Review of MSC Seaside 12/23/17-1/6/18, SuperfamilyPlus, Menu, Dailies, Food Pr0n,Etc.

seaweeyin

Thanks so much seaweeyin! You wrote an enjoyable, comprehensive review that helped me and I'm sure it will help others too!

Do you know... Can you order the espresso drinks in decaf?

I never did, so I'm not sure. There was decaf coffee at the beverage stations in the buffet, but I know that's not the same.

great review. We've been waffling a bit on the seaside, but may go through with it for late 2018.

1) did you or anyone else decipher how to know when your room will have the sofa that turns into bunk beds vs. room where sofa just pulls out into a double? We'll be looking at a room for 4 (2 adults, 2 kids) would be better if kids have separate bunks.

2) Do you or anyone else know if the drink vouchers given as part of 'fantastica' are a subset of your 'deluxe drink package'? I did notice that if I click through a booking, it only charges the 2 adults in our room for the fantastica, which would be 24 tickets. I assume these can be used for all kinds of drinks (although the best bang for the buck is to use them on alcoholic drinks, of course).

thnx for any feedback. MSC seems to have so many options (and options specific to each ship) that I find it a lot to absorb. I saw something about the trio dining package, but didn't see the price. This too is something we'd consider (but this gets more complex b/c we'll have a 9 and 12 yo who would likely need to be in kids club).

1. This appears to be a mystery for the moment--but something MSC could so easily rectify. Sort this one out, MSC!

2. I don't think they're related, per se. I believe the vouchers can be used for any drink or item also covered by the Classic Drink Package, but the Deluxe covers a wider selection.

3. We paid 49 pounds for the trio package; I think it's $69 on the U.S. site? We found it to be a very good deal. As long as you make your dinner reservations during open kids club hours you'll be fine. They can go with the club to get their dinner.

Yes, the Germans and the British will do this. Not all, but many :halo: Anyway, on the Seaside they will not be the majority, so should not be a problem.

No, this removing will not be done on a European cruise line, guess it would end up in excellent pool deck brawls. Same with the sanitizers at the entrance of the restaurants. A European passanger would react very unhappy if the staff recommends them to use and feel it is a totally unacceptable insultation as he is making this decision by himself and nobody has the right to give him recommendations what to do.

LOL

True!

On Christmas Eve, sea day one, mr. Seaweeyin and I checked out the spa while the kids made new friends in the clubs. I really liked the spa. It's peaceful with just a touch of novelty. The low lighting, soothing music, and sounds of water relaxed me. When we first checked in, we tried to book our massages but were given dinner hour times or 8 a.m. Nope, sorry, not on holiday. So we decided to book them for the next week.

We got our cruise pass set up: it's just a card you show when you arrive at the spa. Then they take your room key and exchange it for a snap bracelet that has a "suggested itinerary " for the different spa rooms (which we ignored in favor of doing whatever we wanted), and a key/locker card. My locker card actually worked about half the time. The rest were duds. You use the key card to open the door to the spa area and walk down a short hallway. To the left are the entrances for the locker rooms -- one for women, one for men -- and to the right the entrance to the spa experiences. In theory, you should be able to stash your stuff in a locker, then use the key card to lock it. Bring flip flops/spa shoes, btw, especially if you want to do the snow room. And you should do the snow room. I thought it was beautiful. We cycled through a few different showers, saunas, steam rooms, etc. Each with a different sensory experience -- a dark steam room vs a bright one, for example, or softly raining shower vs stormy one. The spa also gives you exclusive access to an outdoor area with loungers and a hot tub. Simply exit through one of the deck access doors in the spa. It won't lock behind you, promise.

We used the spa four days in the first week. We then came across what seemed to be a problem. When I mentioned that I would book our massages in the second week of our cruise, the spa staff looked confused. The manager was brought over and we explained we were on a 14 day. She said no problem, come see her when we got back to Miami and she'll open the reservations for the next week. I made some comment on passing about using the spa pass the next week, as well, and she started shaking her head, repeating that it's only for the duration of the cruise and there is a different price for another week. I replied that we'd booked a 14 day cruise -- not a back to back -- but she just stood there, shaking her head.

