Subject: The meaning of Christmas?

cruiseorbust

In the busy days before the holidays, I wonder how many Christians really remember the true meaning of Christmas? While standing in many lines over the last few weeks, not only at the post office, the mall, the gas pumps, waiting on hold to order items over the phone, and adding up the wasted time sitting in traffic, I thought to myself....why has Christmas become all about us? To me it has become so commercialized.... who is getting what, and that guilt trip you put on yourself about who else do I need to add to my gift list/card list that might be getting/sending me one?

It truly makes me sad to think that this is what our world has come to. What about helping a friend, helping people that have nothing, hugging a lonely child, caring for people that are dying, etc., etc.

I hope all that read this take a minute to think about all this.

I will get off my soap box now! Thanks for reading.

My wife and I are not putting a tree or decorating. We are not buying gifts for each other. We are sending cards out to those who mean the most to us and will enjoy a weekend of family.

We feel we don't need all that this year because God has blessed us with a child to be born in February. What else do I need but my little girl. God's greatest gift to me.

The "true" meaning of Christmas is that Jesus came into the world to save those who will believe. Shouldn't we be giving gifts to Him. Cruiseorbust -everything you mentioned to do are truely gifts to God. If all Christians did one act of kindness at this time of year, what a glorious thing that would be. And now I will get off my soap box. Merry Christmas to all & a Blessed New Year.

I just posted on another thread the things that put a bounce in my step today, so I thought I'd post them here. (I'm usually loathe to respond to religious themed questions, as I find that what we value about our organized religion is substantially the same as what others value about their religion, and it is the similarities, not the differences that we should focus on. In the world today, if only....:( )

1. I just joined the board of a non-profit that helps with early childhood development and daycare for low income families.

2. I'm spending most of my day tomorrow wrapping 50 gifts for those children that I stood in line at Costco buying yesterday. For some it will be the only gift they get. I actually got chatty with the folks in line and had fun.:D

3.I get to present these gifts with my staff next week right before our office holiday party.

4. I get to see my god-daughter dance in the Nutcracker tomorrow.

5. I get to see my newest nephew this Christmas. He was born with drugs in his system to parents who weren't capable of caring for him, and my brother and his partner adopted him. He is now 100% healthy, and developing perfectly on all fronts, and has a loving immediate and extending family.

6. Number five above has brought my whole family closer together than we've been in years.

7. My family years ago went to the 'gift exchange' thing, where we pick a theme, set a $ limit, and buy just two gifts instead of twenty. People actually have fun thinking of the gifts, and get VERY creative. One of the highlights of Christmas morning is the laughter this causes.

I could yammer on for ever, but want to get to my point.

What's my point? Am I a saint? No, most definitely not.:eek: Do I deprive myself of material things? Not often, unfortunately for my checkbook! Am I a good Christian? DEFINITELY DEPENDS ON YOUR DEFINITION!:rolleyes: Am I a lot like you? Maybe, maybe not, but not because of the above. And not even because I'm Christian.

It's about my focus. I choose to focus on what's good in my life, and look at a problem like commercialization of holidays as an opportunity to refocus my life. Change my priorities. Find out what I value, and what makes me feel good.

And now to relate this to cruising before this thread gets moved away. Have you ever been in a long line to disembark? No direction from crew, slow moving lines, cranky passengers, and no water? I was recently, and it was one of the highlights of the trip. Honestly. Instead of complaining about something outside my control, and likely the control of the cruise line, I focused on the postive: As the line snaked back and forth from bow to stern, everytime we moved a few feet, we saw different people. It was a VERY social cruise for me, so in the space of two and a half hours, I got to do a last visit with almost everyone I met onboard. Lots of hugs, lots of kisses, exchanges of addresses, it was wonderful. Almost as if I wish they'd planned on this long line...o.k., sort of polyanna-ish of me I know, but it WAS the change of MY focus that made the experience pleasant.

Do the same with the holidays. Make it what YOU want, and, even if there are kids screaming for the newset Nintendo, or you get cut off in traffic as people scurry to get everything done, at least you'll be in a good mood, and focused on what's important. ....One person at a time, and the "celebration" you long for is quite possible.

Please just remember to enjoy your celebrations while allowing others to enjoy theirs too.:)

Happy Holidays!

Andrew

Andrew, I haven't been able to spend a lot of time here lately, but your eloquence once again makes me glad I checked in.

Continue to have a wonderful life this Christmas. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Susan

I get so tired of spending money...just for the sake of spending it...I would rather spend $1000 on something someone wants/needs than $50 on something that will find it's way onto a shelf and never be considered again.

I must admit...this season holds little joy for me anymore...the underlying message everywhere is spend, spend, spend....I know this is not new, I'm just tiring of it.

I would far rather spend that week on a ship...

Agree totally, the meaning of Christmas has gotten to be how much will you spend and what are you getting me...As I get older I yearn for the days when I was young and Christmas meant Grandma in the kitchen cooking all those good things for our Christmas Eve dinner, cookies, alot of fish dishes and all the family helping,,,It was much simpler then and everything was not about money...Such a shame that some people are afraid to say "Merry Christmas",,,I too say it and sing carols and celebrate the birth of our Lord:) ...Wake up people we are getting too "politically correct", enough....

