Anyone ever have a problem with officers onboard

SocaGirl

Hello, I am relatively new to the posts. I am 30, single and usually sail by myself every year and I had a very serious issue last year with the officers onboard one of the ships. I reported the incident many times while onboard and again when I returned home and I really did not get a whole lot of satisfaction I guess because they are "officers" the incident was brushed off. I am ready to plan my summer cruise to Bermuda and I must admit that I am a bit hesitant. I was just wondering if anyone notices that the officers aboard the ships are still prowling towards single passengers?????

Hiicon_smile.gif I have sailed solo 4 times in a row...3 on Celebrity, once on Royal....never had any problems with improper behavior.

So sorry to hear (read) that something like that happened to you. icon_frown.gif

I love cruising solo and always have a wonderful time icon_biggrin.gif

Next up...HORIZON Sept 18th to Bermuda!

See My Century and Mercury Pictures at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising

If you are not interested in the attentions being lavished on you, I have found that a "really I am not interested" works well. Unless you were on Carnival I really having traveled alone in my 30's fail to see that someone would not speak to the officer. There are many pretty girls on board and I have enjoyed some great times with the people that I have chosen You really should not be having this problem, if you speak up. Or you could loosen up a bit and have a great time..... Best luck on your next seductive voyage.

DENISE

Next up Celebrity Summit 10/15/04

Carnival Fantasy 2/95

Carnival Fantasy 2/97

Carnival Facination 1/98

Dawn Princess 11/98

Sun Princess 11/99

Celebrity Century 10/00

Dawn Princess 5/01

RCCL Adventure 3/02

Dawn Princess 9/02

Grand Princess 9/03

Star Princess 1/04

I must say...I think this post paints a whole group of people with the same brush. While I'm sure there are offenders I'm also sure a number of good, loyal, professional, family men have found themselves tainted.

Dan

CenturyX1,GalaxyX2,HorizonX5,VolendamX1,

Zenith to Bermuda Oct/04

Century to E.Caribbean Feb/05

**email mrtnb(at)efni(dot)com

Maybe I needed to clarify the situation. I was in the disco having a glass of wine after dinner when I was appoached by an officer asking if I would like a drink and I very politely said no thank you. He approached me again asking for a dance and I again said no thanks. About one hour later he walked over and grabbed my wrist and said You Will Dance With Me and pulled me off the chair. I am not a prude but I do not feel that anyone needs to put up with that type of behavior. The amazing part about it was that the bartenders saw everything happen but really do not do anything about it because there is an obvious difference between crew and officer. I have also been on many cruises before where I did not encounter these issues but sometimes once problem can put a bad taste in your mouth. I was just wondering if anyone had encountered a similar situation. I never understand when fellow posters feel the need to react adversely when a simple question is asked.

Behavior like that has no defense...NONE.

All lawyers are crooks, all automotive shop owners are frauds, all doctors are quacks, all cops are crooked, all kids are punks...unfortuneatly your bad experience, posted in this forum, will reflect on all the ships officers, good and bad.

Sorry for your bad experience...hope it is never repeated.

Dan

Zenith to Bermuda Oct/04

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SocaGirl:

I never understand when fellow posters feel the need to react adversely when a simple question is asked.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's because talking about a problem with Celebrity on these boards is like telling the mother of a 10 year old boy he did something wrong (Not MY child...). Sometimes I think the only think I dislike about Celebrity is the arrogance of some of my fellow passengers.

I travel with my wife, and while we have never seen anyone have a problem like you described, it does bother us that the Officers and other members of the crew seem to overtake certain areas of the ship (like the disco..) after 11:00.

All in all, I think you'll be safe.

r2move2

Chew...you might want to read back in my history before calling me a "homer". While I very much enjoy this cruise line I have had a number of issues with changes that have been made in this cruise line...(don't get me started on "free" Captain's Club)!!

The conduct of the offending officer was worthy of being fired...at that same moment in time there were many officers doing their job in a professional manner. I am simply pointing out that the acts of a few shouldn't condemn the group, I don't think this makes me a Celebrity shill.

Dan

Zenith to Bermuda Oct/04

I wasn't referring to anyone particular, I just feel that the tone on this board is quite different than many of the others.

This poor girl had something happen to her that obviously troubled her, and it seemed that rather than helping her by answering the question she posed, people got very defensive.

r2move2

And yet we still don't know if this happened on Celebrity, or on Carnival, or on the QEII, or where.

So I don't think any of the defensive replies are really blind Celebrity defenses, folks.

