Review of MSC Seaside 12/23/17-1/6/18, SuperfamilyPlus, Menu, Dailies, Food Pr0n,Etc.

seaweeyin

I went on an Alaskan cruise in 2016. I took the Norwegian Sun - picked it / excluded others for the following reasons:

- I can't afford Disney ;)

- I wanted a one week cruise and spend another week on land in Alaska.

- I wanted to my departure port to be Vancouver

HI, I realize this thread is about the Seaside but since we've wandered off into Alaska territory, let me add a couple things.

First, I live in Alaska and have for 20 years. You can sail from Vancouver to Alaska on NCL, Princess, Celebrity, Disney and, I think, RCCL too. We recently sailed from Alaska to Vancouver on Princess and then returned a few days later on NCL. Cost was about the same for each and ports were identical. But I'd definitely recommend Princess over NCL for Alaska. Princess IS Alaska cruising. I tell people that NCL provided a cruise to Alaska but Princess provided an Alaskan cruise. They had a naturalist onboard, Alaska-themed meals, ship decorated in Alaskan-theme, brought sled dog puppies onboard in one port for passengers to cuddle with, Cruise staff dressed in Alaska-themed attire and the list goes on.

Make sure you book a trip that visits Glacier Bay! Somebody mentioned they didn't realize how big we were... well, if you cut Alaska in half and formed two equal-sized new states, Texas would suddenly be the third largest state in the union. ;p

~Brian

PS, here's a closeup from a t-shirt that I find hilarious:

texas.jpg

HI, I realize this thread is about the Seaside but since we've wandered off into Alaska territory, let me add a couple things.

First, I live in Alaska and have for 20 years. You can sail from Vancouver to Alaska on NCL, Princess, Celebrity, Disney and, I think, RCCL too. We recently sailed from Alaska to Vancouver on Princess and then returned a few days later on NCL. Cost was about the same for each and ports were identical. But I'd definitely recommend Princess over NCL for Alaska. Princess IS Alaska cruising. I tell people that NCL provided a cruise to Alaska but Princess provided an Alaskan cruise. They had a naturalist onboard, Alaska-themed meals, ship decorated in Alaskan-theme, brought sled dog puppies onboard in one port for passengers to cuddle with, Cruise staff dressed in Alaska-themed attire and the list goes on.

Make sure you book a trip that visits Glacier Bay! Somebody mentioned they didn't realize how big we were... well, if you cut Alaska in half and formed two equal-sized new states, Texas would suddenly be the third largest state in the union. ;p

~Brian

texas.jpg

I'm giggling at that t-shirt! Thank you so much for your perspective! Princess is actually currently top of the list thanks to all the thoughts I've read on this board, and your post really cements that it will offer the best experience.

Now to pick my dates and pull the trigger!!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Thank you guys, now you got me looking at Alaska cruises! Just by reading this I am convinced that´s gonna be my next destination. Something totally different.

BTW yes, this post is about Seaside... sailing on the 27 so there haha

Thank you Seaweeyin for such a complete, detailed review. I´ll try to make mine when I´m back :)

~Brian

texas.jpg

Brian - Love your state! It is just beautiful!

We did our cruise on Celebrity and Princess, and absolutely agree that Princess was better!

To make this a Seaside related post, hope one day MSC breaks into the Alaskan market just like the did for NE. But doubtful a ship Seaside size will be able to go there.

~Brian

texas.jpg

If I go on an Alaskan cruise again, I shall look for a Princess Cruise then. Sounds great!

Thank you Seeweeyin for your wonderful in depth review. It's one of the best that I have ever read here on CC. I love how you can adjust when things dont go 100 pc to plan, or fall a bit below expectations. Also love your willingness to experience and appreciate a different way, or cultural style of cruising. I have cruised often on Carnival, but am looking to try something new now after many years. MSC does look quite appealing to me. I do have some European roots though, and speak three languages, so I believe that I will not have any problems feeling "like a minority" lol. Thanks again for your great review.!

