Holland America has sent me four pounds of bulk mail in 2017

whogo

I have often wondered how much more affordable they could make their cruises if they were to cut out this type of advertising, particularly those lines already priced at a premium. It has never made swayed me towards a particular cruise and I don't think it ever would, though I have no significant objection to receiving the mailings.

On any number of cruise lines we see all the bumph about saving the seas, being environmentally friendly, yata, yata, yata.

Yet, prior to even booking we are inundated with mailings that, for us, go straight to the recycle without even being opened.

Then when we book, they suggest that we print out pages of data that are not really needed.

After boarding, it seems that we get flyer after flyer advertising services, retail, and specials. Into the trash can they go. That is before we even get to all the chemical laden photos. At least no every cruise line does the latter. Thankfully, a few lines have gone to displaying digital images instead of print.

Not to mention the bottled water that they flog on board. Let alone the carbon footprint required to print and distribute the bumph. I have no doubt that after we book the next cruise (they will get our address) the junk mail will commence. We would be very happy if that was not the case.

So, while they may appear to be keen on saving the seas it would seem that they are not as keen on saving the balance of the environment.

Edited by iancal