Grand Princess Questions

Snoozeman

I will sound like a newbie, but I have a few questions about the Grand Princess. It will be my first sailing with Princess for while and my first time on the Grand.

1. Is there self debarkation?

2. Is there an adult-only or restricted time pool?

3. Are there any smoke free bars?

4. Does anyone have menu's from recent Grand cruise to share?

5. What are the best entrees?

6. What are the best desserts?

7. Is there a vegetarian selection each evening at dinner?

8. Are there amenities in the bathroom? (non suite)

9. Is there a hairdryer in stateroom?

10. What drinks are available during the day? (i.e. punch, juice)

11. Is there a repeat guest reception?

12. Do they have a caribbean band on Galveston sailing?

13. Any unique to the Grand only events? (i.e. the Rocky Horror show on Conquest)

14. Is it Texan friendly?

a. ice tea

b. salsa

c. mustard (for burgers)

d. good steaks

e. good beer

f. friendly people

g. good-lookin' women

Thanks in advance for your reply. Please pick a number and feel free to answer. Your opinions count with me.

I'm a 3rd generation Texan, and I'm pretty sure in all my 39 years I have never heard a Texan ask that. I think I might need to some i.d. from you, Mister. ;)

-gina-

hey Gina

yeah, I know. Looks bad, but it's the DW (promise). You can't get much more rural than I am and I do enjoy my steaks!!!!

BTW--just finished a "bowl of red" and now I gotta go out and feed the animals!! Really.

I will sound like a newbie, but I have a few questions about the Grand Princess. It will be my first sailing with Princess for while and my first time on the Grand.

1. Is there self debarkation? Yes - but you have to get a ticket.

2. Is there an adult-only or restricted time pool? Aft pool, spa pool are adults only.

3. Are there any smoke free bars? Promenade lounge (away from the bar itself), Lobby Bar, Wheelhouse if you don't sit right at the bar

4. Does anyone have menu's from recent Grand cruise to share? I have them mostly memorized.

5. What are the best entrees? Seafood generally good, excellent pastas, lunch selections in dining room are sometimes outstanding.

6. What are the best desserts? Souffles. And all the other stuff. Even the sugar-free selections are good. Don't forget to ask for ice cream - it's free.

7. Is there a vegetarian selection each evening at dinner? Yes.

8. Are there amenities in the bathroom? (non suite) Yes.

9. Is there a hairdryer in stateroom? Yes, but it's weak.

10. What drinks are available during the day? (i.e. punch, juice) You mean for no cost? Water.

11. Is there a repeat guest reception? Yes. For repeat guests.

12. Do they have a caribbean band on Galveston sailing? Yes.

13. Any unique to the Grand only events? (i.e. the Rocky Horror show on Conquest) Texas Hold 'Em poker tournament.

14. Is it Texan friendly? They let Okies on board. You be the judge.

a. ice tea Don't go there.

b. salsa Go to Majahual for great salsa.

c. mustard (for burgers) If you must...be sure to attend the mustard drill.

d. good steaks Steakhouse is usually okay, but their porterhouse ain't Texas size if you catch my drift. Filets are good, so are ribeyes. Alberta beef is better.

e. good beer No, they've got Shiner.

f. friendly people Yep, plenty of Okies.

g. good-lookin' women There's one behind every tree!

Thanks in advance for your reply. Please pick a number and feel free to answer. Your opinions count with me.

What a bunch of comedians:) Hope we have that much fun in 28 days!!

Anyone online now, check out the Galveston web cam. Grand seems to have lost some power (6:30). Hasn't even cast off bow lines as yet. I thought she was supposed to leave at 4:00.

http://www.galveston.com/webcams/harborhouse/home.htm

What are the best desserts? there are a LOT of great desserts. One of my favorites is a rasberry soufle

Is there a hairdryer in stateroom? Yes

Is there a repeat guest reception? Yes for the Captain's Circle

Is it Texan friendly? Very, I heard our cruise was over 80% Texans

d. good steaks -- I didn't think so being from Texas we get some pretty good steaks down here and I was very dissapointed in the steaks even at the Steakhouse. Also keep in mind that they overcook them. If you want it medium rare order it rare!!!

f. friendly people -- yes mostly

jjnewboots:)

It sorta gets to me that folks who live in steak country go on a cruise and then eat steaks. Not trying to sound bad, but if you already get good steaks, then why try something that might not have the ability to stand up to what you usually taste?

Jim

It sorta gets to me that folks who live in steak country go on a cruise and then eat steaks. Not trying to sound bad, but if you already get good steaks, then why try something that might not have the ability to stand up to what you usually taste?

Jim

I agree. Alot of the main course dishes are very good even though when you read the menu you go...."Huh? Maybe I'll have a steak." I been on 4 cruises and I've always ordered off the "right" side of the menu and I really haven't been disappointed yet. Enjoy.

The answer to that one is simple.

We always order the different dishes offered on a cruise. It's an excellent way to try something new that we'd probably

never order at a "pay" restaurant back home.

Some of the meals are great; some are just okay. But after three or four days of playing hit-or-miss, we start craving

what we are used to: S-T-E-A-K

When it comes to food, some people may not like variety, some may not be adventurous, and some may feel more comfortable with food which they are familiar. I’ve seen all types on a cruise.

I personally do usually try the variety of entrees not usually available to me. That is the point I think your trying to make. And I do wish people would take the opportunity try something new. I do admit that on my 12/4 cruise I had steak 6 of 7 nights though. It was just good and I'd had my fill of Turkey, etc. from Thanksgiving I guess. On my previous cruise on that same line (CCL) 9 weeks earlier the steak was not good. I also admit that after reading Rob & Joanne's’ posts I went to the Alberta, Saskatchewan, & Canadian meat council web sites to do a little comparison shopping yesterday. I also went to the local feed store this morning and would never admit that. I could be strung-up.

One of the reasons a cruise vacation works well for us a couple is that DW is a vegetarian. We know that each of us will find something that we like on the menu. No problems in finding a mutually acceptable restaurant in an unknown location when your on a cruise.

I agree with Princess Bride though, even when enjoying the variety of selection of entree's I have to at least try the steak once or twice on a cruise. BUT, and I think this is true of most Texans, the first place we go to eat after a cruise is Tex-Mex.

We usually just stop at a Sonic.

Had to smile when I read that!! :) Just like an Okie!!

(Actually the Sonic in Hearne Texas is on my way to Galveston & I have made it my last meal b4 boarding--the steak&cheese on the coney bun was good)

Rob, does the Top Hat mean anything to you?

I hear ya buddy - but..... I chose the cruise so I wouldn't have to go the day before and pay for a hotel, and I already paid for parking at Ez Cruise for the week. I'm not sure I like the idea of Princess hearding me into one of their hotels (or at least one they seem to have an agreement with) so that I can get processed faster than those who don't stay at the hotel overnight.

As we read about the changes in itinerary, schedules, tender problems, etc etc my wife keeps telling me to take a "chill pill" - I know it will all work out, but so much for the relaxing vacation just up the road :-)

I can take quite a bit - but do they really let Okie's on the ship???????

Archived