My new luggage is pretty battered... what to do?

IBRelaxin2

I purchased a new set of luggage the week before our cruise (spent about $400 on them), we packed up and headed with this new luggage to Miami. We took a shuttle service to the port and had our bags left with a porter, tipped him and went on board....

Well fast forward an hour later, our luggage arrives and two pieces have some minor damage. Some fraying and some black marks... I excuse it and go on with a wonderful vacation.

However, this morning when I got my luggage from the terminal it was destroyed! First off the Panorama deck luggage was sitting in dust and muck in a corner so all my luggage is covered in white/yellow paste. Then when I look at the luggage after we leave the building I notice the bottoms of all my suitcases are now very frayed and some even have holes. The straps of my dive bag are almost severed. Everything is covered in muck/dust and black marks and to boot the bags have so much wear two of them have holes and the items inside damaged!

Of course we were the last to debark and no one would help us with filing a complaint, either they didn't speak english or they just kept on walking. Who would I contact, is it too late... I'm just very disapointed in how my luggage was handled and is now pretty bad off...

I'm sorry to hear this. The story sounds just amazing.

Too little... too late, I know... but I have always found great sales at Mervyns for luggage... like 2/3rds off. A nice 5 piece set for $60, normally $175. It's as good as the luggage I've seen anywhere else, except for the top-notch stuff. And I purchase this luggage because I'm afraid that I would end up with the same scenerio as you have. I would be sick if spent good money only to have my luggage treated as you have described.

My luggage has traveled a lot and has yet to be abused the way you have described.

I believe you needed to file a claim right then and there, or you will be out of luck. And then there is determining fault. Was it the cruiselines or the port (and porters) that is at fault. You are in a hard place. I think it is best to leave it up to experience and move on instead of wrecking your week or month over it.

I think you need to file a claim with the store that sold you the luggage. Sound like you got ripped off. For the price you paid the luggage should have held up alot better than that after only 1 use.

Fraying should only happen after prolonged use, are you sure you were sold new and not used luggage.

Luggage was grouped by deck and not color????

Frayed and some even have holes, and this is brand new $400 luggage? I'm speechless, they would have had to drag your luggage back and forth 100s of times to make holes.

The luggage is frayed due to dragging it looks like on the cement. The only fraying is on the seams near the bottom and it's the same places the luggage has black tar marks. Ugh! I'm very disapointed in the way my luggage was treated, it was brand new out of the box not used... oh well.

Sorry to hear about your expensive luggage getting ruined. Did you purchase insurance for your cruise? If so, check it out. Most insurance has some coverage for loss or damage to luggage. Do you still have your receipt for the luggage? I had to make a claim once,and they wanted the receipt. I hadn't kept it,so they only paid 70% of what I had to pay to replace the luggage.That was better than nothing tho.

Here's my luggage story....FWIW

We were on Destiny last May. Flew American Airlines. Get to San Juan and son's luggage (that he borrowed from a friend) is pretty much destroyed....can't latch it closed.

So....off I go to the counter I was directed to. The girl at the counter went in back, talked to the supervisor, came out and told me AA wasn't responsible!! Long story short....I had a hissy fit and son was given a new piece of luggage (AA's not responsible but they have new luggage available....go figure!)

Fast forward a week later....getting our luggage to go home. You guessed it!! Son's luggage is destroyed again, but by Carnival this time. Half of the stitching was torn out and there were several gouges (pretty big holes) in several spots. It looked like it had gotten stuck on a conveyor belt.

The Carnival reps were kind enough to give us a form to fill out for reibursement and shrink wrap the thing so we could get home without all the contents spilling out.

When I got home, I read the form to find out what I needed to do. We were supposed to take our luggage somewhere to get it fixed (I really have no idea where to do this) and send the bill to Carnival for reimbursement. I just threw the form away. Seems like it would be more hassle than it was worth.