Honestly, after all the steam I'd had, I didn't have it in me to argue so just left. I simply didn't return the cardboard spa pass card we'd been given and planned to use it the next week. In the end, we did get our massages booked and performed in the second week, but we never used the spa pass again because we were too busy. This was not the only time the 14 day cruise confused staff, but I'll get to that later.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Very interested to hear what the result was! We booked as a 14 day cruise and when I looked at purchasing the Spa pass, I called MSC and they told me for the duration of our cruise....14 days! The rep made a note on our reservation (supposedly) that we were told it was good for the 14 day

What other issues did you experience??

Just another thanks for your wonderful travelogue! You are doing a great service to many considering the ridiculous "hated it" reviews being posted in the main CC review section. Your photos definitively disprove the food comments many have made. Moreover, your balanced commentary demonstrates that while nothing is perfect, the odd less than stellar occurrence has little to do with one's enjoyment of a trip. (or at least it shouldn't)!

I'm sure if pressed I could come up with plenty of things that happened on any cruise, yet when asked if I had a good time the answer has always been YES! The only cruises I would not repeat were because they were not for me (CCL and Allure of the Seas) not because the cruise line sucked. In fact I am sending my assistant and her husband on a CLL cruise this summer as a bonus, but they are younger and of a different demo. We will be following you on Seaside in a month, in YC, and I have no doubts it will be wonderful.

Thanks again!

I completely agree with you! And I hope you'll write a comprehensive review of your YC experience since I am booked in the YC for the summer! I'd love to read it!

we want to do Alaska next when it comes to cruises. Even if MSC moves a ship there, we'll pick a smaller ship that does Glacier Bay with a company that has been doing Alaska for many years.

~Seaweeyin

Thank you soooooo much for your in-depth review! It was so helpful!

I went on an Alaskan cruise in 2016. I took the Norwegian Sun - picked it / excluded others for the following reasons:

- I can't afford Disney ;)

- I wanted a one week cruise and spend another week on land in Alaska.

- I wanted to my departure port to be Vancouver

I wrote a review so I won't go into too many details. I wanted to tell you though that I loved it even though it was an old ship. The excursions were phenomenal - something I miss with MSC - their excursions could be better, I think.

Finally, for my week on land, I decided on several days in Anchorage as my base, then a couple of days at Denali, and another day in Anchorage. If I did it again, I would just do a day in Anchorage, spend a couple of days in Nome, and definitely go back to Denali for a few days. Even my 13-year-old son had the greatest time. It was just the two of us.

Denali National Park offers a 12-hour bus tour to the end of the road. I first hesitated to take it because: 12 hours on a school bus! - but OH, it was so worth it!

We also went on a spontaneous flightseeing tour from Kantishna - just wow! Seriously!

The whole vacation was the best I have ever had. Such unparalleled beauty! I don't think I have ever been as relaxed after a vacation.

Do you or anyone else know if the drink vouchers given as part of 'fantastica' are a subset of your 'deluxe drink package'? I did notice that if I click through a booking, it only charges the 2 adults in our room for the fantastica, which would be 24 tickets. I assume these can be used for all kinds of drinks (although the best bang for the buck is to use them on alcoholic drinks, of course).

I had the fantastica experience last summer on the Divina. The adults and the kids received drink vouchers. So, if you're 4 passengers in the cabin, you ought to get a total of 48 drink vouchers. However, the kids' vouchers cannot be used for alcohol.

I am not sure which drink package the vouchers compare to but I personally never had a problem getting any alcoholic beverage I ordered with the vouchers. I never ordered top shelf liquor - I assume it wouldn't be included. The adult vouchers could be used for alcoholic beverages, nonalcoholic beverages, ice cream, coffee specialties. The kid vouchers could not be used for alcoholic beverages.