Sorry if it’s already been answered but we are cruising with my 8 yr old son and 22 month old daughter . Are there any toddler clubs that my daughter can go to or are the only clubs ones which I have to stay with her for ? Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm giggling at that t-shirt! Thank you so much for your perspective! Princess is actually currently top of the list thanks to all the thoughts I've read on this board, and your post really cements that it will offer the best experience.

Now to pick my dates and pull the trigger!!

LOL! Cute!

Princess does the same on many of their sailings....On cruises in Hawaii and the South Pacific, they include themes to reflect the itinerary!

Did you mention that you were on a 14 night cruise and that there were issues beyond the Thermal Spa situation?

Could you fill us in that, please?

I think the only other issue of consequence with regards to the 14 night itinerary specifically was the photo issue. I detailed that in post 170.

Sorry if it’s already been answered but we are cruising with my 8 yr old son and 22 month old daughter . Are there any toddler clubs that my daughter can go to or are the only clubs ones which I have to stay with her for ? Thank you

Yes! They have an included baby club for 12 mo to 3 years with drop off hours that may vary based on the season but have been 11-1 and 5-8 for the last few cruises. They have baby and parent play hours as well.

Check-in and The Cabin(s):

The Scots flew into Miami the Thursday before the cruise, while we west coasters arrived Friday evening. We all stayed at the Embassy Suites Miami Airport which suited our needs well enough. On Saturday morning, we grabbed three Lyfts to the port. On first approach, we saw the MSC logo, pointed, and screeched just a little. Then I looked a little further.

"No," I said to the kids. "THAT'S the Seaside."

It looked impressive to me, with all those slides hanging over the sides and floors and floors of balconies. Even our Lyft driver kept repeating "Beautiful, beautiful!" We battled the masses, handed over our bags, and waited for the third car to arrive. And waited. And waited. To make a long and painful story short, I WAS LITERALLY STANDING IN FRONT OF OUR SHIP AT TERMINAL F while the driver, some random taxi driver, and some random traffic control person were all trying to convince my in-laws that the Seaside was at Terminal D. A short time later, we were all together again and on our way in.

Check-in was easy enough and painless. I felt terribly sorry for the caroling quartet all done up in their Edwardian suits, gowns, and wraps in that warm Miami terminal. But I appreciated the music. Mr. seaweeyin had never spent Christmas where it was warm, so it was all a bit surreal for him (whereas I'm originally from southern California).

The atrium, upon entrance, is really beautiful. Glittering and glitzy and refined. In general, I really love the look of the ship. It's truly beautiful and I only got caught up by the mirrors one time, early on, when walking from forward to aft on deck 8 and wondering why on earth that woman coming towards me wasn't moving aside to let me pass! Yes, the carpets tended to be fuzzy, but even that got better as the days went on. I did, however, feel a bit overwhelmed by the all the activity in the atrium, which was a feeling that was repeated the next boarding day, as well. I don't know enough about ship design to say if the atrium is small for the capactity of the ship, or if that's simply every first day on pretty much every cruise ship ever.

We got in line to get our two younger kids registered for the kids' club. Other than the line being slow moving, there didn't seem to be any issues there. Both kids were outfitted with rubber bracelets that they could use for checking in and out of the club, opening their cabin doors, and ordering drinks. We thought all was well but this one's to be continued....

We next went to take a peek at our cabins. We were assigned three connecting balconies on the 11th floor. I noticed that they didn't have that green line around them on the deck plans indicating SuperFamilyPlus, so I was a little nervous that they'd end up being something other than what we'd booked. But we were happy to discover the set-up promised: one cabin had a double bed + sofa bunk beds, one had a double bed + a pull-out sofa bed, and one had a double bed. The third cabin with just the double bed was the one with the bathtub. To me, the maroon colors of the room and the decor look better in person than in the photos I'd seen beforehand. Nothing to write home about, but nothing offensive, either.

The only offensive thing was the the sink in the middle cabin bathroom was clogged up with last night's puke.

Not a minute after I saw that, our cabin steward came rushing into the room, followed by a maintenance tech. He asked for another hour to finish the room and so we headed off to do something else. When we came back, all was well again. Gross, person before us. Just gross.

