direct book vs on-line travel agent

SanFranCruzer

Interesting thread (assuming I’m interpreting correctly that the comparison site being mentioned is the one I mentioned). When I receive quotes, the agencies that reply include the ability to book online and access pricing for every available cabin category. I can also go back months later and reopen those now booked (and closed) bids and see current “live pricing” to compare to what Princess may then be offering with their fares/promos. So I’m a bit confused on a couple of the replies saying they aren’t getting apples to apples quotes, only one category etc. [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sometimes book through Princess as they allow me to transfer it to a TA before final payment. I have full control over the reservation and I have a lot of time to look for better perks that are offered through certain travel agencies. When a better deal or free perks pop up, I lock it in under that agency. One other note is not all travel agents are open on Sundays or have limited evening hours. If I find a price drop during these hours, I want to be able to lock that price in so prefer to call Princess directly.

Also, one of the agencies I use often no longer accepts Amex, whereas Princess does. Whenever Amex sends out a 'spend so much on a Princess cruise and get a statement credit', I put that much down through Princess and then can transfer the reservation over to an agency, even if they may not accept an Amex credit card.

So, there are reasons and no real downside to book or transfer to a travel agency ... but I usually just transfer it right before final payment and have found that to work out better for me. It's not hard at all to transfer a booking and unlike Celebrity, where you have to do this within 60 days of the booking, Princess is a lot more flexible.

Get tip on AMEX....didn't think of that,