Top 10 Posters

hoppelk

• Administrators
Therefore, I understand perfectly why cruise critic has changed its focus.

We haven't changed our focus at all.

We are *the* premiere cruising resource on the internet. All cruise forums are specific to their topic. There are many gray areas, as everyone knows. Why, some of the very people posting on this thread know what it is like to receive an e-mail from me re: why their posts were moved/removed.

This is a moderated community, as they'll share with you without a doubt. We remove what we feel isn't appropriate content for the forum within which it was posted.

As a matter of fact, *my own finger* was poised above the REMOVE button on this particular thread as I asked myself "what does this have to do with cruising on Celebrity?". However, it is the holiday season and, well, even the Red Stiletto Lady gets warm and fuzzy -- sometimes.

Seriously, we do have another forum where folks can just get together and chat -- Floataway Lounge. That is what it is meant for...and it is USED constantly by those who have met here on Cruise Critic, found close friends and love cruising.

Sorry, but I don't agree with you.....SS.....this *is* a cruise community and we are on focus.

Laura

Laura was correct when she said no one was exempt, not even hosts, when the changeover was made, and posts were lost. Only new members that had joined with in that period between April and June!! She is also correct that the focus of CC has not changed. Being a five year member of CC, the largest and most informative cruise forum in the world, administration and staff have kept an even keel on posts that stay, and those that go!! What we have to remember, is with the hundreds of thousands of members, we all have differing opinions, which is a good thing because it gives the cruiser all sides to look at and choose what is best for them. All posts should be respected. It cannot be helped after posting for a very long time for like long time members to form bonds. We have all strayed and chatted, and Laura respectfully brings us back to the fold!! That is the responsibility of administration, and for people that join with other agendas, that is also taken care of in a timely manner, and should be expected!!:)

Two comments in response to previous posts:

I do NOT think a travel agent can give you the information that is shared here. I'm constantly sending photos, sources for stuff the TA has never heard of (like the pole cabin issue). And I learned it here. I'd be sailing blind without cruise critic.

They, just like the office personnel at Celebrity simply do not know what really goes on during sailing when they haven't cruised on the same ship as you are talking about. Sometimes they just want to "be rid" of you and your question so give an answer, any answer to satisfy you. Example, the dress code for a short cruise. It simply was not as travel agent or Celebrity told us it would be. Many other examples too numerous to mention here. Thanks cruise critics.

Someone said that CC became almost like instant messenger. Well, 2nd comment is that perhaps that is a better way to get rid of the off topic interruptions. Just email your cruise friends. Talk about the pertinent topic on a thread.

If the argument there is that new lurkers will not understand that friendships are made, then a "I'll email you." in a post will suffice.

i don't email many of my fellow cruisers, but if it is off topic, I will. Recent private emails involved private parties, time share ownership etc. that do not belong on the boards in my opinion.

There may be answers to original questions contained in some threads, but you have to wade thru the "drivel" to find them. I've also noticed that somone will ask a new, pertinent question, which will be ignored by the next poster who is interested in completing his joke or martini with a previous poster.

Cute double entendres are fine, but making fun of someone is not. Some people do not express themselves clearly in English, but don't make fun of them, for goodness sake. Heard of the golden rule?

We'd have a tighter question/answer/rebuttal/comment board if we emailed personal information to a poster that would not be of value to the general populace and keep the boards full of friendly questions/answers/rebuttals/comments.

I think the OP has a nice idea and encourage him/her to go forward.

As in most new threads... the OP set out on a mission that has now been completed by someone else (by the boss lady no less:D). This thread has now evolved into questioning why people post so much. The reason is usually that people find something of interest and post their own opinion. Many of these opinions are simply ignored while members of "the club" have a private discussion of their own. Is this a waste of time? Of course. But I love it, nonsense, hysterics, pessimists, optimists, cheerleaders, calumnists, blow hards, die hards etc... I just love to dig for those golden nuggets that make it all worthwhile. As for the drivel... it's just so much verbal diarrhea and I take meds for that.

As in most new threads... the OP set out on a mission that has now been completed by someone else (by the boss lady no less:D). This thread has now evolved into questioning why people post so much. The reason is usually that people find something of interest and post their own opinion. Many of these opinions are simply ignored while members of "the club" have a private discussion of their own. Is this a waste of time? Of course. But I love it, nonsense, hysterics, pessimists, optimists, cheerleaders, calumnists, blow hards, die hards etc... I just love to dig for those golden nuggets that make it all worthwhile. As for the drivel... it's just so much verbal diarrhea and I take meds for that.

Well said, but since I don't know the secret handshake or code word for members of "the club" I guess I can't make this a private conversation. However, since it is my own personal opinion and expressed nonsensically in far too many words, surely it qualifies as verbal diarrhea. Please pass the meds.

Susan

My objective was not to question the reasons why some people post so much, or are addicted to the net. It was to express my opinion that as long as cruise critic considers it a status symbol to be a high volume poster, and doesn't care if that number is inflated with off topic posts about a poster's dog, cat, personal issues, job related problems, etc, this forum will continue its trend of becoming more of a generic chat room and less of a cruising resource.

as long as cruise critic considers it a status symbol to be a high volume poster, and doesn't care if that number is inflated with off topic posts about a poster's dog, cat, personal issues, job related problems, etc, this forum will continue its trend of becoming more of a generic chat room and less of a cruising resource.

And I don't disagree at all.. I just wish that all references to non cruise related topics had a section of their own..

cats, dogs, hobbies, birthdays, obituaries etc... have nothing to do with X or RCI, or HAL but some will say that is harsh and like to read the soap stories that makeup their lives..

But this is not a perfect world and this is not my board..

And I don't disagree at all.. I just wish that all references to non cruise related topics had a section of their own..

Oh, but we do. It's called the Floataway Lounge and all kinds of nonsense is discussed there! Sometimes the discussions even have a tenuous link to cruising!:D

Meanwhile, some incidental nonsense will always appear on the main boards. Personally, I find most of it at least mildly amusing and always appreciate the effort made by the posters. Cruising is fun, why shouldn't discussions of it reflect that?

:)

Susan

Oh, but we do. It's called the Floataway Lounge and all kinds of nonsense is discussed there! Sometimes the discussions even have a tenuous link to cruising!:D

Meanwhile, some incidental nonsense will always appear on the main boards. Personally, I find most of it at least mildly amusing and always appreciate the effort made by the posters. Cruising is fun, why shouldn't discussions of it reflect that?

Susan

Susan -- At last some good old common sense and a lot of tolerance. Good for you!!!!!

Well, I'll probably get flamed also but I just don't get the whole post number thing. What makes people so special that have a lot of posts? Does it mean that they are helpful and answer lots of questions? Perhaps. But even if you answer one question a day that should only be 365 posts a year. Where the posts add up are answering a question and then posting again and again on the same thread. How many people answer the same answer in the same way of the previous posters just to up their post count? I'm taking my first Celebrity cruise after cruising on Princess for years. The Princess board also has the same people who post on every thread but you guys over here really get off subject. Very few questions will be answered without someone getting off subject. It does get old sometimes trying to wade through it. And you'll notice that most of the replies to this thread is from the posters who post all the time so they aren't going to see a problem with it. I've been around forever. (yes, lost my original posts too) I answer a question when I feel I have something important and different to say. And now I realize that I sound really snotty but why do you post just to up your count??? By the way SS Cruise Lady, I have less posts than you !!!

Susan

nu2sea, I couldn't agree with you more. If there isn't a little bit of silliness allowed in the posts that remain on the "serious" board, it sort of strips away a lot of the whimsy that is the very soul of cruising.

Archived