Need LOTS of help please

kel3420

I need lots of help planning a cruise. A little background, I took my mom on a cruise, first for the both of us, almost ten years ago, and had a ball. Hubbie and I took a cruise, first for him, approx 7 years ago, and it was awful. The employees were on the last week of working before their time off and their attitudes were awful, they so obviously didn't want to be there. It has taken me until recently to talk hubbie into going on one again, lol.

My father 62 and his wife have never been on a really nice vacation, beach, nice resort, etc. Hubbie and I have decided to take them on a nice trip. Dad wants to parasail, go on a snorkeling catamaran trip, etc. We threw around all inclusives in Punta Cana and Mexico, but ultimately decided a cruise is the way to go.

I have been put in charge of planning as I plan all our trips, but this one is really throwing me. I know I want to go to Carribbean or Bahamas, a 7 night cruise. I know I want a balcony for our two rooms but I also know I don't want to pay an arm and a leg. If there is a bargain to be found, I can usually find one. I am becoming overwhelmed by all of it, and thought maybe you cruise experts can help me. Ideally, we would go during my kid's Spring break, March 25, but I am finding high prices then, obviously because of Spring Break. We could also go anytime towards the end of February or beginning of March. So we are pretty open.

Price is a big concern. I know I can find 7 night cruises with balcony room, and NOT Carnival, for less then $1,000 each but would really like some serious suggestions.

What is the best cruise for the money? It is almost like there is too much information out there to make a wise decision.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

If you look for cruises in September, October, November you can usually find balcony cabins for less than $1,000 per person. I've cruised twice in balcony cabins for this price and have another booked for October on RC Serenade of the Seas for about $900 each. Also check for happy hour pricing. I checked Royal Caribbean prices and there are several 7 night caribbean cruises in January, February, September, October and November for between $879 and $1000 per person for balcony cabins.

Cindy

Well with the Bahamas or any of the Carribbean itineraries you should be able to swing parasailing and snorkeling. So the question really becomes what is your preference. At your price range Bahamas, Eastern and Western Carribbean itineraries should be possible.

Also what city are you out of? Could make a difference when factoring in air.

Here are some random balconies I found that I believe meet your non-Carnival criteria (note the first is Mar 25):

NCL - Norwegian Sun - Mar 25 - $915 ***

Departs From Miami, Florida visiting Costa Maya, Mexico; Santo Tomas De Castilla, Guatemala; Belize City, Belize; Cozumel, Mexico

NCL - Norwegian Sun - Feb 25th - $850

Departs From Miami, Florida visiting Costa Maya, Mexico; Santo Tomas De Castilla, Guatemala; Belize City, Belize; Cozumel, Mexico

Princess - Grand Princess - Feb 25th - $850

Departs From Galveston, Texas visiting Majahual, Mexico; Belize City, Belize; George Town, Grand Cayman; Cozumel, Mexico

Costa - Costa Mediterranea - Feb 19th - $999

Departs From Ft. Lauderdale, Florida visiting Key West, Florida; Cozumel, Mexico; Ocho Rios, Jamaica; George Town, Grand Cayman

Princess - Grand Princess - Mar 4 - $979

Departs From Galveston, Texas visiting Majahual, Mexico; Belize City, Belize; George Town, Grand Cayman; Cozumel, Mexico

Read the reviews about these boats book it with your preffered travel agent and enjoy!

Do you mean cruise only for under $1000 per person or do you want air too? Makes a big difference!

Just a word of caution, booking NCL during spring break week may make for an uncomfortable cruise for your Dad as the ship may be overrun by kids in the pools, in buffets, and running down the hallways.

Do you mean cruise only for under $1000 per person or do you want air too? Makes a big difference!

Just a word of caution, booking NCL during spring break week may make for an uncomfortable cruise for your Dad as the ship may be overrun by kids in the pools, in buffets, and running down the hallways.

She has a great point. Summer time and spring break can be 180 degrees from peace and quiet. There is a very fine line between getting away from the stresses of the every day world and being trapped in a place far worse.

If you look for cruises in September, October, November you can usually find balcony cabins for less than $1,000 per person. I've cruised twice in balcony cabins for this price and have another booked for October on RC Serenade of the Seas for about $900 each. Also check for happy hour pricing. I checked Royal Caribbean prices and there are several 7 night caribbean cruises in January, February, September, October and November for between $879 and $1000 per person for balcony cabins.

Cindy

on our first cruise planning on going in Oct. Jamaica, Cozumel, etc and we were told that fall was storm season so we pushed it up to late November. Thoughts? Just for this cruiser to know.

Price is a big concern. I know I can find 7 night cruises with balcony room, and NOT Carnival, for less then $1,000 each but would really like some serious suggestions.

What is the best cruise for the money? It is almost like there is too much information out there to make a wise decision.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

I would recommend looking at the end of February as that will be between President's Day holidays and most spring breaks starting so demand will be less.

Hello,

The other respondents have given you excellent suggestions. Here are some of my ideas....

Do not automatically rule out Mexican cruises from San Diego or Los Angeles. Princess, Celebrity, HAL, and RCCl have 7 day cruises from these ports at prices for balconies that you should consider.

There are airlines with reasonable air fares between Midway and the west coast

Above all, your adult family members are not preschoolers and they should not expect you to be a miracle worker. A cruiise is a great vacation but only if all concerned understands the pluses and negatives of this type of vacation. Calm down and you will be fine.

The rates are significantly cheaper Sept. - Nov. partly because of hurricane season. I've cruised 4 times in September and October and only had relatively rough seas (8ft) one day due to a nearby hurricane. All four cruises had beautiful sunshine and warm weather all week. If you choose to travel during hurricane season, its best to keep an open mind and remain flexible about exactly where you go. You may be scheduled for eastern caribbean and due to a storm you may actually travel to the western caribbean, or you may simply skip one island. If you know this is a possibility ahead of time and don't worry over it you will still have a great time. Any cruise is better than being at home or work. You can also get travel insurance, just in case. The end of November is the end of hurricane season so the chances are less to have a storm affect your trip. I actually prefer to cruise in the fall. There are usually less kids and the atmosphere seems more laid back and relaxed. I just watch the weather channel the week before the cruise and hope that if there are storms out there they stay away from my embarkation port. As long as I get on the ship, I'm not real picky where they take me. I'm looking forward to my balcony on the Serenade in October.

Cindy

Archived