Chaccoben Ruins

LuckyStar

RC cancelled our cruise sponsored excursion for next week but fortunately, I was able to book the same through Native Choice for less, I might add. Learned my lesson. We are arriving at noon in port and tour starts at 1:00pm 1/14. Can someone who has done this tour recently tell us what kind of wardrobe we should plan on? We were thinking jeans. Thanks for your help!

J

RC cancelled our cruise sponsored excursion for next week but fortunately, I was able to book the same through Native Choice for less, I might add. Learned my lesson. We are arriving at noon in port and tour starts at 1:00pm 1/14. Can someone who has done this tour recently tell us what kind of wardrobe we should plan on? We were thinking jeans. Thanks for your help!

J

Can't answer your question about what to wear except I would wear sneakers. We are doing this in April with Native Choice. We arrive at 8 and tour starts at 9am. Why did RCI cancel it? I know there was a bus accident a few weeks ago but accidents happen everywhere.

I would not wear jeans. The jungle is hot hot hot and humid, any time of year. I would wear light weight long pants or shorts. Take a hat also. No matter if it is Belize, Costa Maya, or Cozumel excursion - you go inland into the jungle then the temp goes up as well as humidity.

I'm with the other poster on the jeans. It is very hot and humid and jeans is the last thing I would want to be in. But again, that's just me. Go for light and breathable and I second the hat. I always wear a military style ladies cap anytime I go inland and it's a life saver.

I have this tour booked on my Carnival cruise next month. They have placed the excursion on hold. I had already price matched with Native Choice so I saved 10% of the price difference.

The tour went on hold right after the bus crash. I assume the reason is the cruise lines are investigating the safety of the tour pending their investigation. I imaging the cruise insurance companies also want to ensure the safety of the tours.

We were in Costa Maya on Friday on Holland America and they are not currently offering this excursion either. I believe most cruise lines have suspended this tour pending the investigation results of the bus crash.

Native Choice appeared crowded and was still offering the tours. We used them in 2016 and I highly recommend the tour.

I would NOT recommend jeans. Lightweight long pants or shorts would be best. Good walking shoes are also suggested. Use bug spray and you should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Concerns about jeans are overrated IMO. I did a 7.5 hour Mayan tour with Native Choice on the same day as the bus crash; the Mayan sites have largely been cleared and can hardly be described as jungle; temperature seemed to be in the eighties and it was not uncomfortable, even wearing jeans and climbing some of the pyramids. I would use repellant but it wasn’t very buggy. Native Choice does a really good job on its tours.

J

Thank everyone. We used Native Choice and I highly recommend them. I wore capris but would have been fine in jeans. January was cool. Good walking shoes are a must. The operator who had done the RC tours to Chacchoben stopped during business from what I gathered.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

We used Native Choice to tour the ruins last week and had a great time. The guides name was Hugo and he was very informative and friendly. We were on a greyhound size bus and the seats were comfortable. We wore shorts. They handed out water and on the way back we pulled over at "pineapple town " where fresh pineapple could be purchased. Hugo suggested trying it with chili pepper which was also served and it was a nice little snack.

The ruins are pretty impressive and quite beautiful. We also saw spider monkeys up in the trees.

Would recommend

We went with Toucan Tours (through Shore Excursioneer) last week. Four guests in an 11 passenger van with guide/driver. Great tour although site was quite muddy due to light showers. Guide figured the crash occurred when driver fell asleep - the trip takes nearly an hour with only about three bends in a wide straight road. He wanted us to wear seat belts during the drive. Really monotonous. Ruins are partly restored and well worth visiting. Climb 40 steps and suddenly a pyramid appears! Slippery - wear shoes with good grip. Temperature was about 80 in January, shorts and tee shirt. No insects. Hat for sun and rain. Half dozen locals selling items (better prices than port), good bathrooms, nice snack bar (Magnum ice cream bar $3). Site does want $1 donation to help locals out on top of tour ticket.

Just went to the ruins on February 4. Shorts are fine. Comfortable walking shoes, I wore sandals. We didn't need any bug spray, but had it packed just in case. It's an easy walk, just beware of tree roots. I'm 56 & husband 60 and other retirees had no problems walking or going up on the ruins.

• 2 weeks later...
We used Native Choice to tour the ruins last week and had a great time. The guides name was Hugo and he was very informative and friendly. We were on a greyhound size bus and the seats were comfortable. We wore shorts. They handed out water and on the way back we pulled over at "pineapple town " where fresh pineapple could be purchased. Hugo suggested trying it with chili pepper which was also served and it was a nice little snack.

The ruins are pretty impressive and quite beautiful. We also saw spider monkeys up in the trees.

Would recommend

Hugo was our guide in June! He was awesome! Native Choice does an excellent job. Highly recommend them!