Scooter Rental

Anyone know the approximate cost to rent a scooter?

You can bring your own scooter on board, but be sure it will be narrow enough to to enter your stateroom AND go beyond your bed as you enter your cabin. Otherwise the scooter will have to be disassembled. Check with RCI before you board for any restrictions. They will ask for your scooter's dimensions to ensure your cabin will be accessible. You'll find scooters will be welcome on board, but you should visit the dining room upon boarding and ask the maitre'd for a table near the entrance to the dining room reserved for scooters and/or wheelchairs. Good Luck!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Anyone know the approximate cost to rent a scooter?

Rental costs from both SpecialNeedsatSeas and Scootaround vary based on the following criteria ;

• Port of embarkation
  • Port of disembarkation
  • Number of cruise days
  • Number of pre-cruise days and if the company has to pick it up from the hotel to get to the ship
  • Number of post-cruise days and if the company has to pick it up from the ship to get tothe hotel
  • Weight and height of end user
  • Type of scooter based on weight capacity and height of end user
  • If Insurance is purchased

Scootaround's midsize scooter and SpeicalNeedsatsea's standard scooter will fit through the door of RCCL's standard cabins regardless of ship. If booking on an Oasis Class Ship that has alternating rroom configurations make certain the room configuration has the bed by the balcony otherwise the scooter will no fit into the cabin. If a bariatric or full size scooter is required you'll have to book and accessible cabin..

We have an outside accessible cabin on Grandeur. My husband needs the scooter only on the ship. It is really just a precaution - my husband had a minor stroke a few months ago and has some weakness in his legs. He had some trouble on the Anthem a few months back but of course the Grandeur is a much easier walking ship. I guess I will call Special Needs to see what they say. Thanks for the information.

We have an outside accessible cabin on Grandeur. My husband needs the scooter only on the ship. It is really just a precaution - my husband had a minor stroke a few months ago and has some weakness in his legs. He had some trouble on the Anthem a few months back but of course the Grandeur is a much easier walking ship. I guess I will call Special Needs to see what they say. Thanks for the information.

The two companies referenced earlier are your best bet, as they will have it in your cabin when you get onboard and will pick it up from your cabin when you disembark. I’ve rented them several times for my husband who has a neurological disorder. He has good days and bad days, so sometimes he needs it and sometimes he doesn’t. In my experience, it is MUCH better for BOTH of you if he has the scooter and barely uses it, than if he doesn’t have it and neither of you end up being able to enjoy the trip the way you would have liked. (This, btw, was how I convinced my husband to get it when he was being stubborn about it). Knowing that he has the *choice* of either going back to the room to rest or use the scooter and stay out and enjoy the trip is worth far more than the $30 a day.

Also, FWIW, I’ve seen it reported here that if your scooter won’t fit in the room, you can take it to guest services and they will store it for you. This is less than ideal, but will get the job done if your room won’t accommodate the scooter. But if you have an accessible cabin, you shouldn’t have a problem because those doors are larger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's always best to contact both Scootaround and SpecialNeedsatSea to compare costs. Both will provide quotes and are not high presured.

If you are looking for a quick and dirty estimate it’s a little under $30 per day for someone under 250 lbs and of average height.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"Quick and dirty "quotes mean nothing unless the embarkation and disembarkation ports are stated. OP did not state port of embarkation nor ship.

For example : taken from actual rental agreements from Scooteraround ( CareVacations) Special Needs

• R/T New Orleans --- $42.00 per day
  • R/T Seatle ---------- $33.00 per day
  • R/T Ft. Lauderdale-- $25.00 per day
  • Miami to San Diego --- $48.00 per day
  • R/T Baltimore ------- $42.00 per day

"Quick and dirty "quotes mean nothing unless the embarkation and disembarkation ports are stated. OP did not state port of embarkation nor ship.

For example : taken from actual rental agreements from Scooteraround ( CareVacations) Special Needs

• R/T New Orleans --- $42.00 per day
  • R/T Seatle ---------- $33.00 per day
  • R/T Ft. Lauderdale-- $25.00 per day
  • Miami to San Diego --- $48.00 per day
  • R/T Baltimore ------- $42.00 per day

The OP asked for rough estimate.

Why didn't you just write that in the first place?

Yes, but then how to get it to the port???

Try googling Solax Transformer. I got one for my with and it is great to travel with and we even take it on planes. It costs around $2,000 so it would depend on how much you travel as to whether it’s worth the cost. We have already taken ours on 8 cruises so I think we’ve gotten our money’s worth. We could have sold some too because when people on the ship see it folding or unfolding by itself with the push of a button, they stop and ask about it. It’s great in the cabin also. You can fold it up and stick it in a corner. I did get an extra battery and charger for ours. We found out that if you are gone several hours from the ship, and especially if the streets and sidewalks are uneven, you need the extra battery.

Most of the major USA port cities have accessible taxis.

There are also portable scooters that easily breakdown to fit into the back of a van or car trunk. Fast forward to the 54 sec. mark of this link

Additionally if you are doing a pre cruise hotel stay per ADA if the hotel offer shuttle transportation to the port and it does not have a lift than the hotel is required to arrange accessible transportation. If the hotel shuttle is free than the accessible transportation is no charge to you. If there's a fee the hotel can only charge you the same fee regardless of the cost of assessable transportation.

Lady Hudson, I do not know what your circumstances are, I can only share mine. There is a lady on the "disabled threads" that was extremely helpful to me.

Without going into detail, I became partially disabled, unable to walk more than short distances. We already had a cruise booked for this past October. Had to fly to Miami.

Everyone suggested I rent a scooter....then I started looking up how much it was to purchase one instead, as we cruise once or twice a year....so why waste money renting. (plus, I could use it at home, not just for cruising) After much research...I found one at Walgreens. (you must weigh less than 250 though). If I remember correctly, it was $499, but I found a $75 coupon on-line....and free delivery. It was perfect! Nothing fancy...but a life saver. Had no problems whatsoever with the airlines. They store it and bring it to you when you land. (free). Any questions, please feel free to ask.

Are you suggesting talking to a live human on the phone???

Yes. Thought that was understood when I stated "call" .

People are afraid that they're going to be pressured into renting something they may not want. Both companies are not high pressured and will gladly give a no obligation quote. For the time it takes to post on CC to go back and forth with general anwers to something that has definite criteria involved vs. the end user , had the individual just called to begin with they would have received an answer that personally suits their needs.

To xxoocruiser - maybe because I value the answers given by the knowledgeable cruise critic folks? Maybe because when the topic first came up with my spouse it was long after the scooter companies were closed and was looking for a quick response? (I am cruising January 2 to January 20 and needed to act quickly.) As usual, on cruise critic, I received much valueable information. I fail to understand the criticism. Happy New Year. Katherine

To all - my husband needs the large size scooter. If his leg situation does not improve then we may consider buying - if we can figure how to get said scooter and luggage as well into the car. Thanks for all the suggestion. Katherine

Much luck to you Katherine and hoping you both have a Happy New Year.