So.....I guess you can call Carnival and they can send you the same form.

Good luck with that!!!

I have bought Kohl's luggage, and then I have bought top of the line Samsonite luggage.....

If you travel alot, it is worth the $'s to buy well constructed luggage.... You cannot expect any airline to treat your luggage with care.... They have too many pieces to give a $##&&

Here is the thing, if you buy well constructed luggage it will come off the conveyer belts with black marks, ect, but will stay in tact, due to the quality of the luggage.... Here, you get what you pay for...

We travel normally with 3 pieces of luggage that we spent close to 2K for..... It stands up to any airline abuse.... When we bought cheaper luggage, we were replacing the suitcases all the time, and in the end it cost us more to buy and replace cheap luggage than to buy good pieces that made it through any airport....

You get what you pay for....

Yikes! I'm going to have to agree with the other poster, and telling the people that sold you the luggage about this... I have "decent" Samsonite luggage... I don't buy the top of the line because I travel frequently, but I buy "good" luggage... that being said, you would not BELIEVE what my luggage has been through and held up through. Drug across concrete, sat in the rain for an hour, and partially run over... and it is still holding up!!!! Unless it was "fashion" luggage, your luggage should have held up... if it was "fashion" luggage, I wouldn't have taken it on a cruise ;)

You will have to check the contract and see what it says, I believe you take it up with the port... and I THINK that the max you can get is $50?? I'm not sure, but it should be in your contract. Also, check your travel insurance policy and see if they cover baggage damage... my last policy did cover it, I remember seeing it... Good luck!!!!!!

I have bought Kohl's luggage, and then I have bought top of the line Samsonite luggage

Hear hear. Sure, $400 might only get you one large and one small Samonsite case, but they'll be the last suitcases you ever need to buy. :cool:

I have "decent" Samsonite luggage... I don't buy the top of the line because I travel frequently, but I buy "good" luggage... that being said, you would not BELIEVE what my luggage has been through and held up through.

I've dragged my hardside Samonsite from one end of the country to the other and back again, and it's still holding up great. A little scuffed, maybe a few small dents or scratches, but as the airlines say, luggage is meant to protect the contents...

I purchased a new set of luggage the week before our cruise (spent about $400 on them), we packed up and headed with this new luggage to Miami. We took a shuttle service to the port and had our bags left with a porter, tipped him and went on board....

Well fast forward an hour later, our luggage arrives and two pieces have some minor damage. Some fraying and some black marks... I excuse it and go on with a wonderful vacation.

However, this morning when I got my luggage from the terminal it was destroyed! First off the Panorama deck luggage was sitting in dust and muck in a corner so all my luggage is covered in white/yellow paste. Then when I look at the luggage after we leave the building I notice the bottoms of all my suitcases are now very frayed and some even have holes. The straps of my dive bag are almost severed. Everything is covered in muck/dust and black marks and to boot the bags have so much wear two of them have holes and the items inside damaged!

Of course we were the last to debark and no one would help us with filing a complaint, either they didn't speak english or they just kept on walking. Who would I contact, is it too late... I'm just very disapointed in how my luggage was handled and is now pretty bad off...

Sorry about your luggage IBrelaxin', but we always use inexpensive sets also, Doesn't even have to match :eek: ! We aren't trying to impress anyone, just want to get our things from one point to the other. I found that the airlines are rougher than the cruise co's. Actually, the people who handle luggage are independent contractors. ( I think, not sure) :confused: If you wnt to use your 'good luggage', use it on a car trip. Then you can have control of it yourself. Better luck next time.

Any day on a ship is a good day!:D

Luv's Crusin'

Another vote for bag luggage.

There really is some crap out there when it comes to it.

I have a two piece standard set that has lasted me 25 years.

I have a mother who always tried to "upgrade" me to a wheel set. Of course, she always goes for the cheapest that make maybe one or two round trips.

