Zuiderdam in Dry Dock

greatdanemom

Hi,

Anyone know what the Zuiderdam will look like inside after this dry dock? I heard she will toned down- more like Westerdam. Any truth to that? Anyone with info? I'm sure alot of us would like to hear.

After reading these boards, the Unofficial Guide to cruising, Berlitz, etc it seems some felt the colors were too loud and "carnival like" while others thought it was new and exciting. I guess we'll find out what the feedback was to HAL after seeing the "New Zuiderdam" next week.

... some felt the colors were too loud and "carnival like" while others thought it was new and exciting.
Count me among those who think it's "new and exciting." Now, if it were neon and chrome, that would be another matter. But it isn't. I don't see how they could tone the decor down much without a major retrofit of fabric and fixtures. But, we'll see once she's out.

We met a couple on the Zuiderdam in May. They had been on her when she first sailed in 2002 and then again in 2004. They said that a lot of the rugs and fabrics had been changed and that she was toned down. We didn't think her colors were that bad. We saw the pictures in 2002 and were able to see for ourselves - there was a difference.

Just stumbled on this thread. We are going on the Zuiderdam on Jan.7 2006. We had no idea she was in dry dock. I sure hope this won't interfere with our trip. Any idea why, was it only for cosmetic changes? We had also heard that she was very gawdy, but in looking at some pictures it really didn't look all that bad. Maybe different in person. I have been searching over the last few months for a thread associated with our cruise but can't find anything. Is anyone out there taking the Jan. 7 cruise?

Sharron

Sharron,

This is a scheduled drydock for refurbishment of the Zuiderdam. We didn't find the ship to be gaudy at all. If you want to see gaudy take a cruise on a Carnival ship.

You should go to the Roll Call board an look for a roll call for your Jan. 7th cruise.

Richard

Just stumbled on this thread. We are going on the Zuiderdam on Jan.7 2006. We had no idea she was in dry dock. I sure hope this won't interfere with our trip. Any idea why, was it only for cosmetic changes? We had also heard that she was very gawdy, but in looking at some pictures it really didn't look all that bad. Maybe different in person. I have been searching over the last few months for a thread associated with our cruise but can't find anything. Is anyone out there taking the Jan. 7 cruise?

Sharron

Here's the link to the roll call for that sailing: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=241409

Archived