Are the RC newer, larger ships too overwhelming?

luv2sleep

I have an autistic child with pretty severe social anxiety. He even goes to a special school because of this. I am looking at the Harmony OTS ship. Even to me it looks anxiety provoking. So huge compared to a Disney and older Carnival ship (all I know so far)! So much to do! So many places to eat! How do you all even decide what to do every day? Is going on this ship a mistake? I am worried it will overwhelm him so much that he will shut down and won't want to leave the room. Even on the smaller ships we have cruised on he struggles with the numbers of people everywhere and often wants to retreat to the room. Anyone have severe anxiety or have children or family members with severe anxiety and did ok on the larger ships? Thoughts? Thanks!!!! :)

I’m not sure how old your son is, but I have a 5 year old who is autistic and also has anxiety. We took him on Allure last year when he was 4.

In terms of crowds, the areas that are typically crowded on most ships (buffet, pools on sea days, elevators, etc.) were crowded on the Allure just like other smaller ships we’ve been on. It was also very loud nearly everywhere (something I used to be oblivious about prior to having a kid with ASD), so the noise cancelling headphones we brought came in handy.

He did need to spend a lot of time in the room, but that happens on every vacation we’ve taken him on. He needs that time to decompress. You probably already know this, but Royal has a special needs department you can call ahead of time. There are certain ASD friendly accommodations they offer.

It doesn’t sound like a good idea to take a cruise with him period. I would either take a trip to a small All-Inclusive or maybe try a horse ranch. There are several in Montana, Wyoming and Colorado.

Look up “Majestic Dude Ranch” in Colorado. Much quieter, slower paced, and less crowded for a person who won’t do well around lots of people. Similarly priced, possibly a little more, but a great experience.

EDITED: Just reviewed my info on that particular ranch and I was mistaken about cost. It is WAY more pricey than a cruise, sorry. But I still recommend it as a great vacation option if you can afford it. There are similar places around here that are cheaper, but the one I recommended is much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ColoradoGurl

You don't HAVE to do "everything" all the time. On a larger ship, you have choices....apparently, you've cruised with your child before and it went well...on a larger ship, you will simply have to time your activities to when there are fewer people about. Port days are great for that! You always have your cabin for "quiet time", when needed. Larger ships offer more options, and more spaces to escape the insanity (when present!)....Really, it will be no different than your other cruises....just more ship..that's all.

Wrong ship for your purposes - Harmony has an awful layout and less space than other Oasis-class ships as the slides took away about 30% of the space - pool deck and boardwalk feel very cramped and crowded...

I get a bit claustrophobic in Central-Park and the Boardwalk - very narrow and high rises on both sides with hundreds of balconys "starring" at you.

I really disliked both spaces....

My high-functioning autistic child absolutely loves cruising. His disorders include ADD, OCD, sensory issues and extreme anxieties.

Now 14, we've done many cruises since around age 7. The earlier years were a bit more difficult than it is now, probably due to experience and knowing what to expect. (Unknown changes and too many choices are particularly troublesome for him)

We sail in suites whenever possible -- he does enjoy spending time in the room, and of course we all love the extra perks of the suite-life!

We did the inaugural 3-day when the Harmony first arrived here and had a great time, and will be on the Symphony next December, but honestly our favorite ships are the Enchantment and the Brilliance.

Only you know your child best, and only you can make that decision for him, but since you already have some experience I think you would be OK on the Harmony. Just remember you don't have to do everything that is available, take it easy at your own pace and enjoy the ship.

Happy Cruising :D

There is a program called Autism at Sea that may be able to help. I don’t know personally about it but friends of ours are using it for an upcoming cruise with their Autistic son. Google it to see if you can find more info.

Edited to add - it’s called Autism on the Seas.

I don’t have experience with these issues, but it does seem to me that Oasis class ships seem/feel less crowded than other, smaller ships. It seems to me that there are so many different things to do that people just naturally space themselves out.

There is a program called Autism at Sea that may be able to help. I don’t know personally about it but friends of ours are using it for an upcoming cruise with their Autistic son. Google it to see if you can find more info.

Edited to add - it’s called Autism on the Seas.

We do not have a child with ASD, However, we sailed on the Explorer once when an Autism of the Seas group was onboard. They did an excellent job. Some of the children were pretty far on the spectrum. They had a separate room for meals in the Main dining room to minimize noise, etc. They also had organized activities and times set aside for the group.

We were impressed.

I don’t have experience with these issues, but it does seem to me that Oasis class ships seem/feel less crowded than other, smaller ships. It seems to me that there are so many different things to do that people just naturally space themselves out.

Depends on the activity. If you want a WIndjammer seat or a shaded space in the solarium, it's pretty crowded.

I just got off the Anthem which is my third mega ship, and have been on 11 smaller ships. The layout of it was wonderful. The windjammer (buffet) at later breakfast times (9-10) was packed and lunch from about 11-1 but other than that we didn't see crowds or lines anywhere. Even shows in the main theater you could arrive to 5 minutes before and it was half empty, no problem getting seats. It was by far the least crowded and noisy ship I've been on and it was sailing at two hundred people over double capacity so it wasn't that there weren't people! My 7 year old also has anxiety disorder and sensory disorder.