Cell Phone Service on Board?

I put the phone in airplane mode and turned on my wifi.

I didn't see any different symbols at the top of my screen. I had the airplane and the wifi symbol.

I tried to make a call and it did go through.

Am I good to go?

Thanks

Bill

I also have Verizon and have used wifi calling on many cruises. Put the phone in airplane mode and then enable wifi, as you did with your test. When I have used Voom and wifi calling on my iphone, it used to say VZW wifi, but on our cruise this past November, it displayed a bunch of numbers, instead of showing VZW wifi. It still worked the same way as it has in the past, so not sure why there was a change in the display.

Thanks everybody for your help and patience.

It is much appreciated.:)

Bill

Another good use of WiFi calling is to save your battery if you are inside a structure with poor cell reception, but has WiFi. I can out the phone in Airplane mode, turn on WiFI, and use maybe 10% of my battery the whole day.

I put the phone in airplane mode and turned on my wifi.

I didn't see any different symbols at the top of my screen. I had the airplane and the wifi symbol.

I tried to make a call and it did go through.

Am I good to go?

Thanks

Bill

Yes

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

We are booked on the 3/2 Navigator of the Sea...I have had no experience wit the new Internet Service they are advertizing..ZOOM.I was wondering if it is any good and if its worth the extra $30 a day for our 2 phones? Thanks for any help yo can provide. (We have Verizon)

I have AT&T and when I go to turn on Wifi calling it tells me that my phone should be set to AT&T HD voice and anything outside of the states would incur the normal international calling charge. Would I incur these charges or would phone calls and texting be free?

I have AT&T and when I go to turn on Wifi calling it tells me that my phone should be set to AT&T HD voice and anything outside of the states would incur the normal international calling charge. Would I incur these charges or would phone calls and texting be free?

I have AT&T and use wifi calling all the time on ships, the charges are the same as if connected to AT&T in the States, basically if you call or text US numbers then no charge, if you call or text international numbers then you will be charged, just the same as in the States. My daughter just spent a semester in Preston England and using the AT&T wifi non of her calls or texts home were charged and non of calls or texts to her were charged.

We are booked on the 3/2 Navigator of the Sea...I have had no experience wit the new Internet Service they are advertizing..ZOOM.I was wondering if it is any good and if its worth the extra $30 a day for our 2 phones? Thanks for any help yo can provide. (We have Verizon)

You won't have very good video streaming, so Is it worth $30 a day to have 24-hour access to voice calls, email, texting, basic web browsing?

If anyone has Sprint, you can use this link to check pricing and availability. You just type in the name of your cruise ship. For Explorer of the Seas, it shows I can make calls for $2.50/minute. Does anyone know if there are any additional charges that I should be aware of? We are leaving our son at home and my father also has pancreatic cancer, so I'd like to be able to just check in for a minute daily. https://support.sprint.com/support/international/roaming?INTNAV=ATG:HE:SPT:INTL_TRAV

• 5 weeks later...
Texting with verizon and the ship's wifi is only free if you use the messages + app for texting.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

When you sayd Messages + app, what app are you referring to? This is all very confusing to me. I just hope we can text with the people we are cruising with so that we can figure out where and when to meet them etc. Does anyone know that if I keep my phone on airplane mode and text other iphone users, will it only cost us 50 cents a text and 5 cents to receive? I wouldn't mind paying as you go if that is all it costs. thanks for any insight!

When you sayd Messages + app, what app are you referring to? This is all very confusing to me. I just hope we can text with the people we are cruising with so that we can figure out where and when to meet them etc. Does anyone know that if I keep my phone on airplane mode and text other iphone users, will it only cost us 50 cents a text and 5 cents to receive? I wouldn't mind paying as you go if that is all it costs. thanks for any insight!

If you want to pay by the text, then you turn Airplane Mode off so you can connect to the ship's cell tower. AT&T and Verizon charge $0.50 per text sent, and Verizon charges an additional $0.05 per text received. If you have a different cell carrier, contact them and ask about texting charges on a cruise ship while at sea.

If you want to pay by the text, then you turn Airplane Mode off so you can connect to the ship's cell tower. AT&T and Verizon charge $0.50 per text sent, and Verizon charges an additional $0.05 per text received. If you have a different cell carrier, contact them and ask about texting charges on a cruise ship while at sea.

Ok. I think I got it. It's so nice of you to answer so many people's questions. (I've seen you answer too many to count as I've navigated these boards soaking up valuable information!) I had asked this off someone else's post in this thread, and I hate to be redundant but I'm still learning how to do all of this messaging stuff so I will repeat the question. ( and one thing I've learned was to keep reading before jumping on and repeating questions but that's too late to fix this blunder) So since you were kind enough to answer this far, can you tell me if we have to buy that Voom package to even be able to get onto the ships wifi in order to text?

Ok. I think I got it. It's so nice of you to answer so many people's questions. (I've seen you answer too many to count as I've navigated these boards soaking up valuable information!) I had asked this off someone else's post in this thread, and I hate to be redundant but I'm still learning how to do all of this messaging stuff so I will repeat the question. ( and one thing I've learned was to keep reading before jumping on and repeating questions but that's too late to fix this blunder) So since you were kind enough to answer this far, can you tell me if we have to buy that Voom package to even be able to get onto the ships wifi in order to text?

Basically you can text two ways:

1) Buy the ship's VOOM package, use WiFi calling or an internet messaging app (iMessage, Whatsapp, etc.) for unlimited texting. Phone in Airplane mode for this option.

2) Don't buy the ship's VOOM package, phone NOT in Airplane Mode. Pay your cell carrier $0.50 per sent text and if Verizon an additional $0.05 per received text.

One other thing, if you are on Harmony or a Quantum class ship, you may be able to use iMessage texting for free due to a hole in the firewall programming.

Basically you can text two ways:

1) Buy the ship's VOOM package, use WiFi calling or an internet messaging app (iMessage, Whatsapp, etc.) for unlimited texting. Phone in Airplane mode for this option.

2) Don't buy the ship's VOOM package, phone NOT in Airplane Mode. Pay your cell carrier $0.50 per sent text and if Verizon an additional $0.05 per received text.

One other thing, if you are on Harmony or a Quantum class ship, you may be able to use iMessage texting for free due to a hole in the firewall programming.

Your help has been invaluable. We will be on Brilliance of the Seas sailing this Saturday, 2/17th. we are very excited!

We just downloaded,the JOTT app on our iPhones. We tried it in airplane mode and seems to work fine. The range is not very good but it was free and we figure we will try it in the ship if we are looking for each other.

I guess the more people that have it, the greater the range.

It's actually a good idea for something like a natural disaster like a hurricane when cell towers are down or wifi is out. Uses Bluetooth and could be a great way to stay in touch or share info with others.

The technology really is amazing.