Going back to the kids' club bracelets. When we finally got our cabin assignment, the individuals in our party were randomly put into each cabin. One cabin held only the two youngest kids, while mr. seaweeyin and myself were split up. This was something we'd tried to rectify on the phone before sailing, to no avail (see previous post about admin problems). We figured we would simply sleep where we wanted and not worry beyond that. But it turned out that the kids' club wouldn't allow my husband or myself to check our youngest in and out of the club because he wasn't in the same room as us. And when I say the kids' club, I distinctly mean the technology. The actually counselors in the club were FANTASTIC, loved our kids, and were just as frustrated by the problem. We tried re-registering our toddler and tried switched the chip in toddler's bracelet, but neither worked. Finally, the counselors gave him one of the old-style bracelets with the barcode, which worked fine until we got our room assignments changed.

The refrain of "I hate this technology" was one we heard a number of times on board.

We are alson in a Super Family Plus cabin, 4 adults, 3 kids on the 11th floor. Maybe the same ones! Anyways, currently 2/3 kids are in their own designated cabin. I asked 2 times if that was ok and it was never resolved. Any thoughts on how that will work for signing in and out of kids club?? Are we destined for problems?

We are alson in a Super Family Plus cabin, 4 adults, 3 kids on the 11th floor. Maybe the same ones! Anyways, currently 2/3 kids are in their own designated cabin. I asked 2 times if that was ok and it was never resolved. Any thoughts on how that will work for signing in and out of kids club?? Are we destined for problems?

When were your Family Plus cabins assigned? We too have Family Plus cabins and are still awaiting cabin assignments (I know they say cabins will be assigned 14 days or more before cruise). We are quite near now to our sailing date and still no cabin assignment.

When were your Family Plus cabins assigned? We too have Family Plus cabins and are still awaiting cabin assignments (I know they say cabins will be assigned 14 days or more before cruise). We are quite near now to our sailing date and still no cabin assignment.

We are sailing on the 27th. I think they were assigned about 2 weeks ago. Did you do the web check in process yet? you can check there. Or just call. I had to call numerous times to get the right boarding documents sent too.

You are very kind. :)

Honestly, I knew I had an opportunity to review a brand new ship that people had lots of questions about and I'm glad I got to share my experience here, where I've learned so much from others.

And we are so fortunate that you chose to take the time to do such an in-depth review. Thank you!

I do have one question for you... From your Dailies I saw that the sommelier on board had many wine tastings. Did you happen to notice of they also offered a wine-blending class/activity? We did this on the Divina two years ago and thoroughly enjoyed and were looking forward to doing it again on the Seaside.

Without a doubt the best review of Seaside to date-- thanks so much for all the detailed information and helpful answers to questions.

Here's a few more for you--

-- Do they follow the custom of other cruise lines of having the dinner menus posted outside the dining room in the afternoon? I like to swing by early and see what's on the menu so I can start whetting my appetite!

-- I like mudslides and other blended drinks. I assume all the poolside bars have those blenders available-- do you happen to recall if any other bars do?

-- We have already upgraded to a premium package. If we order a soda, will they give us cans or just the fountain soda?

-- We are booked in Aurea so I know we'll have anytime dining. Any idea if they seat you with other people or by yourselves? Or are you given the option?

-- Do the waterslides have pretty long lines or do they move pretty quickly? Just an adult child here who likes his waterslides. ;)

-- Do they follow the custom of other cruise lines of having the dinner menus posted outside the dining room in the afternoon? I like to swing by early and see what's on the menu so I can start whetting my appetite!

I jump in on that one. The menus can be checked on the electronic boards all around the ship. And - much easier - via the MSC App from the bed in your cabin.

-- I like mudslides and other blended drinks. I assume all the poolside bars have those blenders available-- do you happen to recall if any other bars do?

-- We have already upgraded to a premium package. If we order a soda, will they give us cans or just the fountain soda?

