice on a 2 week cruise) however was great.

Is that true on all cruises? I read in that other thread that they didn't do it on that person's cruise but I figured it was a one-off since it was a pop-up. Disappointing if they're always doing that, basically false advertising.

Is that true on all cruises? I read in that other thread that they didn't do it on that person's cruise but I figured it was a one-off since it was a pop-up. Disappointing if they're always doing that, basically false advertising.

TBH I'm not sure HAL themselves advertises it as "fresh from port", but I asked on Koningsdam (where it's not a pop-up) and they told me.

Also, I'm not really sure if it's worthwhile for such a huge ship to send out a chef to buy fresh fish for maybe 10 guests that happen to select it that night . And then there's probably USPH regulations, ports where all markets are closed on a Sunday, no sellers bothering with the right certificates to sell to cruise ships for 15lb a week, and a lot more reasons.

TBH I'm not sure HAL themselves advertises it as "fresh from port", but I asked on Koningsdam (where it's not a pop-up) and they told me.

Also, I'm not really sure if it's worthwhile for such a huge ship to send out a chef to buy fresh fish for maybe 10 guests that happen to select it that night . And then there's probably USPH regulations, ports where all markets are closed on a Sunday, no sellers bothering with the right certificates to sell to cruise ships for 15lb a week, and a lot more reasons.

Found it on this page from their website:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/topics/news/news-release-holland-america-line-introduces-rudis-sel-de-mer-french-brasserie-pop-up-restaurant-to-six-ships-in-the-fleet/

"The chefs also will go ashore to the local fish market whenever possible and personally select the catch of the day as a featured dish for the menu."

That's why I'm curious to see what the daily specials look like. If anyone has one they can post, that would be great. Maybe one solution is to speak to them at the restaurant at the beginning of the week and see what port(s) they may have fresh fish from, and book that night. If it could not be done due to health concerns, then it should not have been mentioned in their press release (and yes "whenever possible" gives them some wiggle room, but if they never do it, that's another story entirely).

Apparently on many of the smaller lines the chefs go to the markets and get fresh ingredients. One of the "Mighty Cruise Ships" episodes on the Smithsonian Channel showed a chef having problems getting fish and having to deal directly with a fisherman.

• 2 weeks later...

Last week dined at Ser De Mer on Eurodam. It was very disappointing. DW had Dover sole and worst she had ever tried. PM did bring her couple of lobster tails even though she did not ask for the lobster. We also had something called seafood tower that included crab meat, shrimp and octopus. We both opted for shrimp in lieu of octopus and discovered the shrimp were baby/tiny shrimp. I asked since we were dining in the PG could we get a jumbo shrimp cocktail. :eek:

One thing that we heard a lot of was that passengers were afraid to try an ala carte restaurant due to the price structure yet they dine out on land in that manner all the time. For those of us who are 4*, it was definitely a bargain.

Exactly. How come guests who can afford a cruise, spending hundreds of dollars to sleep one night, are hesitating to spend just a few bucks more? You can't have maybe 50 guests a night, a big space on the ship, and charge something like $20 (I don't remember the exact price) without being heavily subsidized by the rest of the guests. A haircut is expensive. A la carte is a few beers.

Exactly. How come guests who can afford a cruise, spending hundreds of dollars to sleep one night, are hesitating to spend just a few bucks more? You can't have maybe 50 guests a night, a big space on the ship, and charge something like $20 (I don't remember the exact price) without being heavily subsidized by the rest of the guests. A haircut is expensive. A la carte is a few beers.

I did not enjoy the sel de mer and the koningsdam and neither did my dining companion. We are both 4 stars. I believe we both paid around $22 after our discount. If I don't enjoy it I really don't even want to pay $5 for it. I did try the pop up on my last cruise and thought that was much better and worth the money. There are other restaurants on the k that I enjoy so I won't be spending money at sel de mer.

If I don't enjoy it I really don't even want to pay $5 for it. I did try the pop up on my last cruise and thought that was much better and worth the money. There are other restaurants on the k that I enjoy so I won't be spending money at sel de mer.

That's what I'm saying. You wouldn't go there even it was nearly for free. I'd visit again when they doubled their prices. After spending a few thousand to be on the ship, an extra 20, maybe 50 dollars are not a reason to visit a venue or not.

That's what I'm saying. You wouldn't go there even it was nearly for free. I'd visit again when they doubled their prices. After spending a few thousand to be on the ship, an extra 20, maybe 50 dollars are not a reason to visit a venue or not.

I guess I'm still struggling with what you are saying. It's immaterial how much you pay for a cruise. I don't want to pay for mediocre food. If it's tasty I have no problem even if it's on the expensive side. Sol de mer was no better than the MDR.