Swimming with the Sting Rays

Giantfan13

This is our first time going to Antigua and we are looking for things to do. We really do not like spending the day on a beach somewhere, so we are looking for other options. We did a Sting Ray tour in Grand Cayman a couple of years ago and it was very nice. We see they have a similar one on Antigua.

Can some one recommend a tour that just does this particular tour and about how much. We are on a tight budget from other tours. We did see a tour on Expedia for about $45PP but I would always value recommendations from fellow CC members over some ad on Expedia.

Also, what is there to do around town? We like to wander around and take pix and was wondering what are the main attractions in town?

Thanks for any help

Cheers

Len

Main attractions in town? None. Get out of town. I did the sting rays when I was on island for a couple of weeks. Entrance fee was $50. You also have to get there and it's on the opposite side of the island from the port. I really enjoyed it. You might find a taxi driver who would take you there, wait a couple of hours and bring you back. Trips to see the sting rays depart at specific times e.g. 11:00am and you should book in advance. You'll be back in two hours. Sting Ray City would be about 40 minutes from the port. The other big non-beach attraction in Antigua is Nelson's Dockyard - a UNESCO site. You can look it up. Again, a cab ride since it is on the south coast.

If you like animals there is the donkey sanctuary (may have to rent a car to get here) as well as the stingrays. Zip lining is also fun although it may be tame for the non beginner. We went snorkeling at Cades Reef using rhino riders which was fun also. All of these things other than the sting rays I did use a car for. Nelson Dockyard was really nice.