HAL to Alaska - casual cruise?

Lee77

We really would like to sail one of the HAL ships to Alaska [probably the Volendam].

We have sailed NCL and Princess and actually sailed the NCL Dream last year to Alaska.

I am wondering if HAL will be too formal for us. We really liked the freestyle dining and the casual dinner dress code with optional formal night on NCL.

My husband does not want to bring a tux or suit. Can he dress as he does on NCL and Princess in dockers and collared shirt for all evenings in the dining room? Is formal night dining strictly formal?

I am hesitating to book mainly for this reason which probably seems crazy!

Hi. My DH doesn't dress up at all. He doesn't bring a tie or a suit. He does howeve, eat in the Lido dining room on formal or informal nights . HAL does ask that you retain the dress code of the evening if you are going to mingle in the publinc rooms. This is a request, and you will find people who change into comfortable dress after dinner. You will not be allowed in the dining room without a jacket or tie on formal or informal nights, the Lido or room service are your options. We haven't found this to be a problem.

Lee, HAL does have the three dress codes as previously stated, and it is expected that people will remain dressed for the entire evening while in public areas.

Even though it is reported that there are many people who do not dress on Alaska cruises, it is still the expectation, and most people do dress. It is not a freestyle cruisline.

Thanks ladies for your reponses.

So how many formal and informal nights are there on a 7 day cruise?

I gather that men wear a jacket and tie [not a suit??]for informal night. Formal night is tux. Is this correct?

NCL was very loose with the dress code and we saw everything in the dining rooms. The worst, in my opinion, was the men in baseball caps! UGH!

We really don't mind dressing up for dinner if that is the mode of dress. I was just wondering if we could cut down on the packing.

On a 7-night cruise usually there are 2 formal, 1 informal, and four casual. The first and last nights are always casual---possibly what people will wear home the next day.

On formal nights men may wear tux or dinner jacket, or dark suit, or still meet the code in a jacket and tie. Informal for men is jacket, tie optional. Casual is slacks w/shirt---golf-type shirt will do. Jeans and t-shirts never meet the code. Neither does a baseball cap. :eek:

Women's clothes are much more difficult to describe.

Formal for women is long or short gowns, very dressy cocktail dresses, evening slacks with beaded/sequined top, mother of the bride/groom-type---it can run the gammut. Informal might be the type of dressy outfit you might wear to a nice daytime wedding when you like the bride (and want her to like you;) ); Sunday Best sort of clothes. For casual think "put-together", or "country club"---a step up from what you would wear all day.

This is not to say that everyone will be dressed to code---or remain that way after dinner. But it is the HAL guidelines.

RuthC,

Thanks so much for your very clear answer. Now I have an excellant idea of what to expect.

It must be so nice to see so many people elegantly dresssed!

My husband will not go for the tux but I think we could manage the rest!

Thanks again!

Lee

Archived