KSC excursion on disembarkment day

rfkeith10

We are considering the KSC excursion with transportation to MCO on the day we return to Port. I have done a search and most of the data posted is 2 or more years old.

I'm hoping for some more current information. I am mostly interested in the mechanics/logistics of getting off the ship (Oasis) and getting to the tour bus. I am making an assumption that the tour bus is same bus that takes us to MCO---Right?? I would also like to know how much standing/walking is involved with the tour.

Our flight has been changed with a new departure time set at about 7:00pm. We thought the KSC excursion would be much better than sitting in the airport for 9 hours !!

Ray

As far as getting off the ship, you will meet first as a group in a specific lounge or theater and will be given a tag to wear to identify you as part of the group. You will be directed to customs, etc. Once outside the terminal, you will be identified by your tag and directed to the correct bus. Another poster mentioned a second bus for part of the tour, but you will return to the first bus for the trip to the airport. Your luggage will be on the first bus the entire time. The problem we encountered was the waiting for stragglers before we could leave the terminal. It seems there is always that person whose luggage is difficult to find or has the wrong departure tag. (It says right on the tour ticket which one you need.) This delay in leaving has happened to us a few other times on ships excursions with airport drop offs. The tour itself was good and the convenience of the airport drop off is awesome, but I still might rent a car next time.

The bus that picks you up at the cruise terminal is the bus you will take to KSC and MCO. However, the KSC tour includes an approach to one of the launch pads on a different bus.

Thanks Bob. As always, a quick response and helpful/useful information.

You will still be at the airport around 1pm....so you'll have a wait, no matter how you cut it! If your flight has been changed by 90 mins or more, you can cancel and rebook something more favorable, without penalty.

Thank you for the reply. The flight time actually changed by about 90 minutes. Because of some mobility issues, I try to book nonstop flights as much possible. I was surprised at the low number of nonstop flights between Los Angeles and Orlando.

As far as getting off the ship, you will meet first as a group in a specific lounge or theater and will be given a tag to wear to identify you as part of the group. You will be directed to customs, etc. Once outside the terminal, you will be identified by your tag and directed to the correct bus. Another poster mentioned a second bus for part of the tour, but you will return to the first bus for the trip to the airport. Your luggage will be on the first bus the entire time. The problem we encountered was the waiting for stragglers before we could leave the terminal. It seems there is always that person whose luggage is difficult to find or has the wrong departure tag. (It says right on the tour ticket which one you need.) This delay in leaving has happened to us a few other times on ships excursions with airport drop offs. The tour itself was good and the convenience of the airport drop off is awesome, but I still might rent a car next time.

Karen--Thank you so much for your post. That is exactly the type of info that I am looking for. You have answered a lot of my questions. I have some issues standing for long periods of time. Do you recall how much walking and standing this tour requires?

It looks like our cruises are happening around the same time. We are booked on the Oasis from February 25th thru March 4th.

Ray

Ray, you’re so welcome. I’m going March 18, so that is pretty close. Wish it was closer. Lol! I don’t recall there being any uneven terrain to make walking more difficult. It was all indoors or on pavement outside. There were 2 times where we had free time to explore on our own, so, of course, that would be at your leisure. I asked my mom how she felt about the walking, being that she was 84 when we were there in February. She doesn’t have mobility issues, but she does get short of breath. She thought it was pretty easy walking. It was really neat there. So interesting! I went in the launch simulator during our free time. That was some ride! Don’t think I’ll be launching into space any time soon!