Merry Christmas to all my cruise critic buddies and a Healthy and Happy New Year////:)

I would also like to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and to those of you lucky enough to be cruising, I hope this is the best Christmas ever!

Andrew, thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.

Garry

Actually I have a favorite Christmas Day activity...I walk to my parents house through a frozen marsh area, to call this place beautiful is a emormous understatement...I walk alone, (this year with Jib I expect), and reflect on how lucky I am.

Walmart just can't sell you that feeling of peace...

Andrew, thank you for sharing your beautiful experiences with all of us...

Holidays have a variety of meanings for each of us. For some it's all about family...for others it's all about charity.

Whatever your particular circumstances, I'd like to wish each and every one of my Cruise Critic friends a very Happy and Healthy Holiday Season.

Karyn

Delivered Just today:

This morning, me and some other co-workers delivered over 180 presents and 38 apple boxes of food/toiletries and $1,000 worth of gift certificates to help make 6 familes and 31 children be able to have Christmas this year.

Also....

What I am trying to create for my family. I am want to create traditions for my children. When I look back on Christmas when I was a child I don't remember what I got, I remember what we did and who was there. We don't have a particularly large extended family here, so the traditions will be important. I want them to remember the Gingerbread houses, the cookies we baked, the Christmas Eve dinner, looking at Christmas lights, watching Christmas movies, christmas morning presents that Santa brought, Christmas brunch.....just the "whole" event. Not, I got a Xbox,or something. Also, when they get older I will incorporate the meaning of christmas.

We also say "Merry Christmas" in this house and listen daily to Christmas Carols!

I wish everyone the best possible holiday season and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

My youngest grandaughter is 2. When we put out the nativity this year we told her it was the mommy the daddy & the baby Jesus. She said -"OK-mommy, daddy, baby cheeseman". I believe the Lord laughed, just as we did. After some coaching, she can say Baby Jesus now. She always reminds us to pray at dinner. At the end of the prayer she sings "Amen, amen, amen, amen, amen". She is such a blessing to us. You are never too young to know the real meaning of Christmas. Though it may take a while to fully understand it. We incorporate Santa too!

I'm directing the school Christmas play "A Charlie Brown Christmas." I have 25 2nd - 5th graders who have been working hard on this after school. It's so cool to see them really get into the characters that I've been watching on TV for so long. We will present our play Tuesday night for parents and Mon - Wed for our students. My school does not have a problem with the religious parts of the show which is great! (and we're a public school!)

Maybe we will touch someone's life next Tuesday!

I think we all find the true meaning of Christmas at our churches. Tonight will be special for us: we will have a Christamas pageant after our Saturday evening mass, put on by the religous education dept. Our grandchildren attend, and my grandaughter was the lucky lady chosen to play Mary. (drawing of names). My grandson says he is the head shephard. They will also have a real live baby, and needless to say my grandaughter is a little nervous!

We have some snow here in Kansas, so the evening will be magical.

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate......

gracecarmo-Have plenty of film & the video camera ready too. I know it will be a magical night for all of you. How wonderful to show the grandchildren the pics & video afterwards, to keep the magic from ending.

amber14- I pray that many lives both young & old will be touched by your play. God bless you for your patience working with small children.

I can really feel the real meaning of Christmas coming through from all of these posts. Thanks everyone.

I want to thank you all for putting me in the Christmas mood. I've just been through a really bad time because of a bad reaction to a new pain medication and really didn't have the Christmas spirit. You all put things in perspective for me and I sincerely thank you.

:mad: Humbug you say? Yes, there's a lot of humbug going around.

A good thing for you to do would be to get yourself out of this holiday rat race, make yourself a cup of hot cocoa, sit down, sip it and contemplate your good fortune, just being here to editorialize on the condition of the human spirit.

I would strongly recommend a good dose of "A Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens, followed by a double helping of "It's A Wonderful Life." This should be followed up, of course by "Miracle on 34th Street" and that should do the trick. Forget about what others are doing and just get yourself into the "true spirit of Christmas" which you mention. If we all do that, then it must happen!

PREVIOUS CRUISES:

Jun 1989, RIVER CRUISES, -- Paddlewheeler Julia Belle Swain, GD

Sep 1993, US NAVY TIGER CRUISE, USS Halsey CG23, HI-CA, EXC

Nov 1997, CAPT. COOK CRUISES, Murray Princess, Australia, EXC

Jan.1993, RCL Majesty of the Seas 1st big cruiseship, we were green

May 1998, US NAVY TIGER CRUISE, USS Fife DD 191, HI-WA, EXC

Apr 1998, US NAVY TIGER CRUISE, USS Fife DD 191, HI-WA, EXC

May 1999, DELTA QUEEN STEAMBOAT CO, Delta Queen, EXC

Sep 2000, US NAVY TIGER CRUISE, USS Fife DD 191, HI-WA, EXC

May 2001, HAL Maasdam. E. Caribbean, VD

Feb 2002, HAL Rotterdam, S. Caribbean, exc. ship decor, EXC

May 2002, CARNIVAL Pride, W. Caribbean, garish decor, VG