Voom Netflix question

hangfive

Does the Netflix via the Surf and Stream require a Netflix account to be viewed?

We are sailing on Radiance of the Seas, Sydney to Honolulu. I have read that the Netflix will be the USA Netflix, which we are really excited about. (Australia doesn't give access to a lot of the US content) We do have an aussie Netflix account, but hoping RCL streams it for free.

You need an account, but you should be able to log in with your Australian account and it will give you access to the USA stuff.

Thankyou! Another voom related query.......You don't happen to know if you can make voice calls to landlines via skype (with skype credit). I am trying to work out the best way to keep in contact with my 90yr old mum....who doesn't have a computer or even a mobile phone. I know I can do this on land worldwide.

Thankyou! Another voom related query.......You don't happen to know if you can make voice calls to landlines via skype (with skype credit). I am trying to work out the best way to keep in contact with my 90yr old mum....who doesn't have a computer or even a mobile phone. I know I can do this on land worldwide.

Yes, you can use Skype, FaceTime or any other digital calling provider.

Does the Netflix via the Surf and Stream require a Netflix account to be viewed?

We are sailing on Radiance of the Seas, Sydney to Honolulu. I have read that the Netflix will be the USA Netflix, which we are really excited about. (Australia doesn't give access to a lot of the US content) We do have an aussie Netflix account, but hoping RCL streams it for free.

Good luck, you never know what Netflix will detect as the country of origin for your IP address while at sea. Hopefully there will be no licensing issues.

We had Voom streaming on the Anthem a few months ago and the service was awful. They basicallly keep selling packages until the service is grossly over subscribed. You could get decent service early in the morning, then it went down hill. Skype voice and FaceTime voice calls would drop out. Really couldn’t “stream” on their streaming service.

Thanks for all your answers. Very helpful. I expect the dropouts. Also thanks to cruise critic, I now have most of the apps needed installed on my tablet. We don't sail until April, but I will def post my findings. I know Netflix is available to us worldwide, or at least in 190 countries, and that if we were on land I can access it. As said it may be a different story out in the middle of the Pacific..... maybe cos of the dropout issues? Netflix just won't show our favourites list, or the parental control feature (which I don't need!) when outside Oz. If it doesn't work well, DH will have to cope!

Re the Skype and FaceTime, I have my fingers crossed it won't drop out for quick 30 sec calls. Shame RCI don't give higher discounts for the longer cruises.

Thanks for all your answers. Very helpful. I expect the dropouts.

I have read that Radiance Class ships don't have Voom. Yes, they call it Voom but they still have the old slow WiFi not the high speed WiFi like on Oasis Class and Quantum Class. If that is the case you probably won't be able to stream Netflix.

I have read that Radiance Class ships don't have Voom. Yes, they call it Voom but they still have the old slow WiFi not the high speed WiFi like on Oasis Class and Quantum Class. If that is the case you probably won't be able to stream Netflix.

Even though Radiance does not have O3B internet like newer ships, the Stream tier has been reported capable of up to 4 Mbps down speed - that is plenty to stream Netflix.

Good luck, we were on Radiance for Alaska (August 2016) and Hawaii (May 2017). The same system is on there now and I struggled numerous times just to post pictures for my reports. It is the same system that was on there when we did Hawaii in 2016, they changed the name to Voom and jacked up the price but same old mediocre performance.

Actually, the prices have come down - before VOOM and the two tiers I believe the daily cost was $20/day and streaming was usually blocked.

I guess it depends on the ship. My Symphony cruise is advertising $11.99 but my Ovation and Explorer cruises have it at $14.39.