Viking Ocean Final Payment Date

katz

Please tell me how soon Viking requires final payment after a reservation is made. We are looking at a cruise in July 2019. About when would we be required to make the final payment.

Our experience, several years ago, with the river cruises was that payment had to be made not long after the reservation was made and deposit put down. We made the reservation, probably six months to a year before the sail date. I can't remember the details. I jus remember that I didn't like their policy.

Comparing cruises and the payment policy might make the difference.

Thank you for your help.

Thanks, everyone, for the information. The cruise we are interested in only has one sailing a year and sells out. I checked yesterday and some of the cabin categories were already waitlisted. This is a July 2019 cruise. I will ask our TA to try to negotiate a six-month final payment. I just makes me mad that I have to give VO the money so far in advance. I would rather be sitting on it, then them sitting on it!:)

I appreciate your help. Happy New Year!!

Thanks, everyone, for the information. The cruise we are interested in only has one sailing a year and sells out. I checked yesterday and some of the cabin categories were already waitlisted. This is a July 2019 cruise. I will ask our TA to try to negotiate a six-month final payment. I just makes me mad that I have to give VO the money so far in advance. I would rather be sitting on it, then them sitting on it!:)

I appreciate your help. Happy New Year!!

Yeah but you can reserve over a year in advance with $1000 ($500pp). Your TA should not have to "negotiate" anything. Just expect it. If you don't get it then demand it. And happy new year to you as well![emoji322][emoji322][emoji322][emoji322]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I booked our Med Odyssey cruise in January 2017 and paid 25% deposit. The balance was paid at the beginning of December 2017, and our holiday is this March. I've read a few times on these boards that Americans seem to pay most if not all the cost of the cruise months in advance. Doesn't seem fair to me.

I booked our Med Odyssey cruise in January 2017 and paid 25% deposit. The balance was paid at the beginning of December 2017, and our holiday is this March. I've read a few times on these boards that Americans seem to pay most if not all the cost of the cruise months in advance. Doesn't seem fair to me.

Being an American I should have the same advantages as you, but not quiet. Same itinerary, different date. Cruise is April 2018. Booked June 2017 with $500 pp deposit. Final payment due in Sept 2017. So I think 'fair' is a matter of perception. Second cruise with Viking and this was much better than first booking as to what your point is. Homelands cruise, September 2016. Booked March 2014, before the ship was built! Final payment was in 2014 sometime. Just saying...

Being an American I should have the same advantages as you, but not quiet. Same itinerary, different date. Cruise is April 2018. Booked June 2017 with $500 pp deposit. Final payment due in Sept 2017. So I think 'fair' is a matter of perception. Second cruise with Viking and this was much better than first booking as to what your point is. Homelands cruise, September 2016. Booked March 2014, before the ship was built! Final payment was in 2014 sometime. Just saying...

When Viking Ocean first started I agree that the payment rules were pretty harsh. We also reserved and made final payment for the Viking Homelands in July 16 before the ship's keel had been laid (reserved) and entered sea trials (final). The policy has been updated and much improved since. Like you I'm an American.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A few months ago I booked a cruise for June 2019. They asked for final payment in December 2017. I asked if this could be adjusted, the agent (I was working directly with Viking) checked with a supervisor and agreed to make final payment December 2018. This would not have happened had I not asked. Hope this helps.