Are the Drinks Packages worth the price ?

LeoLes1968

I have read on forums people saying that unless you drink a lot these packages are not worth the money? We are not alcoholics by any means but my hubby does like a few pints a night and I like a few shorts, would it be worth having the package? Can someone explain which drinks they generally include? Also we are looking for a 12 day package so presumably we would be drinking more than say a 7 day package but presumably they are the same price ?

I have read on forums people saying that unless you drink a lot these packages are not worth the money? We are not alcoholics by any means but my hubby does like a few pints a night and I like a few shorts, would it be worth having the package? Can someone explain which drinks they generally include? Also we are looking for a 12 day package so presumably we would be drinking more than say a 7 day package but presumably they are the same price ?

If by "a few", you mean three or less drinks per day, then you would pay less without a package.

The packages are priced per day, so the 12 day package would cost more than the 7 day package.

I always more than break even for the cost of the drink package. Many times my girlfriend does not. To me much of the appeal of having the package is the same as the cruise itself. I can relax and not worry about every little thing. With the drink package we can try a drink that sounds interesting or think we may like and its no big loss if we don't like it. If I was paying individually I probably wouldn't try things or would feel obligated to swallow some drink that I don't like. I don't concentrate if I am "breaking even" or not.

Also, if you are close, the convenience of not having to sign a tab for every drink is also nice.

Drinks run $8 - $12 (or so). Simple drinks (rum and coke, gin and tonic) are at the $8. The $12 are more complex or frozen drinks. Most times the package only covers up to $12 (more on some ships), and anything over that, you have to pay.

Wines run from about $10 to very high per glass. You also get discounts if you buy a bottle.

You also get fresh squeezed orange juice in the morning and specialty coffees (espresso based). Bottle waters are included, as well as sodas.

"Most times the package only covers up to $12 (more on some ships), and anything over that, you have to pay."

Are you saying the package only covers $12 per day or are you saying the package only covers up to $12 per drink?

Per drink.

Generally I have found the drinks package more than worth it on 7 day cruises but on a recent 9 day cruise I felt I was drinking for the sake of it towards the end and that's not good. For the first time I regretted getting the package but the inclusion of fresh OJ and bottles water does help.

By the way, you can take 2 bottles of wine on board with you.

Generally I have found the drinks package more than worth it on 7 day cruises but on a recent 9 day cruise I felt I was drinking for the sake of it towards the end and that's not good. For the first time I regretted getting the package but the inclusion of fresh OJ and bttles water does help.

By the way, you can take 2 bottles of wine on board with you.

Isn't wine included in the drinks package ?

Isn't wine included in the drinks package ?

Yes. Wine by the glass up to $12 per glass (possibly $13 on some ships). Anything over that, you pay the difference plus service charge on the difference.

You can also bring two bottles of wine onboard, which may impact your decision as to whether a drink package is worth it for you.

We just purchased the deluxe package on sale $41 per day (plus service charge), and feel that is well worth it. We do not drink to get drunk, but we do like a mimosa with breakfast, a few cocktails/beer/wine during the day by the pool, drinks with dinner, etc. and we also drink a good amount of bottled water.

Can you get non-alcoholic frozen drinks with the package? Like a smoothie? I pulled the trigger and got the package yesterday, but could not tell if that was included

Non-alcoholic (virgin) frozen drinks are included. I believe that smoothies without protein powder/other additions are also included. We purchased our daughter the refreshment package on sale, and I told her she needs to get at least one frozen cocktail a day to make sure we break even! ;p

Can you get non-alcoholic frozen drinks with the package? Like a smoothie? I pulled the trigger and got the package yesterday, but could not tell if that was included

Yes, you can get non-alcoholic cocktails. Smoothies depend on the ship.

A few pints in the evening? Not worth it. If you are sailing on a ship with the robot bar... and you get 6 drinks in 20 minutes... maybe worth it :)

Mixed drinks tend to be in the $10 range. Beers in the $6 I think. Do the math and see if it's worth it for you. If you have unlimited, will you drink more and will that add to your enjoyment of the cruise? Could you see yourself drinking $50/day worth? As others said, one of the big appeals to the package is not having to think about the price per drink and a final bill. Just enjoy. We end up grabbing drinks constantly throughout the day and I'd venture to say my bill would be $150/day, easily. I also order drinks right at the $12 limit, sometimes above. So the $43 (sale price) is a major bargain. A few cheap beers may not be worth it.

To me, it takes much less to justify since it includes the refreshment package as well, which I will buy either way. At that point, you are only looking at 27 per day (at most) during most sales of the deluxe package, which is 2-3 drinks per day of alcohol, add to that the chance to try things you might not otherwise try and the freedom to just order whatever, whenever is worth it to me, but everybody is different.

To me, it takes much less to justify since it includes the refreshment package as well, which I will buy either way. At that point, you are only looking at 27 per day (at most) during most sales of the deluxe package, which is 2-3 drinks per day of alcohol, add to that the chance to try things you might not otherwise try and the freedom to just order whatever, whenever is worth it to me, but everybody is different.

That is a good point. It is not necessarily 4 drinks a day to break even in this case.

"We are not alcoholics, but we do like to have a few drinks every day" ... ha ... I got news for you, folks ...

Seriously, the drink package question is one all us non-(hic)alcoholics (who am I fooling) wrestle with. Sharing drinks is the other one people should struggle with. Theoretically, if my wife and I get the package (800 bucks) and then share it with the people traveling with us, it would make sense financially BUT ... that isn't ethical.

The reason I say that is we were on a cruise last year and some people we met (reasonable, or so it seemed, adults) were overdrinking "just to get their money's worth" and also blatantly getting drinks for their son and his wife, traveling in another stateroom, who hadn't paid for the package. They were gleefully recounting how many drinks they got over the seven days for their money, and also drinking way too much after coming on board after a day off the ship. Trying not to be judgmental, but it just seemed like these (reasonable) people were drinking for the sake of drinking and also breaking the rules just because ... they could.

One more thing ... they always seemed really hungover the next morning. Which is great on a sunny cruise, right?

OK, I'll stop now. But not before mentioning that just because you can eat all you want on a cruise, you maybe shouldn't ...