There's THREAD with almost all bar menus (lots of mixed drinks, no mudslide though - but I bet one or two of the bartenders can make you one anyway; soda cans available)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2573427

We spent a delightful afternoon making use of the drinks package and the pool areas. My kids (and mr. Seaweeyin) loved the waterslides and splash pad areas. The slide board slide was my favorite by far.

In the evening, mr. Seaweeyin and I popped by the champagne bar for predinner drinks while waiting for the rest of our party to finish getting ready. I didn't photograph the whole menu because it was very long, but here are the cocktails. Two asterisks means not covered by any package, one is covered by deluxe, and no asterisk is covered by classic.

The drink photo is the blueberry lavender sparkler, which I found too sweet--something I found to be a common theme with drinks on the ship. 08fdda1e7c60ecb78d889558936a72fa.jpgcb0164d3be0caf4c234efd5bc2cbbcd2.jpg658097d020549a0cacaaf747ee657500.jpg1294061660f5602ac113777a010cdf70.jpg

For the drinks that are not covered on the plan, do you know if they allow you to pay the difference in price of what is covered or if you just need to purchase the drink at full price?

Great, detailed review! One question regarding the wines on tap in the buffets, do you have to have a drink package or do they charge your account per serving. I am having a hard time getting an answer, because most people buy the drink packages; but, only one of us drinks and both are required to buy a package, so it makes it impractical. We called MSC and customer service said there was no such thing. Thanks!

The package was listed as being purchased by MIL, who was assigned cabin 11053, but who moved to cabin 11057. Mr. Seaweeyin and I were now in 11053. The photo staff tried to tell me that we could choose any photos my husband and I were in, and that's it.

For those who book the SuperFamily cabins and the photo package, be sure to put your foot down on this matter. MSC is unique in offering these types of cabins and I think even the staff have a hard time wrapping their head around them.

When you posed for each picture, did they scan your cabin card, or how does it work? If we consistently hand the same cabin card to the photographers whenever we get any of our pictures taken, will that prevent the problem? I've seen mention of a photo pass, is that a separate card that you get?

Tween easily made friends early in the cruise and often during the day would meet up with them at the pools and waterslides. Tween would return to kids club in the evenings for the dance parties, talent shows, singing competitions, etc. And found them to be loads of fun. Toddler did, too. They were always smiling and happy when getting picked up on the evenings and many times Tween asked to stay until the last open moment.

So good to know, thank you! What did your teen like to do at night? My DS13 would still want to do some of the things it sounds like Tween will get to do, and this will be the first vacation when the two of them will be in different age groups.

We also have booked Stingray City (Captain Marvin) and want to go to Paradise Beach. Do you have anything more to say about Paradise Beach? Did you buy the Fun Pass there? What did you do on your Ocho Rios day?

I had mult-quoted a bunch of your posts to ask questions about, and now only two of them are showing up in my reply, so you get fewer questions than I had planned. But I could be back with more... Thank you again!

Also, theme nights- you mentioned 70s night and Italian night. I've heard there is a flappers night, but there are indications it was just for Aurea and above. Did you see it? Is 70s night for adults only or families?

Were Bingo and the other activities in the Haven lounge free? Did they ever offer family karaoke?

It looked impressive to me, with all those slides hanging over the sides and floors and floors of balconies. Even our Lyft driver kept repeating "Beautiful, beautiful!" We battled the masses, handed over our bags, and waited for the third car to arrive. And waited. And waited. To make a long and painful story short, I WAS LITERALLY STANDING IN FRONT OF OUR SHIP AT TERMINAL F while the driver, some random taxi driver, and some random traffic control person were all trying to convince my in-laws that the Seaside was at Terminal D. A short time later, we were all together again and on our way in.

Was this because of incorrect signage, or is the Seaside supposed to be at Terminal D? How would you have known if you hadn't recognized your ship? Was it listed (either correctly or incorrectly) on any of your cruise documents?

Since some of you came in Lyft and some in Taxi, which do you recommend? DH and I are currently discussing the car booster seat for my youngest and will probably end up bringing our cheapest, lightest backless one along for the ride between MIA and POM. Any input on that from your experience with toddler?