Snorkeling in Western Caribbean

bd1958

A question: we're looking forward to four stops in the Western Caribbean in early March. Costa Maya, Mahogany Bay Roatan, Santo Tomas de Castilla Guatemala, and Cozumel. Hoping to do some snorkeling at one or more stops. Any advice as to the better stops to consider? I believe from the ship's excursions they all offer trips. I have in the past booked private but i'm not adverse to booking with the ship. from experience, does anyone have advice on choices?

Thanks,

Bruce

A question: we're looking forward to four stops in the Western Caribbean in early March. Costa Maya, Mahogany Bay Roatan, Santo Tomas de Castilla Guatemala, and Cozumel. Hoping to do some snorkeling at one or more stops. Any advice as to the better stops to consider? I believe from the ship's excursions they all offer trips. I have in the past booked private but i'm not adverse to booking with the ship. from experience, does anyone have advice on choices?

Thanks,

Bruce

Check Tripadvisor.com. Easy place to check all your stops, both for tour operators and ratings, and quality of snorkeling.

Not familiar with all the ports you have listed but I’ve snorkeled in Cozumel several times. We’ve taken taxis to several of the beaches mentioned on the CC port page. Make sure you look there for advice on your ports.

If you can find a snorkel tour that takes you to a tiny atoll vs jumping off a cat, do it. We did this off the coast of Belize (although you may not be stopping there) and we much preferred launching our snorkel trip from the small island out into the reef, versus the traditional jump off the back of the ship with the rest of the snorkelers from the competing snorkel vendors into over-snorkeled waters.

Hope for clear visibility and healthy reef conditions.

Cozumel has some great Shore snorkeling from the cruise ship piers to town on the “ iron shore”. I stayed a week at Hotel Cozumel and you could snorkel or dive right off the piers at the beach club. Lots of small, colorful fish. Paradise Reef is very close to the ship piers but would probably require a boat. The best reefs are deeper and sometimes have lots of current. Fantastic diving though.

Roatan has lots of beautiful shallow reefs in 15-20 feet of water. Lots of mooring balls for dive/ snorkel boats and little current.Healthy reefs with lots of critters to see.

I consider both Cozumel and Roatan to be “ world class” dive destinations.

Costa Maya had nice reefs and good snorkeling but was not near as developed when I was there a few years ago.

We have always loved Cozumel snorkeling/diving and the beach restaurants available afterwards. I have heard good things about Roatan but not been there. Our experience in Costa Maya was not as impressive as Cozumel but it could have been where we went. And, prior storms/hurricanes that affect the reefs in the areas you are going will impact your experience. I hope you do independent excursions on each and let us know what you think!!!!!! Have a great time, Cherie

Thanks for all the great information. I had been to trip advisor and it seemed woefully short on information on the guatemala and roatan sites. I think the site was not functioning properly that day. I will check with tripadvisor now that I have more data.

Does anyone have information on cancellations of private tours should the boat reach the destination? An easy refund seems to be the one advantage of a hal-based tour. My one past experience of Cosa Maya on the NA was that we could not dock due to high seas. I was feeling lucky I had not reserved anything private. Do private tours allow for sudden cancellations and give refunds?

Thanks,

Bruce

• 1 month later...
Thanks for all the great information. I had been to trip advisor and it seemed woefully short on information on the guatemala and roatan sites. I think the site was not functioning properly that day. I will check with tripadvisor now that I have more data.

Does anyone have information on cancellations of private tours should the boat reach the destination? An easy refund seems to be the one advantage of a hal-based tour. My one past experience of Cosa Maya on the NA was that we could not dock due to high seas. I was feeling lucky I had not reserved anything private. Do private tours allow for sudden cancellations and give refunds?

Thanks,

Bruce

Hey there--I see it's been a good while since you posted re: your March cruise, but just in case.

Several comments:

Someone mentioned West End in Roatan--I add a hearty yes! We've also snorkeled the other side of the island and currents made it iffy. Plus, either West End or West Bay next door (I forget which) has a marine reserve that makes it even better to get away from non-snorkeling activities. Turtles too!

Cozumel: look for a chance to do a drift snorkel over the Palancar Reef--it's not that far out from shore but you do need a boat, lol. So much fun, no work, lots to see. But for something different, also consider a ride down the mainland coast to the little fishing village of Akumal, home of turtles! It's past Tulum, but if you do a private tour, it shouldn't take that long to get there & back

We almost always do private tours and they all refund if the ship's delayed or the itinerary changes. They are completely on top of those schedules. For many, you can cancel with no issues 24hrs in advance, for any reason.

When we go to Roatan we always do the Maya Key excursion. You used to be able to book independently but now have to book through Carnival. Love the snorkeling there, it's one of the best places we've ever snorkeled. There's a drop-off at the edge of the reef, amazing. We'll be there in March and have booked it again. There's also a faux Mayan ruin and a small rescue 'zoo' to see, as well as a fabulous lunch. Worth the $$

When we go to Roatan we always do the Maya Key excursion. You used to be able to book independently but now have to book through Carnival. Love the snorkeling there, it's one of the best places we've ever snorkeled. There's a drop-off at the edge of the reef, amazing. We'll be there in March and have booked it again. There's also a faux Mayan ruin and a small rescue 'zoo' to see, as well as a fabulous lunch. Worth the $$

We've been there too (though it was cloudy so the colors in the reef were subdued). I think thru HAL.