My new luggage is pretty battered... what to do?

IBRelaxin2

Didn't the OP post in another thread, (the birth certificate problem) that she worked for a Disney or somebody at the port? Don't most cruiselines handle this type of situation in a similar manner? .

Yep, Brenda, she said in her b/c saga that she works at a cruise terminal. So - she really should know what to do in this situation, don'tcha think?:rolleyes: No further comment from me.

Yep, Brenda, she said in her b/c saga that she works at a cruise terminal. So - she really should know what to do in this situation, don'tcha think?:rolleyes: No further comment from me.

Oh come on now, you guys aren't really surprised are you... we all know that the people that work for the cruiselines are clueless :p :D

Atlantic Luggage at your local AAA is the way to go. Even their lower end pieces have a 10 year warranty (higher end have 20 year warranty). MOST AAA's will replace a damaged piece without batting an eye. I've had my set for over 8 years now and have replaced different pieces probably 5 times over the years for damage done during traveling. My local AAA even replaces for broken zippers.

If you want good luggage that will hold up, check out the brand the flight attendents and pilots use.

We've had ours for 8 years and had one piece run over by a car - very small rip where my husbands's glass after shave nottle broke and speared through the balistic nylon, but no further ripping from that sight.

That being said, you are more likely to find this type of luggage at $400 a piece and if you catch it on sale for 1/2 that. An entire 4 piece set will set you back at least double what you paid for yours.

Yours held up like $99 for a 4 piece set luggage. I would definitely take it back to the store. Get credit for what you paid for it and put it toward a good piece of luggage. And do not wait. You need to show that you only travelled once with the luggage and procrastinating will hurt your case.

PS Glad to see you got on board after all the BC saga.

I used to use good luggage and got upset when it was damaged. Now, I have changed to medium quality luggage that I bought on sale. Not only have I not had any significant damage, but it is lighter weight which is important given the sirline weight limits.

Note: A few year ago, one of the rests was torn off my luggage. Carnival gave me a damage form . I took it to a local luggage store for repair and was reimbursed by Carnival..

I know this sounds funny but:

A few cruises ago my wife and I got onboard early and headed to get something to eat as usual, this time we decided to set outside and watch the dock crew load the ship. We watched (I've got pics to prove) the forklifts loose several bags out of the containers, some were ran over, some opened and were packed back in and shut. I even pointed it out to the bartender that came by and he giggled and said they do it all the time. He also told me that they crew that loads the ships are not employees of the cruise lines (don't know if that's true?) Every cruise we've been on since, the same thing happens. It does'nt matter what kind of luggage you buy, nothing can handle being ran over by a forklift. Next cruise you take, get there early and watch you'll see.

Whew you guys can be harsh...lol. I spoke to CCL this morning and I'm working on the warranty end of it.

I don't see anyone being harsh. Looks like people offered you several different options to explore. When you post on the internet & ask for opinions...that's what you get. Sorry if you didn't get the answer you wanted to hear. :D

............ He also told me that they crew that loads the ships are not employees of the cruise lines (don't know if that's true?)

Yes, this is true. The porters at the pier are not Carnival employees, but are employed by the port authority of that port city. This is one reason that Carnival says to LOCK your luggage prior to leaving with the porters.

Anytime there is damage to luggage, you should pick up a form from the purser's desk in case you want to file a claim later. However, normal wear and tear is expected in any travels, be it cruise, air, or land vacations. Anybody who spends a whopping fortune on luggage is just downright foolish.:cool:

If you want good luggage that will hold up, check out the brand the flight attendents and pilots use.

The reason we get to check out the brand the flight attendants & pilots use is because they carry their luggage on & no one ever handles it but them.

You folks have got to be kidding. Here's the bottom line IMHO. If Carnival destroyed their luggage Carnival should be responsible. And if the company Carnival hired to handle luggage is responsible then they should take care of it. It is not too much to expect that your personal belongings be treated with a certain degree of care. And frankly I don't care if it is a plastic bag. This is ridiculous. Sure they are going to get a number of scuff marks and maybe even a scrap or two but to be placed in mud and drug across cement until they have holes and to have stuff inside the bag damaged is beyond any normal wear and tear. I am a Carnival fan but hey right is right!!! Poster - go back to Carnival as a starting point - your stuff should be replaced. Now having vented that bit of fury - if they gave you paperwork to get your stuff repaired and you decided not to do that - thats a persnal issue.

The reason we get to check out the brand the flight attendants & pilots use is because they carry their luggage on & no one ever handles it but them.

I just returned from a flight Sunday evening...(well Monday morning). When we went down to baggage claim there were several bags marked with the green flight crew tags. Yes you usually see their carry-ons as well when they are on the plane, but they check bags as well.

We had cheap pull along suitcases for years and 2 months ago for this trip bought a set of the "in-style" cases with the 2 wheels. Well....one handle was broken; one zipper pull was broken and our travel companions wheel was torn off (different brand). The airline said they are not responsible for zippers or wheels. I called our travel insurance and I am filing a claim but we have to take them to a shoe repair place to get it in writing that they cant be fixed.

Also, there is grease all over them. So much for nice luggage. Might as well buy cheap since the companies are not responsible for anything they do anymore.

If you don't have insurance, you should probably contact Carnival. If all else fails, we were told the shoe repair place is the ones who generally fix these things if fixable. Good luck....we both have our work cut out for us.

Archived