Voom internet package - I'm a skeptic

AdamKnows

What kind of internet speeds can I expect with a Voom internet package? Historically I've gotten internet speeds slower than dial up while on a cruise. Can you really consider Voom high speed? Can you really stream with the streaming package?

What kind of internet speeds can I expect with a Voom internet package? Historically I've gotten internet speeds slower than dial up while on a cruise. Can you really consider Voom high speed? Can you really stream with the streaming package?

Generally the Surf & Stream is limited to 5Mbs download, Surf only is 0.5 Mbs download. You will have better luck on the ships with O3b service, which are currently Oasis and Quantum classes, plus Freedom, Liberty, and Majesty.

Folks may fondly remember dial up but in reality even Surf today is better than that, in terms of speed. But, in overall performance, you could have it worse than dial up, if too many folks are on at the same time using up that finite pipe to the sky.

Just off the Oasis with Surf & Stream. For the most part we were able to stream Netflix and our DishAnywhere DVR in HiDef without problems. Maybe 5% of the time the streaming would switch to Low Definition but that was usually during heavy cloud cover. Heavy rain would take the internet offline completely.

Lou

• 7 months later...

Here are some measurements of up and download speeds on JoS (Mediterranean cruise), 7days, July 2018.

n = 36

Box = quartiles and median

Blue triangle = average

Whiskers= 95 % percentiles

Red dots= min / max.

RoyalWifi.jpg.219f809d8ed009a398f677822bf0988e.jpg

Here are some measurements of up and download speeds on JoS (Mediterranean cruise), 7days, July 2018.

Welcome to CC.

For most CC readers simple numbers to which they relate easier, looks like 1.5Mbps download from the graph, would be better.