Formal Wear on Zui

caviargal

It has been 20 years since my last HAL cruise and I remember it being quite formal, which I enjoy and appreciate.

I am now taking a group of 200 on the Zuiderdam in March and have been reading these boards to learn more about the ship. It seems that the dress code is somewhat lax on the sailings of this ship and the other Vista class ships; is this true? I was quite surprised to read this.

I have sent my group a copy of the dress codes from the website and asked that they adhere to them but would like to know if the ship tolerates such things as jeans, shorts, etc. in the dining room at dinner.

What percentage of men are likely to be in tuxes? Women in gowns?

Also, can anyone tell me about the venues for dancing in the evenings? Is there live jazz? a disco? Is there a wine bar onboard?

Thanks in advance.

CG

The dress code was very relaxed last May when we sailed the Zuiderdam.

But DH still wore his tixedo on formal nights and I wore my long gowns.

On informal nights DH wore pants, sport jacket and tie. I wore a dressy dress.

With a group as large as yours, I would suggest to them that everyone follow the dress code and set an example for the others on board.

I just got off the Zuiderdam and it was very lax. Some nights people were in there with t-shirts on! There did not seem to be any enforcement of dress code whatsoever. I do not recall whether I saw jeans. You've made them aware of the dress code and there is no more you can do. I just remember thinking last week that the board members here would be having fits over what I was seeing in the dining room, lol, :).

Marie

I guess every cruise carrys different crowds. On our Zuiderdam cruise I don't remember seeing any jeans in the dining room (doesn't mean they weren't there) and on formal nights I would estimate 30-40% of the men were in tuxes and ladies in formal wear. The worst thing that we experienced was seeing a few passengers in the Lido wearing uncovered swim wear. It's not a plesant thought to have a hairy man in a tank top rubbing elbows with you when you are trying to jocky for position in the buffet line.

As for music in the lounges, the best that we found was a man and wife duo in the Ocean Bar that played great dance music. We would go there every evening for before dinner drinks.

Richard & judie

Archived