Policy Change on Extensions Cords and Confiscation ?

calex

On board the Getaway now. DH and I both separately took extension cords, no one confiscated them. They were in our carry ons not our luggage. I also took a power strip (not surge suppressor) that was also not confiscated. On our last cruise on Royal, my extension cord that was in my luggage was confiscated but DH’s which was in his carry on was not.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

81eguGXk0wL._AA100_.jpg

• Eligible for FREE Shipping
  • Amazon has this power strip made by "Cruise On". I wonder if this would be acceptable?
  • With all the electronics we all have now I can't imagine how to charge them without some sort of extension cord.
  • I've read there are USB ports in the balcony cabins on Escape. Can anyone confirm this?
    This is a gift

I was asked to look at this product on another thread, and quickly found that the photos show wording on the label on the back mentioning "vpr" (voltage protection rating), which is a measure of surge protection. The poster who asked about this, contacted "Cruise On", and they claimed that the "advertising copy was incorrect, and would be fixed", but that was weeks ago, and the ad copy still shows this wording. So, I have my doubts that this is actually not surge protected, and the "VPR" on the back would tip sharp screeners that this is in fact surge protected.

I was asked to look at this product on another thread, and quickly found that the photos show wording on the label on the back mentioning "vpr" (voltage protection rating), which is a measure of surge protection. The poster who asked about this, contacted "Cruise On", and they claimed that the "advertising copy was incorrect, and would be fixed", but that was weeks ago, and the ad copy still shows this wording. So, I have my doubts that this is actually not surge protected, and the "VPR" on the back would tip sharp screeners that this is in fact surge protected.

I don’t see vpr listed on the back of the charging cables for my wheel chair but I’m concerned if there is any reason the cruise line could reject use of the charging cable of my wheelchair.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don’t see vpr listed on the back of the charging cables for my wheel chair but I’m concerned if there is any reason the cruise line could reject use of the charging cable of my wheelchair.

I'm assuming that since you say you looked on the "back" of the "cable", that there is more to it than just an electrical cord. Is there a "power brick" like a laptop computer has? If so, just show that the charger is part of the wheelchair (same manufacturer, or model shown) and there should be no problem. Also, contact special needs ahead of time to let them know you are bringing a power wheelchair and that you are concerned that someone may deny your charger, and get something in writing. Does the cord have a two prong plug or a three prong plug? If it is two prong, there is no possibility that it is surge protected, as a surge protected device needs a connection to the ground wire. Further, I would put the charger in some type of carry bag and have it on the wheelchair on embarkation to show it is part of the chair, and they probably won't question a thing. You will also be there to discuss it, rather than having to go to security afterwards to get your bag if it is in a checked bag.

I'm assuming that since you say you looked on the "back" of the "cable", that there is more to it than just an electrical cord. Is there a "power brick" like a laptop computer has? If so, just show that the charger is part of the wheelchair (same manufacturer, or model shown) and there should be no problem. Also, contact special needs ahead of time to let them know you are bringing a power wheelchair and that you are concerned that someone may deny your charger, and get something in writing. Does the cord have a two prong plug or a three prong plug? If it is two prong, there is no possibility that it is surge protected, as a surge protected device needs a connection to the ground wire. Further, I would put the charger in some type of carry bag and have it on the wheelchair on embarkation to show it is part of the chair, and they probably won't question a thing. You will also be there to discuss it, rather than having to go to security afterwards to get your bag if it is in a checked bag.

The charging cable is 3 pronged but the batteries cannot be charged with any other cord.

I checked with Norwegian Cruise line and the only thing they have a rule against is surge protectors because these present a fire hazard. Most power cords are not surge protected unless you specifically buy them to be such.

Aside from medical equipment used or needed in and for stateroom use, like CPAP, most charging needs can be taken care of with a single multi-usb port charging cube (see picture below) and I combined it with a short 6" outlet extension with an outlet tap. I bring along a 6' and 10' USB extension cord to charge items by the bed, as not all NCL ship's stateroom has USB charging port. (Mine is an Anker 4 port, newer ones provide 6 hi-outputs .. and it runs cool)

Otherwise, a short 3 prong extension cord, non-surge suppression type, is also in our gadget pouch. Have a 110 & 220 volt adapter to take advantage of a direct use for compatible devices, like most laptops and smartphone/tablet are dual voltage. Ship's usually have a 220 outlet for passenger use in the stateroom.

642e462beeb5fa7dbe0a5323391b30e5.jpg

fbeb2e250dabe36435d2582ff47d963e.jpg

P.S. These are always in my carry-on/convertible backpack, our most recent NCL cruise was this April, and never had issues with port security or using them. I suppose, if an extension cord is in the checked luggage, ship security doing the x-ray screening spotting it on their display might question & pull it aside for a closer safety inspection ?? Best safety practice - disconnect and put them away when not in use or while away from the stateroom, it's less work for the room steward to "police" it and appreciated.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

Edited by mking8288

• 1 year later...

Any update on bring extension cords on board? I always seem to sleep on the wrong side of the bed and have difficulties plugging in my small fan beside me. I plan on bringing one this time but if they are getting confiscated then I will leave it at home and ask for one when I see my room steward.

13 minutes ago, Karysa said:

Any update on bring extension cords on board? I always seem to sleep on the wrong side of the bed and have difficulties plugging in my small fan beside me. I plan on bringing one this time but if they are getting confiscated then I will leave it at home and ask for one when I see my room steward.

If the ship you'll be on has USB ports by the bed (some of the newer ones do), you could consider getting a USB-powered fan.

• Like 1

My most recent cruise was on the Breakaway (April 2019). I brought along a power strip and an extension cord and left them in plain sight. Neither the butler nor the cabin steward said anything about it. I did unplug them when I would leave the cabin.

I just checked NCL's website, and there is no mention of power strips and extension cords on their prohibited list. https://www.ncl.com/prohibited-items

Edited by Suite Heart
forgot something
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Suite Heart said:

My most recent cruise was on the Breakaway (April 2019). I brought along a power strip and an extension cord and left them in plain sight ... 

I just checked NCL's website, and there is no mention of power strips and extension cords on their prohibited list. https://www.ncl.com/prohibited-items

If the devices and cord were disconnected, odds are that nothing should be done to it - the ban is more on acceptable & allowed usage and how it is being used, not about mere "possession". 

You will find "Important Notice on Electronic Devics" in the Freestyle Dailies - explaining the basis and what is asked of & expected in best practices about using them safely, not leaving it unattended and/or connected while not in the cabin, etc.  (see example below - had them on the Gem, Escape & Dawn lately ...)

IMG_20180505_234521.jpg

Edited by mking8288