Wife and I bought our own finally, getting sturdy, yet not overly expensive ones. Unfortunately, they hold too much, but they're GREAT! Comes in real handy when running through the NY piers to make our escape.

They look like everyones else now, and the old eyesight isn't as good as it used to be! :eek:

We also just returned from the Truimph and I have to admit that I was impressed as to how well our luggage was handled. We also were on the Panorama Deck and I thought it was great were they put our stuff. Yes it was in a corner however not in the large warehouse were the other 9 decks were and 2000 people. We went to that corner picked our luggage and were directed out to a seperate customs counter and out of customs in less then a minute It was great. I will tell more later.

They look like everyones else now, and the old eyesight isn't as good as it used to be! :eek:

Sounds like it's time to buy a hot pink bandanna to put on the handles. I hate looking out at a sea of black, (much more prefer it blue!), but there is a reason why so many of our bags look alike!

ibrelaxin, I am sorry your luggage was ruined. On our last cruise we had a piece come to us missing the bottom of the luggage:eek: (the wheels & legs) it was also a new set of luggage so I can understand your feelings. We figured ours was due to the airline though so I cant help with how Carnival will help. Now we have replaced that piece with a Samsonite and I am hoping for the best. Oh, and the only compensation we recieved from the airline was a $50 voucher for a future flight to be used in 1 year. (we did not fly in 1 year)

Have you ever watched the Seinfeld TV series and especially the episode about fruit? This suit case issue reminds me of it. As Seinfeld said, "When you buy fruit, it is a gamble." but his buddy Cramer said "Wrong! No matter what, take it back if it is bad".

As you can see from the replies, the solutions have been to go back to Carnival for compensation. Go back to the store for compensation. Go to the insurance company. Go to the luggage maker. I am surprised no one mentioned the Port Authority. Finally, take the loss, buy cheaper luggage or buy better luggage.

I do not have an answer. It does seem strange, however, that all your luggage was ruined. One piece, I could understand but several? Again as in the Seinfeld series, those famous lines "Not that there is any thing wrong with it" or that it could not happen!

I can tell you this, however, I work part time in a Department Store and luggage is in my department. If you brought in 4 pieces of luggage with spots and stains and frayed at the bottoms, I would probably tell you to review the warranty which specifically excludes damage by the handlers. It is YOUR problem to prove other wise.

In the end, I see Carnival giving you a $100 credit like they do with most complaints if you follow them up, and we Cruise Critics will end up paying a buck or two on our next cruise for the compenstion. It's the law of supply and demand.

"Ain't life a kick?"

It does sound like inferior quality luggage - but - the 'white gunk' came from the handling/storage area on the ship or port. Take what you can get from whatever source could have caused it - and - return the luggage or write the co.

Good luck - I had a new piece damaged on the first use. There was a big slice down the back, the repair shop glued and wove in a patch and it lasted for years, and RCCL paid us when we sent in the bill.

MaryAnn

Didn't the OP post in another thread, (the birth certificate problem) that she worked for a Disney or somebody at the port? Don't most cruiselines handle this type of situation in a similar manner?

Good luck. I agree with the others. New, expensive luggage should hold up better than that.

Did you know that the gorillas:mad: who once worked for Eastern Airlines have found employment on the cruise ship docks? While you're waiting to disembark, go on deck (shoreside) and watch the handling of the luggage . . . no surprise that your luggage came out as it did.

