Long time Carnival cruiser who just booked 1st Royal Caribbean cruise

My girlfriend finishes her PhD next year so we decided to take a trip to Europe to celebrate and we eventually decided that we wanted that trip to be on a cruise. I’ve cruised Carnival exclusively for 12+ years (I’m in my late 20’s) and my girlfriend has for 8 years and, while we still love Carnival, thought we’d try something different. Thus, we booked our cruise with the Jewel of the Seas which I think is a “Radiance” class ship. Anyways, what should we look forward to from Royal Caribbean in comparison to Carnival? Has anyone been on the Jewel of the Seas? What was your experience on that ship like? We’re very excited to see what this cruise line has to offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My girlfriend finishes her PhD next year so we decided to take a trip to Europe to celebrate and we eventually decided that we wanted that trip to be on a cruise. I’ve cruised Carnival exclusively for 12+ years (I’m in my late 20’s) and my girlfriend has for 8 years and, while we still love Carnival, thought we’d try something different. Thus, we booked our cruise with the Jewel of the Seas which I think is a “Radiance” class ship. Anyways, what should we look forward to from Royal Caribbean in comparison to Carnival? Has anyone been on the Jewel of the Seas? What was your experience on that ship like? We’re very excited to see what this cruise line has to offer.

Thanks for coming over from the dark side. I have tried Carnival 3 times and I have been on 6 different cruise lines. Carnival is just my least favorite by a long shot.

I have never been on Jewel so can’t help there. I think the biggest differences I found:

1. Decor more subtle on RCI

2. More food choices( not for pay) on Carnival

3. More Entertainment choices (shows) on RCI (liberty and allure)

4. The best dessert: Carnival’s chocolate melting cake 😈

Have fun!

Differences?

1. the fleet is basically much easier to traverse. On Carnival, you often have to go up and then down to get from one end of the ship to the other...(ships are all build off one basic design at Fincanterri shipyards).

2. Royal has the promenade..shops, bars, eateries, a wide open interior space that is, frankly, dramatic.

3.This is the one that gets folks excited and angry. It is a different "type" of passenger. Not saying one is better than the other, but different.

4. You will find RCI has a stricter dress code in the Dining rooms. You decide if that is good or bad.

We (by our signature) prefer RCI, but we also sail Carnival.....have never had a bad experience on RCI, and only one poor cruise on Carnival....like the Breeze, Magic and Conquest.

5. Extra charge dining: Both have steakhouses, comparable. RCI has Giovanni's table, far superior to Carnival's Italian dining. RC has SABOR, nothing comparable on Carnival.

6. 24 coffee shop on RCI, 24 hour ice cream on Carnival.

Better to compare ships than lines, especially with those two who have a wide variety of ships that can differ quite a bit from one another.

Your ship will not have the promenade referenced by another poster as it is a Radiance Class ship.

Better to compare ships than lines, especially with those two who have a wide variety of ships that can differ quite a bit from one another.

Your ship will not have the promenade referenced by another poster as it is a Radiance Class ship.

I agree, compare ship to ship. Also keep in mind, every ship/line has rowdy people, out of control drinking, unsupervised children, etc. etc. For anyone to say Carnival draws a "different" type of passenger is just their opinion as is everything posted on cruise critic.

My husband prefers Disney, didn't care for RCI and has't been on Carnival. My sister prefers NCL over Carnival. I'm currently booked on my second RCI, but I love Carnival. So go, have a great cruise and form your own opinion from your experiences. Each cruise is different.

we booked our cruise with the Jewel of the Seas which I think is a “Radiance” class

I hope you come back and let us know what you think. I have done Jewel twice and soon that will be 3 times. Its a nice ship that we enjoy, its 13 years old now and doesn't have many of the WOW things you see on TV commercials. i've only cruised Royal, but almost went on a family Carnival cruise, but the organizer died in the process. I almost booked a Carnival Sunshine cruise just to see a favorite Entertainer.

The Radiance Class ships are by far my favorite. Outside dinning at the Windjammer cafe and views aplenty from anywhere on the ship. The Radiance Class have a yacht like feel to them. We have been on Carnival several times and find the customer service is better on RCCL. Enjoy your cruise.

I think there are alot of differences between the two. In my opinion, Royal ships are definately nicer,have better food,less party atmosphere. While Carnival in my opinion has better service, better night life. Shows are a wash, unless you include the ice show. There has been many a time we would not see a bar waiter/waitress on RCCL for over an hour. This doesnt happen on Carnival! Food was in my mind ALOT better on RCCL. As far as ships are concerned, RCCL ships just give you an AWE sensation, they are layed out nicely, look beautiful and are a step or 2 above the carnival ships

I am also trying out Royal Caribbean after cruising three times on Carnival. From my research, Royal has an older average age. I will be cruising exclusively on the larger ships and there seem to be more food and activity offerings.

Carnival Paradise - August 2015 - 5 nights

Carnival Splendor - August 2016 - 6 nights

Carnival Magic - August 2017 - 8 nights

Royal Caribbean Harmony of the Seas - August 2018 - 7 nights (booked)

Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas - August 2019 - 9 nights (booked)

Differences?

3.This is the one that gets folks excited and angry. It is a different "type" of passenger. Not saying one is better than the other, but different.

From the dozens of videos I've seen and conversations with friends who have sailed, this is something that they all reference. In part, different price ranges attract different clientele.

From the dozens of videos I've seen and conversations with friends who have sailed, this is something that they all reference. In part, different price ranges attract different clientele.

