Rome embarkation for Epic

falkensmaze

So we’re picking up the Epic in Rome, which means Barcelona will be a shore day for us. As we have been there often we will most likely just do the city on our own so I am wondering how will we get out of port. Will there be an issue getting a cab as 3500+ people will be disembarking? Also as we board mid cruise will reserving shows etc be a problem. Will they be booked up by passengers who got on in Barcelona? I’m happy we are getting on in Rome as we have done the “regular “ route before but is there anything else to watch out regarding getting on mid cruise?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Rome embarkation seems to be improving, as more people do it these days, but there are still issues.

For shows and restaurants, the Barcelona people will have a head start on you for the early part of the cruise (whether booking online or onboard. However, you will have that advantage over them for the Barcelona, Sea and Naples days.

Taxis shouldn't be too much of a problem, as there are plenty in Barcelona, but check that there aren't loads of ships in port, and don't leave at a busy time. You could consider walking as you won't have bags. It isn't too far and quite a few people do it.

Also, if you are onboard then prepare for the Muster Drill. Get yourself a drink before the bars close and find somewhere away from the muster areas to sit.

The biggest criticism of Rome boarding is usually that it feels as though everything is based on Barcelona boarding (day numbering, sail away etc). Just understand that and don't let it worry you and you should be fine.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I took this cruise itinerary last fall out of Rome. I boarded the ship around 12:30 and my (studio) cabin was ready. I am sure getting to the port between 11 and Noon would be fine. According to the disembarkation sheet everyone on the prior cruise is asked to leave the ship by 9AM.

Disembarking in Barcelona for an independent reserved shore excursion was a bit of a challenge as I had to get off with all the 3000 passengers that were leaving with their luggage, it was raining and it was Referendum day in Barcelona! Fortunately I allowed extra time and found my group.

I made some dining and show reservations ahead (I think you can do this 45 days out) but had no problem changing them once on the ship. If you have any other questions about the Rome itinerary, please feel free to ask.

I am also boarding in Rome this summer.

Our entire trip will be 15 nights including 3 nights in Rome, 1 night in Rome and 4 in Paris after.

My question in about Laundry, We anticipate having to use the bag laundry service offered mid cruise. Is it offered on a different day for those boarding in Rome than Barcelona?

I am also boarding in Rome this summer.

Our entire trip will be 15 nights including 3 nights in Rome, 1 night in Rome and 4 in Paris after.

My question in about Laundry, We anticipate having to use the bag laundry service offered mid cruise. Is it offered on a different day for those boarding in Rome than Barcelona?

I did use laundry service on my cruise. When I asked my housekeeper when was "laundry day", she said "everyday". I probably filled my bag on Day 3 and had it back on Day 4. Hope that helps. It sounds like you will have an amazing trip.

The Rome embarkation seems to be improving, as more people do it these days, but there are still issues.

For shows and restaurants, the Barcelona people will have a head start on you for the early part of the cruise (whether booking online or onboard. However, you will have that advantage over them for the Barcelona, Sea and Naples days.

Taxis shouldn't be too much of a problem, as there are plenty in Barcelona, but check that there aren't loads of ships in port, and don't leave at a busy time. You could consider walking as you won't have bags. It isn't too far and quite a few people do it.

Also, if you are onboard then prepare for the Muster Drill. Get yourself a drink before the bars close and find somewhere away from the muster areas to sit.

The biggest criticism of Rome boarding is usually that it feels as though everything is based on Barcelona boarding (day numbering, sail away etc). Just understand that and don't let it worry you and you should be fine.

Keith thanks for the tips, we may have sailed Epic many times but first time boarding in Rome. I’d never thought about the Barcelona muster so will probably head to the pool.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I made some dining and show reservations ahead (I think you can do this 45 days out) but had no problem changing them once on the ship. If you have any other questions about the Rome itinerary, please feel free to ask.

You can book Cirque Dreams (payment required) and Priscilla (included) 90 days out. When I booked entertainment at 89 days (for the April 25 departure from Rome), one of the dates for Priscilla that was available was the 26th, when passengers from the earlier Barcelona sailing will still be aboard. Some other entertainment, iirc, could only be booked aboard ship, or didn't take advance bookings at all. For specialty dining 89 days ahead was too early.

Dining reservations open at 90 days as well. Occasionally they are not available straight away, but 90 days is when they should be open (100 days if you are in a suite).

Thank you. That's what I thought and I was surprised when I could book entertainment but not dining. However, specialty dining is now bookable for me, at 87 days.

Does anybody know what the percentage split is between people boarding in Barcelona vs. Rome?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I haven't seen specific information, but the CC roll calls for Barcelona departures seem to have many more posts than the ones for Rome departures. I chose Rome chiefly because it is easier to fly there from where I live.

So we’re picking up the Epic in Rome, which means Barcelona will be a shore day for us. As we have been there often we will most likely just do the city on our own so I am wondering how will we get out of port. Will there be an issue getting a cab as 3500+ people will be disembarking? ...

In Barcelona I would skip the Cab. There is a port shuttle bus. The stop is just outside the terminal entrance. It costs a few Euros and takes along the port, I would get off at the Rambla stop. That is assuming that is where you want to be.

You can then ignore the 3,500 people who are pre-occupied finding their luggage and figuring out how to get a taxi to the airport.