I wrote a review so I won't go into too many details. I wanted to tell you though that I loved it even though it was an old ship. The excursions were phenomenal - something I miss with MSC - their excursions could be better, I think.

Finally, for my week on land, I decided on several days in Anchorage as my base, then a couple of days at Denali, and another day in Anchorage. If I did it again, I would just do a day in Anchorage, spend a couple of days in Nome, and definitely go back to Denali for a few days. Even my 13-year-old son had the greatest time. It was just the two of us.

Denali National Park offers a 12-hour bus tour to the end of the road. I first hesitated to take it because: 12 hours on a school bus! - but OH, it was so worth it!

We also went on a spontaneous flightseeing tour from Kantishna - just wow! Seriously!

The whole vacation was the best I have ever had. Such unparalleled beauty! I don't think I have ever been as relaxed after a vacation.

Agree with you! We had a similar itinerary as you, except we spent 2 weeks on land and 1 week on cruise. We've been to Alaska 3 times. Next time DH wants to spend one month with plans to visit Kodiak Island and the backcountry of Denali.

The excursions were phenomenal - something I miss with MSC - their excursions could be better, I think.

This is a fair statement since MSC does not currently has ships in NW US for Alaska cruises. Or does it and missed it? Alaskan excursions are indeed phenomenal!

Agree with you! We had a similar itinerary as you, except we spent 2 weeks on land and 1 week on cruise. We've been to Alaska 3 times. Next time DH wants to spend one month with plans to visit Kodiak Island and the backcountry of Denali.

This is a fair statement since MSC does not currently has ships in NW US for Alaska cruises. Or does it and missed it? Alaskan excursions are indeed phenomenal!

Hahahaha. No, you're right. Of course you can't compare Alaskan excursions with Caribbean excursions. I should have clarified that I am not too excited about the available MSC excursions, period. I am not dissing MSC or the Seaside respectively. One can criticize part of a whole and still love the whole :D

Oh... a month on vacation in Alaska would be sooooo nice. How wonderful!

1) did you or anyone else decipher how to know when your room will have the sofa that turns into bunk beds vs. room where sofa just pulls out into a double? We'll be looking at a room for 4 (2 adults, 2 kids) would be better if kids have separate bunks.

It is right on the deck plans.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/Discover-MSC/Cruise-Ships/MSC-Seaside/Deckplan.aspx

Just look for the rooms with the double dots in them.

It is right on the deck plans.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/Discover-MSC/Cruise-Ships/MSC-Seaside/Deckplan.aspx

Just look for the rooms with the double dots in them.

thanks, I pray that it's accurate. It was either this thread or another that indicated that the key didn't match the rooms 100%, but I guess that it's the best intel available.

Hahahaha. No, you're right. Of course you can't compare Alaskan excursions with Caribbean excursions. I should have clarified that I am not too excited about the available MSC excursions, period. I am not dissing MSC or the Seaside respectively. One can criticize part of a whole and still love the whole :D

Oh... a month on vacation in Alaska would be sooooo nice. How wonderful!

:D We did not realize how big Alaska is!

Thanks so much for your balanced and informative review. Truly helpful!

My family was on MSC Divina last Apr and we really enjoyed it. My hubby went ahead booked Seaside and we now are all looking forward to our trip in Nov (I know-long time to wait!) :evilsmile:

Would you mind sharing more details on the Kids club? I have a 3 and 5 years old.

- if you drop them in the Morning, do they expect you to pick them up for lunch (then send back) and dinner (then send back again?)

-it appears your toddler had a good time with the kids club. Do they actually put the kids to nap (sorry if this sounded 'silly') or it's just nonstop fun activities for the kiddo all day?

- Did your kids actually go to kids club (almost) everyday? In your opinion, are they good/experiences enough to keep kids engaged for this young age?

Thanks so much!!

Thanks so much for your balanced and informative review. Truly helpful!

