Never been to the extra $$ restaurants.......

soccermomof4

"The food was good but for us not so much better than the MDR"

you have got to be kidding. The food quality and service are not in the same league. The steaks are Ruths Chris quality, charbroiled to perfection. The MDR steaks are baked in an oven and not nearly as tender as the Steakhouse.

Not kidding. Maybe we hit a bad night on the Pride? All I know is my experience. My husband enjoyed a good steak and neither one of was impressed enough with our meal to want to repeat on any subsequent cruises. I'm sure he thought it was better than the MDR flat iron steak (although that is not what he called it :rolleyes:). We traveled & dined out a lot during our 33 years together and he was a "grill master". The steak was the most disappointing part of the whole meal when we visited David's. We tried it - and it wasn't for us. My opinion and experience are not going to be the same as everyone else.

We went to the steak house once. We were a group of 6, it was Valentine's day. To begin with, all was well. We got our drinks and food ordered. They started seating groups of 2 and 4. They were served way before we were. They got their appetizers before us and were even served their entrees before we got our appetizers. We mentioned it to a waiter (very nicely). The waiter stated it was policy that smaller groups are served first. WTH? The maitre d brought us a bottle of champagne. ( we DID NOT ask for any compensation). The food was delicious, but doubt we'll ever go back.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Restaurant owner here and it has nothing to do with serving small groups first, makes no sense. We make the food as the tickets come in. My guess is your server put in her order after the 2 top, probably an accident. I can't say it hasn't happened in our place either. Your attitude of "one and done" is very disturbing as a restaurant owner. If you do this at home, are there any restaurants left in your town you might eat at. Everyone makes mistakes, I might have discounted your check and definitely offered an apology. I try to ensure everyone who visits my restaurant leaves happy.

We have been to the steak house on the Breeze and the Dream. Both were great. Because I was so stuffed by the time for the dessert course, I asked for mine "to go" to take back to the cabin and they were more than happy to do this.

Restaurant owner here and it has nothing to do with serving small groups first, makes no sense. We make the food as the tickets come in. My guess is your server put in her order after the 2 top, probably an accident. I can't say it hasn't happened in our place either. Your attitude of "one and done" is very disturbing as a restaurant owner. If you do this at home, are there any restaurants left in your town you might eat at. Everyone makes mistakes, I might have discounted your check and definitely offered an apology. I try to ensure everyone who visits my restaurant leaves happy.
Don't get me wrong, we enjoyed the meal. The main reason we went at all was because our fellow cruisers wanted to go and it was Valentines Day. It just didn't impress us 70.00 worth. We have always been happy with the MDR.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Forums mobile app

Just an FYI ... there are other dishes besides steak and they will make something for a vegetarian if you advise them when you make your reservation or at least before you go there.

Of all the ships we’ve eaten in the Steakhouse, the Pride was my least favorite - which is kind of strange because I thought the rest of the food on the Pride was very good.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I had never done the steakhouse until our thanksgiving day cruise. I was seriously missing out all these years. For 35.00, it is an excellent meal. A meal like that on land would easily be $50. When we eat out at home at our favorite seafood restaurant, the entrees cost 25.00 or more. Here, you get five courses and very good choices. We had same dilemma, knew we didn't want to take the kids but we ended up all adults going and my 18 year old niece decided to go last minute. I have a cruise planned in October for my birthday and have already booked the steakhouse for my dinner that night.

Thanks everyone -- we haven't decided and may not until we're onboard. Some of us aren't huge steak lovers (it's okay) others are but none are connoisseurs. I am budget conscious like some of you -- although it's only $30 But there are 6 of us. Anything we do is expensive hahaaa. Totally wishy washy huh!

I would like to try something new but can think of other ways to spend my money -- like excursions. I think Chefs Table looks awesome albeit more $$

Anyway, Thanks for the input. It will probably be one of those spur of the moment decisions. Just wanted thoughts on if you enjoyed it. For the most part, with a few exceptions, it sounds like a lot of you do enjoy it. I'll let you know if we go.

Another thing to look for in the fun times is the steakhouse cooking demonstration. It is free and usually the 1st sea day around noon. It starts in time and fills up early. They give samples of food the demonstrate and it is good. It may convince some to book in the steakhouse later in the cruise. You get free wine the first or second day though. It didn't matter to me for October, I won't book the first day anymore and don't like to miss the elegant night meal in mdr so I booked for our third night. I will look for my review and post here for you.

I've had 42 dinners in the MDR on Carnival and have only had one meal I did not enjoy and it was because the main dish was prepared in a way I didn't expect.

The specialty restaurants are just another revenue stream for the cruise line. That's how I look at it. I like to stretch my cruise dollar -- eat in the MDR and get a couple of drinks by the pool. Or spend money in the local economy of islands that were hit hard by the recent hurricanes.

Do what you like. Recommend checking it out once - this would be a good opportunity to go with friends. Report back here.

Never been to the Specialty restaurants because I am satisfied with the main dining room. It's not the money, however, since I buy 16 five dollar Florida lottery tickets instead and play 2 at each main meal. You win in about 1 in 4 tries so at worst, you might come out with $20.00. Then again, maybe not. ................... You might be a thousandaire! There is also the support from my fellow companions at the supper table cheering me on to victory! Got a cruise coming up in a few days and the scratch off tickets have been bought. I can hardly wait. Wish me luck.

I must say that I find it interesting that so many people in these forums are so perfect, never making a mistake in their personal lives, never late and always pleasant in their outlook.

That's the only conclusion I can come to based on how many expect perfection in their lives.

Like really, people complaining about their service being a little slow, really? You are on a cruise, sit back and enjoy the trip.