Cell Phone Service on Board?

A cruiser friend of mine just told me that with Verizon, she had cell phone service while on board the Grandeur of the Seas, even on "at sea" days. Has anyone else had this experience? Is it only Verizon?

I know of both AT&T and Verizon that can use the ship's cell tower at sea. There may be others.

There is an extra cost for this. AT&T charges $2.49 per minute for voice calls and $0.50 per text sent. AT&T also has criuse ship packages that can reduce the cost depending on your intended use. Data is very expensive this way.

A cruiser friend of mine just told me that with Verizon, she had cell phone service while on board the Grandeur of the Seas, even on "at sea" days. Has anyone else had this experience? Is it only Verizon?

Verizon charges $2.99 per minuter for calls and 50 cents/5 cents to send/receive texts. They no longer support data on cruise ships.

Leaving out of Baltimore, they would have had signal from land for a long time as they make their way out of Chesapeake Bay. Once out at sea, they will then be using cellular at sea with the higher rates stated above.

Keep in mind the ships cel service will be turned off in port so you will be dependent on whatever land based service is available. However, the WiFi will still be on.

I would buy the WiFi and use WiFi calling, which will also text, Email, etc just like at home when connected to WiFi.

Texting with verizon and the ship's wifi is only free if you use the messages + app for texting.

If the phone is set up for WiFi calling, and cionnected to the ship's WiFi, there should be no charge for standard SMS and MMS texting, no apps needed.

count me as confused. I have the voom surf and stream on our upcoming cruise. We also have verizon.

Is the only thing I can do with my phone make calls and text? No access to the internet?

Bill

Check if your phone is capable of WiFi calling. It has to be a late enough model with a late enough software version. Check Verizon's website, there should be a section on WiFi calling. If your phone is compatible, then do the initial setup for WiFi calling now. If that works, you will have full phone functionality while connected to the ship's WiFi, and no charges from Verizon.

Yes that's true for calling, but for texting, ensure you use the correct messaging app.

WiFi Calling covers texting too. No app (other than the SMS/MMS texting app built into the phone) needed for texting when the phone is on WiFi Calling.

You can access the internet on your phone using the ship's WIFI, not Verizon's data plan.

OK thanks for the clarification.:)

Check if your phone is capable of WiFi calling. It has to be a late enough model with a late enough software version. Check Verizon's website, there should be a section on WiFi calling. If your phone is compatible, then do the initial setup for WiFi calling now. If that works, you will have full phone functionality while connected to the ship's WiFi, and no charges from Verizon.

OK thanks Bob. I'll check into it. I have a Galaxy edge 7 so I am pretty sure I have that feature but not sure. Off to check it out now.

Bill

OK thanks for the clarification.:)

OK thanks Bob. I'll check into it. I have a Galaxy edge 7 so I am pretty sure I have that feature but not sure. Off to check it out now.

Bill

You Galaxy will gave WiFi calling capabilities.

I have the Galaxy 7 with Verizon and no problem

All you need to do is to setup WiFi calling then you are good to .

When you are at sea make sure to put your phone in airplane mode or turn your roaming off and turn on wifi.

Then you can make and receive calls and text messages for free.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

You Galaxy will gave WiFi calling capabilities.

I have the Galaxy 7 with Verizon and no problem

All you need to do is to setup WiFi calling then you are good to .

When you are at sea make sure to put your phone in airplane mode or turn your roaming off and turn on wifi.

Then you can make and receive calls and text messages for free.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Thanks I was just on Verizons page and think I successfully activated it. I had to turn on HD calling and voice which was already on and activate wifi calling.

I'll be sure to put the phone in airplane mode on the ship.

When the wifi calling comes into play while out at sea will there be a certain emblem on the top of the screen like there is for bluetooth, etc?

Bill

Thanks I was just on Verizons page and think I successfully activated it. I had to turn on HD calling and voice which was already on and activate wifi calling.

I'll be sure to put the phone in airplane mode on the ship.

When the wifi calling comes into play while out at sea will there be a certain emblem on the top of the screen like there is for bluetooth, etc?

Bill

You should be able to check right now. Put the phone in Airplane Mode, and then turn on WiFi. It might take a few seconds, but WiFi calling should activate.

You should be able to check right now. Put the phone in Airplane Mode, and then turn on WiFi. It might take a few seconds, but WiFi calling should activate.

I put the phone in airplane mode and turned on my wifi.

I didn't see any different symbols at the top of my screen. I had the airplane and the wifi symbol.

I tried to make a call and it did go through.

Am I good to go?

Thanks

Bill

I put the phone in airplane mode and turned on my wifi.

I didn't see any different symbols at the top of my screen. I had the airplane and the wifi symbol.

I tried to make a call and it did go through.

Am I good to go?

Thanks

Bill

Sounds good to me. With AT&T, I see "AT&T WiFi" to the left of the normal WiFi symbol.