Actually I was defending all the officers who conduct themselves properly...I don't care which cruise line.

Dan

Zenith to Bermuda Oct/04

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nitemare:

And yet we still don't know if this happened on Celebrity, or on Carnival, or on the QEII, or where.

So I don't think any of the defensive replies are really blind Celebrity defenses, folks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is absolutely correct. The original poster did not identify the cruise line. Direct question: Did it happen on Celebrity? Which Ship? Which itinerary? It's not an 'interrogation' just an information gathering excersise. If you would prefer not to say, ok, that's understandable. I think we (all) acknowledge that it is unacceptable conduct, regardless of which cruise line.

I think it's improtant to re-emphasise that the two other posters (as of this writing) who DID directly respond to the issue, that is, if anyone else had experienced it, responded that they had not experienced it.

It's unacceptable regardless of cruise line. No one should defend it. SocaGirl, do not let the incident deter you from cruising... by far the good outweighs the not so good.

I, too, would like to know which ship this was on. I've cruised independent for many years on all the major lines including all the luxury lines, and I've never experienced what socagirl did. Never once have I seen an officer behave in such a manner. Yes, there have been documented incidents with crew members not behaving in a decent manner, but I've not personally seen an officer behave poorly. I'm not in any way saying this didn't happen, I'm just saying that in my 17 or so cruises as an independent traveler, I've not seen it personally.

As to the comment about officers and crew taking over bars, I've not seen that either. Crew members aren't allowed to go into any passenger entertainment area during their off hours, but officers are, and I've never seen them "take over" any place. The officers do have a right to go into any club, bar or disco when they are off duty, but I've not seen any untoward behavior.

Darcie

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> there have been documented incidents with crew members not behaving in a decent manner <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be a vast understatement. While the vast majority (99.99 percent) of crew members will act accordingly with the great customer service that is expected of them, we must not forget that it was not all too long ago that lines such as Carnival (to list one incident) had women raped aboard their ships.

I think if you dig a little into the issue in past news reports, you'll find that this does occasionally happen. Does it happen enough to cancel your cruise? No. Does it happen enough to even look over your shoulder at night? Nope.

Personally, I'd be more worried about those freaky single male passengers stalking you than a crew member or officer :-)

Gary Kulash

www.badelephant.com

Carnival Holiday 8/02

NCL Majesty 1/03

NCL Norway 5/25/03

NCL Sea 7/03

Celebrity Galaxy 3/04

Celebrity Mercury 10/04

HAL Zuiderdam 12/04

Hi againicon_smile.gif

I posted my reply before you had posted exactly what happened....now I have read it...

How you were treated is totally unacceptable and I agree with Dan, that it would have been enough for a termination.

Now, should an Officer or any crew put a hand on me in that type of manner, lets just say his Superior would know about it in a heartbeat.

I am curious...did you speak to anyone after this happened?

I don't think anyone got defensive and nobody on these boards would ever suggest what happened was "ok"..This type of behavior isn't acceptable on any type of vacation.

Next up...HORIZON Sept 18th to Bermuda!

See My Century and Mercury Pictures at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising

Socagirl

Your original post said you had trouble with 'officers' while your description of the incident seemed to involve only one officer. Just for the purpose of clarity, did you have problems with other officers or are you referring to their failure to do anything when you reported the incident?

posted 05-24-04 11:20 AM by SocaGirl

Majesty of the Seas - May 31st-June 4th

"Anyone sailing on the Majesty next week??? My husband and I and some of our friends will be aboard and we are ready for some serious partying. We are all in our early 30's and hoping that we have a fun bunch on board!!!!"

I think we have been had by this person!!!

I just looked at the other posts by SocaGirl:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SocaGirl:

Hello, I am relatively new to the posts. I am 30, single and usually sail by myself every year and I had a very serious issue last year with the officers onboard one of the ships. I reported the incident many times while onboard and again when I returned home and I really did not get a whole lot of satisfaction I guess because they are "officers" the incident was brushed off. I am ready to plan my summer cruise to Bermuda and I must admit that I am a bit hesitant. I was just wondering if anyone notices that the officers aboard the ships are still prowling towards single passengers?????<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SocaGirl

Cool Cruiser

posted 05-24-04 11:20 AM

Anyone sailing on the Majesty next week??? My husband and I and some of our friends will be aboard and we are ready for some serious partying. We are all in our early 30's and hoping that we have a fun bunch on board!!!!

In one post "I am single......"

and in another "My husband and I......."

Which one is it? Interesting? I Do not believe any of that.

Wes

Archived