Avoiding dressing up on formal nights YC Seaside Help!!

golfusaofcs

My wife, 5 year Old and 10 month old, and I are sailing on the Seaside this Saturday. We are staying in the Yc! We usually avoid getting dressed up on formal nights on other lines and either hit up the speciality restaurants or Buffet. My question is around dining during formal evenings. Are the speciality restaurants formal? We would really like to avoid eating dinner in the buffet. How formal do you feel you have to dress to be accepted into the YC dining room. Our plan would be to eat in the two Asian restaurants in those nights. Please advise.

Thanks

On other lines I've seen tshirts and shorts lol....However it really depends on how dress policy is enforced. I would think at a minimum a long sleeve or collared short sleeve shirt and slacks would allow you to be seated with out a problem

Formal dress is really optional even though the daily program says otherwise. Remember...it is “suggested dress”. The crew goes to extra lengths to put on a formal dinner. The bars serve complimentary cocktails and you will see people dressed up and taking pictures but this does not mean that anyone will force you to do the same. The staff in the YC restaurant will not look down upon you if you show up in less than formal dress...just don’t go wearing shorts, t-shirts, flip-flops and tank tops. I have seen khaki pants and button down shirts in the YC on formal nights. DW can wear a nice top with pants if she chooses. You can wear slacks, a nice shirt and perhaps a sports jacket and still fit in nicely in the YC. I think that the people around you will be very accepting when they see you and Your young family. I think you will be fine in the Asian restaurants or even in the YC restaurant.

My wife, 5 year Old and 10 month old, and I are sailing on the Seaside this Saturday. We are staying in the Yc! We usually avoid getting dressed up on formal nights on other lines and either hit up the speciality restaurants or Buffet. My question is around dining during formal evenings. Are the speciality restaurants formal? We would really like to avoid eating dinner in the buffet. How formal do you feel you have to dress to be accepted into the YC dining room. Our plan would be to eat in the two Asian restaurants in those nights. Please advise.

Thanks

You don't have to formal at all.

just chiming in on our Yacht Club experience.

I wore a dressy top and long skirt.

He wore long pants, shirt and sports coat. Others didn't wear the sports coat, but I never saw shorts.

On the second formal night, (lobster night), it was a little dressier, and I did see a couple of white dinner jackets for the men, but they were in the minority.

^^ ditto to everything they said. We look forward to casual, relaxing vacations. Spending hours primping and dressing is not for us. We did not feel out of place in Le Muse with dressy casual (no shorts) even on formal night.

No shorts any time or just on formal dinners?

What about other dinners, lunch??

I hear you! Normally we love getting dressed up to the nines (tuxes and gowns) for formal night, but on our Seaside cruise we will be flying across the country with small roll-on suitcases and be spending almost 2 weeks in theme parks on the same trip. There just isn't the room for formal clothing in our suitcases. My husband is planning on bringing one pair of khakis for dinners onboard, with one long-sleeved button shirt for formal nights. My son will do the same. My daughter and I will bring long dresses/skirts in a light rayon or jersey material that are easy to pack. It will feel weird not being so dressy, but with packing limitations, it's the best we can do.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you golfusaofcs for asking this question. I just booked my first MSC cruise in the YC and this thread helped answer some of my questions. If my husband can enter the YC restaurant on a formal night in nice jeans, dress shirt and shoes-all will be well in my world!! LOL

I asked this question on another thread-what are the casual options, if any, for dinner on formal nights outside the buffet and room service??

Thank you golfusaofcs for asking this question. I just booked my first MSC cruise in the YC and this thread helped answer some of my questions. If my husband can enter the YC restaurant on a formal night in nice jeans, dress shirt and shoes-all will be well in my world!! LOL

I asked this question on another thread-what are the casual options, if any, for dinner on formal nights outside the buffet and room service??

Just off of the Seaside in the YC and as long as you're wearing long pants, dress shirt and shoes, your DH will be OK on any night. The long pants of course can't be religious (holey). Only saw one guy turned away at dinnertime for showing up in gym shorts. These are OK for breakfast or lunch, but not at dinner.

Just off of the Seaside in the YC and as long as you're wearing long pants, dress shirt and shoes, your DH will be OK on any night. The long pants of course can't be religious (holey). Only saw one guy turned away at dinnertime for showing up in gym shorts. These are OK for breakfast or lunch, but not at dinner.

Thank you so much.

I am still laughing at the word you used for those pants kids are wearing these days!! I think some are called distressed jeans.?? My husband calls then an honest days work jeans!! LOL No gym shorts for him either!! ;)