Glacier Bay - How long are you there on a Princess ship

FrickeNomads

My DW and I will be taking our first cruise in May on the Ruby Princess. On May 23rd, the ship will be scenic cursing Glacier Bay. As the 23rd is a sea day, I also want to see about getting my DW into the spa for something but of course I don't want to schedule that while we are cruising Glacier Bay, which I'm thinking is going to be one of the highlights of the trip.

Is someone able to confirm the approximate time of day and how long a ship is in the bay? I'm under the impression you are generally in their early and sailing out at about 10:30 or so.

You are viewing Glacier Bay from 6 am to 3:00 pm. It is an all day viewing though most go out only at peak times.

If you click on this link:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B3TSeQ-5rgseMG12SURyMGR0M00

And then click on the Glacier Bay day, you will see the timings. Peak time will be 9:00 - 12:30 or so. I would even be outside before 9 am. I would probably schedule something at 3 or 4 pm if possible. Most people will go inside by 2 pm but I am usually outside as much as Is can. I hope this is helpful.

As you cruise near Glacier Bay you will be entering a known humpback whale feeding area before picking up the park staff at Bartlett Cove. It’s a good time to be up early before even entering the bay. As Coral noted, in the past we’ve usually picked up the rangers at around 6am although on one trip it was 10am.

If your ship has a naturalist they should be letting passengers know approximate times you will be transiting areas of increased chance of wildlife sightings throughout your cruise. Once in Glacier Bay the park service narrates.

There should be a time posted on your itinerary? Especailly if your day prior is Skagway or Juneau it is frequently 6am. From this entry time, it is at about 3++ hours before seeing the glaciers, all port side. first is a sail by of the Reid which people seem to easily miss. next is Lamplugh, may be a partial view if the schedule has the the ship going there later. Margerie and the Grand Pacific are the 2 time is spent at, usually about an hour. ship rotates for viewing. So maybe, schedule your spa later afternoon?

If your ship has a naturalist they should be letting passengers know approximate times you will be transiting areas of increased chance of wildlife sightings throughout your cruise. Once in Glacier Bay the park service narrates.

Princess does have Naturalists. I agree with Glaciers that they should be letting people know when there should be good wildlife viewing and when they notice something (pod of orcas, etc..).

It is always a good idea to seek them out early and ask them approx times for wildlife sightings on specific days. If they are good - they should give you times, etc.. I always try to become friends with them early on. Some have been very good and sometimes you will get one who is not as "informed" unfortunately.

Does your itinerary have any short port days (other than GB)? I ask because for pricing reasons, the GB day is considered a sea day versus other actual port days, and pricing on port days is a little cheaper. For example, my Princess Alaskan cruise is going to be in Victoria at 7:00 PM, so I scheduled a couples massage in the afternoon and got the slightly less port day rate.

Does your itinerary have any short port days (other than GB)? I ask because for pricing reasons, the GB day is considered a sea day versus other actual port days, and pricing on port days is a little cheaper. For example, my Princess Alaskan cruise is going to be in Victoria at 7:00 PM, so I scheduled a couples massage in the afternoon and got the slightly less port day rate.

This is a good point as I didn’t realize pricing is a bit cheaper on port days. There certainly time on the Ketchacan day to consider.

Sent from my iPad using Forums