Checked bag has small Swiss Army knife with wine opener, etc - Okay?

PaperSniper4

My wine opener that was in my carry on was confiscated going through security at the port. It had a tiny foil cutter on it, and that was all that it took. Gone. I was not happy but the butler brought us one to borrow. It was my fault and I won't make that mistake twice.

I always travel with a small Swiss army knife and a small leatherman tool for the screw drivers and pliers that it provides. Never had any problem carrying them on and off the ship in my shaving kit in my carry-on bag, but I check that carry-on bag when flying.

In today's world, security measures don't have to make sense and I see useless practices all the time. Went through a shore-side security check for a port one time and people had to go through a metal detector while our backpacks were simply slid from one end of a table to the other alongside the metal detector. The bags received zero scanning or inspection.

I suspect that the cruise line is more worried about people smuggling alcohol than they are looking for small pocket knives and cork screws.

I always travel with a small Swiss army knife and a small leatherman tool for the screw drivers and pliers that it provides. Never had any problem carrying them on and off the ship in my shaving kit in my carry-on bag, but I check that carry-on bag when flying...

...I suspect that the cruise line is more worried about people smuggling alcohol than they are looking for small pocket knives and cork screws.

I do the same as you with those items when I fly. I will probably just leave my Leatherman in my checked bag after the hotel stay and let that go onto the ship. I've decided I won't need the wine opener on this Celebrity cruise as we don't have time to get any in the port before we board on Sunday. However, I have an RCI cruise booked Mar 2019 where I will be getting wine before we board, and I will leave my both Leatherman and the wind opener in my checked bag for boarding.

Oh yeah, I agree totally on the last; checking for that awful booze! ! But another reason is probably to give passengers the perception of "security", just as they do at the TSA circus at the airport.clear.png?emoji-frown-1741

Speaking of booze and smuggling, we have ordered an in-cabin delivery of a liter of Beefeater's on the Silhouette. Price was a reasonable $80. On our RCI cruise in 2019, I noted that the price for a .375 liter bottle is $50! It come with four cans of mixers, but good heavens - Cost is three time what Celeb charges! I thought Carnival was high at $100 for a liter. I've about given up on smuggling in my old age, but $50 for 8 shots of booze on RCI is enough to make me reconsider!:o

Doug

Edited by PaperSniper4

A wine opener won't be a problem. The foil cutter is. Be careful, it will be confiscated.

So far we've never had our corkscrew confiscated that has the knife style (1.25" long) foil cutter. It's always (even when we don't bring wine aboard) in our first aid kit in our checked luggage. I would hope the cruise lines x-ray machines would pick it up. Is it possible it could be confiscated on a future cruise, possibly.