Question about wine prices at restaurant

DC1979

I have a question regarding wine bottle prices at the restaurants (mainly PG and Tamarind). We’ve always brought wine onboard to enjoy in our suite and I’ve only ever ordered cocktails at the bar, so I’ve never really paid attention to the wine prices at the restaurants. On an upcoming cruise, I am celebrating my parents anniversary and wanted to buy a bottle of wine with dinner. I’m curious as to what the mark up in on board. In other words, am I better off buying a bottle at Total Wine in Ft Lauderdale and paying the $18 corkage fee or is it about the same price on board? I’m going to go the the store to buy our one bottle per person anyways. Was just curious if I should purchase the one for the restaurant too or is it better on board.

Thanks!

It really depends on your taste in wine and your Mariner status. If your a four star Mariners you can buy wine packages and get 50% off the base price (you must still pay the tip on the full price). For the lower level package that brings the cost to less then $20/bottle, of course you have to like the wines in the package.

If you just buy a bottle straight out they will be around $35 and up. If you love a wine that will cost $40 or more on board but cost less then $20 at Total Wine 🍷 then it makes sense to carry it on board. Remember either way, each person can carry on one bottle for free.

If you're looking for a special wine for a special evening, you'll be far better off buying at Total Wine. It's my experience that a glass of wine purchased onboard will cost about what a bottle of the same wine bought at Total Wine. A bottle purchased on board will be about the price four times the price of a bottle purchased at Total Wine, ie, about four times the price of a glass on board.

For inexpensive wines, buying on board is fine. If you want a better wine, buy it at Total Wine. FWIW, i hear Total Wine can help with your choice.

Holland America has a hugh markup on wine. Their $11.50 per glass ( plus gratuity) Ruffino Pinot Grigio sells for $6.99 a BOTTLE at Total Wine.

Buy a bottle or 2 on land and pay the $18 corkage. You will have wider choices and will pay less.