Final Disembarkation at Port for Rome

turquoisesea

i hope someone might be able to help me. We are taking the Constellation out of Venice ending at the Rome port ( that I can’t spell!) next summer. This past May we ended our Princess cruise there too and were able to disembark by 7:30 am. Has anyone ended their cruise in Rome and would know what time they allow early pax to leave the ship? I do remember that there was no customs check so it was a simple walk to pick up luggage and walk out to the pier. It is only a concern because the flight I want to book leaves at 11:50 am and that is the only nonstop flight home. I know we need to be to the airport by 9:00 at the latest.

Sorry for not answering your question about disembarkation but I would like to know what you did when you left the Princess ship last May at Civitavecchia (the port for Rome). We will be disembarking Princess next April in Civitavecchia and as it is a commercial port, cruise passengers cannot walk through the port but need to board a bus, to go through the port and get dropped off at the street. I assume you picked up your bags, then went to the bus with your bags - how was this all handled on the bus. I can only assume passengers put their bags in the bag hold area under the bus and then reclaimed them at the end of the journey. It all sounds like it could get very disorganized. I intend to walk off as soon as they allow those taking their own bags off to disembark.

I am catching a train to Laspezia so I want to know how much time to allow for catching the train that is near the port. Thanks.

Sorry for not answering your question about disembarkation but I would like to know what you did when you left the Princess ship last May at Civitavecchia (the port for Rome). We will be disembarking Princess next April in Civitavecchia and as it is a commercial port, cruise passengers cannot walk through the port but need to board a bus, to go through the port and get dropped off at the street. I assume you picked up your bags, then went to the bus with your bags - how was this all handled on the bus. I can only assume passengers put their bags in the bag hold area under the bus and then reclaimed them at the end of the journey. It all sounds like it could get very disorganized. I intend to walk off as soon as they allow those taking their own bags off to disembark.

I am catching a train to Laspezia so I want to know how much time to allow for catching the train that is near the port. Thanks.

Hi.

We picked up our bags and walked a very short distance to the end of the pier where a driver from RomeinLimo was waiting for us. I only saw buses for people taking tours, so I’m not sure what you are referring to. Perhaps there is a different pier than the one where we were docked. You are right- that sounds very chaotic! We were on the Majestic which had maybe 4000 pax disembarking - I just didn’t see any problems. (We left the ship around 7:30) In case you are interested RomeinLimo was fabulous. (Maybe we didn’t know about not walking thru the port because we had a private driver?) Our driver took us to our hotel so we could drop our bags and then took us on a six hour tour. I hope someone else can help you with your bus question. Good luck!

Edited by turquoisesea
correction

You can disembark on your own, fairly early. There will be a free shuttle that will take you outside of the port gates, where you can get another shuttle (at a small cost) that will take you to the train station. The whole process should take an hour or less.

We disembarked from the Reflection last month on a Friday, and had made arrangements for a private driver to pick us up at the ship at 7:00 am. We took our luggage off the ship with us. We were at the FCO airport before 8:00 am, and had no problems making a 11:15 am flight on Delta back to the United States. Once we arrived at the airport, it took us about 45 minutes to check in, go through the security and passport controls, and walk to the gate.

Has anyone ended their cruise in Rome and would know what time they allow early pax to leave the ship?

As always, be prepared for the unexpected. I've disembarked there and had no issue, but once last year we arrived and right as disembarkation was about to begin, a huge thunderstorm rolled in and disembarkation was delayed. Can't recall how long but I'm thinking it was at least an hour or so? The issue was that, just like at airports, the "ground crew" was not allowed to work until the danger of lightning had passed.

We disembarked from the Reflection last month on a Friday, and had made arrangements for a private driver to pick us up at the ship at 7:00 am. We took our luggage off the ship with us. We were at the FCO airport before 8:00 am, and had no problems making a 11:15 am flight on Delta back to the United States. Once we arrived at the airport, it took us about 45 minutes to check in, go through the security and passport controls, and walk to the gate.

Almost the exact same scenario for us when we disembarked the Silhouette in Sept (including flight time)...but it did take us a bit longer to get to the airport (there was some construction) and the lines to check in (there were maybe 3 different security points) took longer. Still plenty of time to make our 11:15 Delta flight

Lots of good advise already but I want to add join your roll call and look for others who have early flights too and make up your own small group for a ride to FCO. We have used Rome Cabs in the past both for airport trips and local sightseeing tours from the port. We do express walk off so there is no time wasted/lost looking for luggage and have our driver waiting for us. If you are looking at that early flight you should be off by 7:30am at the latest.

i hope someone might be able to help me. We are taking the Constellation out of Venice ending at the Rome port ( that I can’t spell!) next summer. This past May we ended our Princess cruise there too and were able to disembark by 7:30 am. Has anyone ended their cruise in Rome and would know what time they allow early pax to leave the ship? I do remember that there was no customs check so it was a simple walk to pick up luggage and walk out to the pier. It is only a concern because the flight I want to book leaves at 11:50 am and that is the only nonstop flight home. I know we need to be to the airport by 9:00 at the latest.

I'm in NJ and have taken that same 11:50 non-stop flight home. I usually do self debark about 7:30 AM off the Celebrity ship. It's easy there. Then, I'm at the airport usually by 9-9:30 AM.

Thank you everyone for your advice! This is maybe our 23rd cruise and we always play it safe as we have had several unexpected delays in our history. So, I think we will stay in Rome on Saturday night and fly home on Sunday. No need ending a vacation with stress!

If you are going to stay over consider staying out near the airport and doing some touring around the countryside. We did that last year and enjoyed seeing some of the smaller towns and castles. We had a 3pm flight, our friends had a flight the next day so we were dropped at FCO at 1pm and then our friends were dropped at a hotel nearby.

We also exited the Connie by express walk off. We had a 6 pax van from rome taxi waiting for us with a sign & then took off to get to the airport in less than one hour. I recall that we were at the airport about 9:15am. It could take a little more time if it's during the rush hour during the week. The bus transfers offered by X have to wait until they are full & thus are much slower than private vans.