My family was on MSC Divina last Apr and we really enjoyed it. My hubby went ahead booked Seaside and we now are all looking forward to our trip in Nov (I know-long time to wait!) :evilsmile:

Would you mind sharing more details on the Kids club? I have a 3 and 5 years old.

- if you drop them in the Morning, do they expect you to pick them up for lunch (then send back) and dinner (then send back again?)

-it appears your toddler had a good time with the kids club. Do they actually put the kids to nap (sorry if this sounded 'silly') or it's just nonstop fun activities for the kiddo all day?

- Did your kids actually go to kids club (almost) everyday? In your opinion, are they good/experiences enough to keep kids engaged for this young age?

Thanks so much!!

On sea days, the kid's club had a midday break around lunchtime when you had to pick your kids up, but port days didn't have the break. The way they do dinner was great -- you drop them off and they all go to the buffet together at 7. There's a whole section of Biscayne bay buffet that is the "family section" with shorter tables and such. During designated kids club dinner times, this section is reserved for the kids club. They did dinner theme nights like pizza party and build a burger. Then the counselors take them back to kids club and the activity there.

Toddler loved kids club. Toddler doesn't take naps anymore, and there isn't a naptime in the schedule, so I'm guessing that isn't offered. For the most part, it's nonstop activity, but it isn't always high energy activity always. Toddler had chunks of time playing with legos, for example.

Tween easily made friends early in the cruise and often during the day would meet up with them at the pools and waterslides. Tween would return to kids club in the evenings for the dance parties, talent shows, singing competitions, etc. And found them to be loads of fun. Toddler did, too. They were always smiling and happy when getting picked up on the evenings and many times Tween asked to stay until the last open moment. I think the clubs are great. Hopefully your kids do, too!

Thank you soooooo much for your in-depth review! It was so helpful!

I went on an Alaskan cruise in 2016. I took the Norwegian Sun - picked it / excluded others for the following reasons:

- I can't afford Disney ;)

- I wanted a one week cruise and spend another week on land in Alaska.

- I wanted to my departure port to be Vancouver

thank you for these tips. Your time in Alaska sounds fabulous!! The Sun was one of my top picks but now that she's not doing Alaska I have to look elsewhere. :(

Very interested to hear what the result was! We booked as a 14 day cruise and when I looked at purchasing the Spa pass, I called MSC and they told me for the duration of our cruise....14 days! The rep made a note on our reservation (supposedly) that we were told it was good for the 14 day

What other issues did you experience??

We ended up going back in our second week for our massages but then... we never went back to the spa! We just ended up so occupied with other activities. However, we still had our spa pass cards on hand (they didn't take them away or anything like that) so I don't think there would have been an issue continuing to use the facility.

Thank you again for the fabulous review.

I know I could go back and study the dinner menus in depth, but I figured asking might be a little less tedious- Did the menus repeat on the second week or did you have new menus each of the 14 days? I’m curious if they have a set order.

We will have two complimentary specialty dinners and I’m wondering if I can schedule those for the nights with menus that don’t appeal to us as much.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you again for the fabulous review.

I know I could go back and study the dinner menus in depth, but I figured asking might be a little less tedious- Did the menus repeat on the second week or did you have new menus each of the 14 days? I’m curious if they have a set order.

We will have two complimentary specialty dinners and I’m wondering if I can schedule those for the nights with menus that don’t appeal to us as much.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for reading!

There was a small amount of variation -- for example one or two items on the whole menu switched on the elegant nights week to week, but I didn't notice a lot of changes otherwise. Part of the reason for this, though, is because we also had our three nights of specialty dining, plus one night of room service and once at the dinner buffet so we didn't see either week's menu in their entirety.

I actually asked the maitre'd if they were doing a two week menu rotation or one week rotation, and he said there will be a two week rotation but not just yet and he didn't say when it would begin. He was kind enough to pull out several days worth of menus for me when I asked for them. That was helpful when it came to dinner planning.