Kidding aside, buy the cheapest BLACK softsided luggage you find, and minimize your losses. We've used the cheap stuff for years, and it's paid off handsomely. Looks you're out of luck. We live and learn!:)

PREVIOUS CRUISES:

Jun 1989, RIVER CRUISES, -- Paddlewheeler Julia Belle Swain, GD

Sep 1993, US NAVY TIGER CRUISE, USS Halsey CG23, HI-CA, EXC

Nov 1997, CAPT. COOK CRUISES, Murray Princess, Australia, EXC

Jan.1993, RCL Majesty of the Seas 1st big cruiseship, we were green

May 1998, US NAVY TIGER CRUISE, USS Fife DD 191, HI-WA, EXC

Apr 1998, US NAVY TIGER CRUISE, USS Fife DD 191, HI-WA, EXC

May 1999, DELTA QUEEN STEAMBOAT CO, Delta Queen, EXC

Sep 2000, US NAVY TIGER CRUISE, USS Fife DD 191, HI-WA, EXC

May 2001, HAL Maasdam. E. Caribbean, VD

Feb 2002, HAL Rotterdam, S. Caribbean, exc. ship decor, EXC

May 2002, CARNIVAL Pride, W. Caribbean, garish decor, VG

Sep 2002, CELEBRITY, Mercury, Panama Canal, Rail & Sail FR

Dec 2002, CARNIVAL Spirit, E. Caribbean, nice decor, VERY GD

Apr 2003, HAL Statendam, CA-HI, good all around, VERY GD

Aug 2003, CARNIVAL Paradise, E. Carib., non-smoking ship, EXC

Sep 2003, CARNIVAL Paradise, W. Carib., non-smoking ship, EXC

Dec 2003, HAL Noordam, E. & S. Caribbean, VG

Mar 2004, HAL Volendam, W. Caribbean Wayfarer, VG

May 2004, MSC, Lirica, West Indies, GOOD

Nov 2004, HAL Prinsendam, 28-day Amazon River Explorer, VG

Feb 2005, CARNIVAL Glory, E. Caribbean, POOR

Mar 2005, CARNIVAL Glory, W.Caribbean, POOR

July 2005, CARNIVAL Miracle, W. Caribbean, EXC

COMING UP

Dec 2005 RCL Mariner of the Seas, E. Caribbean

Apr 2006 HAL Ryndam, S. Caribbean INCLUDING ARUBA!

Sep 2006 CARNIVAL Sensation, Bahamas (a short one)

Sorry about your luggage. I know it's fustrating when your luggage is damage. I work for a major airline and between the conver belts and our quick handling bags do get a little scuffed, a few small dents or scratches, but luggage is meant to protect the contents. Bags also get a work out when people over pack them too. Especially when they have to be packed on top of one another to fit abord the aircrafts. I personally never spend alot on luggage. I know what it goes though first hand. On an ended note I can say I do pack my bags so that my belongs are well protected.

So good luck with your luggage and sorry about troubles. A good price hard side bag goes a long way.

shan9700:)

Kidding aside, buy the cheapest BLACK softsided luggage you find, and minimize your losses. We've used the cheap stuff for years, and it's paid off handsomely.

Well, I wouldn't go the cheapest material you can find... I select luggage with a 1200 denier covering, vinal reinforced Corners and Welt edges. Watch for sales. Like I said, you can find a very decent $200 4 or 5 piece luggage set for 50% to 70% off. Some of these stores just give this stuff away. Just keep looking.

Here is a article that describes some features to look for...

http://www.thesavvytraveller.com/tools/2before_you_go/luggage/how_to_select_luggage.htm

Here's my luggage story....FWIW

We were on Destiny last May. Flew American Airlines. Get to San Juan and son's luggage (that he borrowed from a friend) is pretty much destroyed....can't latch it closed.

So....off I go to the counter I was directed to. The girl at the counter went in back, talked to the supervisor, came out and told me AA wasn't responsible!! Long story short....I had a hissy fit and son was given a new piece of luggage (AA's not responsible but they have new luggage available....go figure!)

As far as that goes, probably what happened is TSA got into your luggage. I have had that happen and now I can't close one of my pieces. That needs to be taken up with them.

I guess the morale of the story is buy HARD CASE luggage. Mine has last 10 years. Yes it looks ugly and it has dents, scratches, and even a broken nylon strap to hold luggage together.....but it has lasted.

Archived