We are loyal Royal cruisers but have been on 4 Carnival cruises. The clientele on both lines is very similar. Some on this board may not agree, guess it makes them feel better. Also, if you shop carefully, the price between the two lines is not that much different; surely not enough to attract a different clientele.

We are loyal Royal cruisers but have been on 4 Carnival cruises. The clientele on both lines is very similar. Some on this board may not agree, guess it makes them feel better. Also, if you shop carefully, the price between the two lines is not that much different; surely not enough to attract a different clientele.

I, for one agree with everything you said. How do people see a clientele difference? By the way they are dressed? I have seen slobs on Carnival, NCL, RCCL and Celebrity. I have also seen clientele dressed to the max on Carnival, NCL, RCCL and Celebrity. So, if you line all of these people up, you would be able to tell what cruise line they sail on? :confused::confused::confused:

The prices of cruises on Carnival' s newest ships (Vista and Horizon) are less expensive than Royal Caribbean's newest ships (Harmony and Symphony).

We have sailed a lot on CCL and also on RCI...and have been on the Jewel. We LOVED the Jewel with the glass wall on the side of the ship that the elevators traverse...just gorgeous. There is NOT a promenade on Jewel OTS, it is more like a larger CCL ship, but more beautiful. As for the food, we always find that CCL's food FAR surpasses RCI in both the main DR and lido...but that is open to personal opinion. We have found better entertainment on RCI than CCL for the most part, including the Jewel OTS. The passenger demographic has ALWAYS been much the SAME on both RCI and CCL - they both cater to the 'masses'. The time of year and length of cruise does change those demographics on BOTH lines however. We also found the Jewel to feel much less crowded than any CCL ship we have been on (ratio of space:pax capacity is the difference). I think you will LOVE the Jewel, as the Radiance class ships are not that different from CCL larger ships (but Jewel is actually larger than the largest CCL ship).

I am a Carnival Cruiser also, (20+) cruises on Carnival. I went on the Majesty of the Seas years ago and did not like it at all. I am giving Royal another chance, going on the Independence, much bigger and it looks beautiful. I did some research and what I can see from research not been on it yet (going Jan 13) is that Carnival offers way more free food options especially at lunch and it looks like Independence is very limited. Not sure if you have been on the 2.0 upgraded ships on Carnival but they offer many options (Guy's Burgers, Blue Iguana Cantinia, Mongolian, Lido Buffet, Deli, some ships have the Guys BBQ joint, Tandoori, Capitano's Pasta restaurant and of course pizza.) All included in the price. I will miss that when I go to the Independence but thats ok I want to change things up. We will see

I am a Carnival Cruiser also, (20+) cruises on Carnival. I went on the Majesty of the Seas years ago and did not like it at all. I am giving Royal another chance, going on the Independence, much bigger and it looks beautiful. I did some research and what I can see from research not been on it yet (going Jan 13) is that Carnival offers way more free food options especially at lunch and it looks like Independence is very limited. Not sure if you have been on the 2.0 upgraded ships on Carnival but they offer many options (Guy's Burgers, Blue Iguana Cantinia, Mongolian, Lido Buffet, Deli, some ships have the Guys BBQ joint, Tandoori, Capitano's Pasta restaurant and of course pizza.) All included in the price. I will miss that when I go to the Independence but thats ok I want to change things up. We will see

LOVE all of the lunch options on CCL. The best of any cruise line!!!

I have always found the shows and live music to be much better on Royal, though I wish Royal had the comedy club every night like Carnival. Food is generally better on Carnival but still good on Royal. If you don't like this Royal ship, try a voyager or freedom class (with an ice rink) next time.

You might read this thread --> https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2528185

Edited by Jimnbigd

Overall I have found the food to be better on Carnival. Most of the ships are better on Royal. That being said, the Jewel is not one of them. All the things that set Royal apart for their ships are not on Jewel. No flowrider or Royal Promenade. The spa section on Carnival Ships is way better than Royal. Don't listen to the people who say the clientele is different on Royal. The exact same type of people cruise both lines.

As experiences may vary from line to line, ship to ship, as well as sailing to sailing, it maybe be better to just ignore the subjective comparisons and just go on the cruise. If curiosity is getting the best of you, read a couple of positive reviews just to find ideas for things to do or explore. Positive reviews tend to give more information about what's available on the ship as opposed to negative which are more food, service, and entertainment focused. Even then, don't take their word as gospel. Happy sailing.

We had been exclusive Carnival patrons, about 6 cruises. Our last 2 were on the Jewel out of San Juan. Here is what stands out to me:

Jewel is a much prettier ship than any Carnival ship we were on. Loved the glass elevators.

Food was mixed: loved the stone oven pizza, deli sandwiches and especially guys burgers on CCL. Did not like that there were so many pay options on RC.

The buffet was so much better on RC for all meals.

MDR food seemed about the same, mediocre on both.

I disliked that the adult pool on the Jewel was an indoor pool. Unbelievable to me that in the middle of the Carribean the only adult pool was in a stuffy, humid area with plastic plants. There was a retractable roof that never was opened. CCL ships we have sailed on have had an adult only pool area where you could feel the sun and fresh air.

I do hate to say so but did feel the clientele was a little more upscale on Jewel ( with many exceptions),the feeling was more posh without being stuffy (again some exceptions). Hard to put into words but have to say it!

We would choose RC ships in the future for the more beautiful decor and buffet (where we eat more of our meals)