1st time on RC

oatbagg1

briefly:1st time on RC. Ship is small. Small annoyances like no shampoo or lotion in bathrooms, no bottled water in staterooms. the mini bars do not keep drinks cold...more like 50 degrees. Very thin walls-our neighbors were loud talkers. Lunch in Windjammer-fair. Mostly left overs from the Main dining room the night before.

A body soap dispenser. Regarding bottled water- other lines place water in staterooms and charge you accordingly. Usually liter- sized. Brilliance sold off-label water (small) for $2.50. No ice buckets or robes either. It was a different exp. on BoS than other cruise lines.

Sorry that you were unhappy with your cruise.

Perhaps you should have researched your cruise better prior booking. Brilliance is one of RC's smaller ships. Not sure why this would have been a surprise.

Soap/shampoo is usually in a dispenser in the shower, along with bar soap.

Bottled water is a billed item. Paperwork/card left by cabin steward indicates ice is provided twice daily upon request. All you had to do was ask. Robes are provided to C&A members with platinum or better standing. Again, steward will try to supply, if any are available.

Mini bars are not a true refrigerator; they are a cooler. If you needed a fridge, for medication, etc., you could ask and one would be provided at no charge.

Food is subjective so no comment. Again, sorry you were unhappy, but wonder if you asked for items, or researched size of ship.

A body soap dispenser. Regarding bottled water- other lines place water in staterooms and charge you accordingly. Usually liter- sized. Brilliance sold off-label water (small) for $2.50. No ice buckets or robes either. It was a different exp. on BoS than other cruise lines.

Ice buckets are available on request, there should have been a note in the stateroom to that effect. Pretty sure the dispenser is combo shampoo/conditioner. Soap is supplied in bars.

briefly:1st time on RC. Ship is small. Small annoyances like no shampoo or lotion in bathrooms, no bottled water in staterooms. the mini bars do not keep drinks cold...more like 50 degrees. Very thin walls-our neighbors were loud talkers. Lunch in Windjammer-fair. Mostly left overs from the Main dining room the night before.

Which cruise lines / ships have you sailed previously that you enjoyed?

Carnival Paradise - August 2015 - 5 nights

Carnival Splendor - August 2016 - 6 nights

Carnival Magic - August 2017 - 8 nights

Royal Caribbean Harmony of the Seas - August 2018 - 7 nights (booked)

Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas - August 2019 - 9 nights (booked)

Family chose BOS. They also requested mini fridge months prior to sailing only to be told on board ‘all fridges were being used’. As they had a toddler- this made milk bottles difficult to keep cool. In my original post I was simply stating my observations on RC and BoS. This was our 15th cruise. I’m well aware of research

Which cruise lines / ships have you sailed previously that you enjoyed?

Celebrity century, millennium twice, Equinox, princess 5 times, HAL. 3 times, Carnival twice, Cunard QM2 next.

Celebrity century, millennium twice, Equinox, princess 5 times, HAL. 3 times, Carnival twice, Cunard QM2 next.

I wasn't aware that Carnival provided bottled water in staterooms, that's a really nice perk.

Family chose BOS. They also requested mini fridge months prior to sailing only to be told on board ‘all fridges were being used’. As they had a toddler- this made milk bottles difficult to keep cool. In my original post I was simply stating my observations on RC and BoS. This was our 15th cruise. I’m well aware of research

You’re an experienced cruiser so if you were not happy with the level of servIce or your cabin did you go to the Guest Reception Desk on the ship to complain politely and seek some type of accomdation, like an onboard credit? I have found RCI to be great about satisfying customers.

I see that you were switched from the Empress to the Brilliance for your first cruise on RCCL. We were also switched from the Empress to the Majesty for our October cruise; lots of hassle getting cabins switched for our group of 13 but it was finally all sorted out!:rolleyes: We have always enjoyed cruising on RCCL ships and have experienced very few problems or disappointments but no cruise line is perfect. However, this will be our first time on a ship as small as the Majesty and I know the cabins are way smaller than the other classes but we chose it for the itinerary which includes Havana Cuba. I suggest that you give the larger ships a try sometime. Our favorite classes on RCCL are Freedom class and Oasis class; the Radiance class is really nice too but we prefer ships with the Royal Promenade and better restaurant selections.;p Thanks for sharing your opinion of the Brilliance and sorry for your disappointments but hope that you give RCCL another try!:*

Now you’re being childish. The question was what cruise lines I’d been on— not water bottles.

Sorry, I misunderstood. I mistakenly thought your post #1 showed all the deficiencies on Brilliance that were present on all the other ships on which you have cruised.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Used to have water in your room to buy, and even stuff in the fridge to buy. But people complained so they took it out. Full ice buckets were put in cabins before, but most never, ever used the ice- so they recognized it was a waste and stopped it.

Got nothing about the robes- those are more about your C&A status or what kind of suite you get. And given that you didn't have shampoo, it's pretty obvious that you didn't get a suite.

As for the size, some like them small, some like them big, others like them huge. At least you know to never sail on a small Celebrity ship, too- since they have ships in the same size range as the Radience class ships.

Given that this was a family chosen cruise, I, for one, don't feel bad that you had a bad time. Nice of you to point out to your family what you didn't like as opposed to having fun with the people who invited you on the trip. What a joy.

We've sailed Carnival (although it's been many years), Celebrity and Royal. You can purchase the bottles of water individually on Royal or even carry them on as long as you aren't carrying a case of it. Consulting these boards would have shown your family the answer to the fridge question. As far as the food, we've found that it's just a matter of personal taste. We actually enjoy the food on Royal in the Dining room and the Windjammer. Carving stations aren't leftovers from the night before and they have a wide variety. We always carry our own shampoo and conditioner, regardless of the cruise line. We are Diamond on Royal and so Elite on Celebrity. We get the robes but the only time I've actually used one was on a particularly cool night on our balcony to keep warm. We've gone on Royal's Empress, which is small, the Equinox this past year and we will be going on the Allure in June. We've enjoyed each of them. You'll find differences...some you'll like, some you won't.

In reference specifically to your small comment... the QM2 is close to the size of the Liberty you saw, but a completely different design to almost any other ship on the ocean. Most of the other modern ships (NCL Epic excluded) tend to at least vaguely look like each other in basic form.

I'm trying to figure out what ships you've been on that look big to Brilliance and small to Liberty.

Certainly, nothing on Celebrity, HAL, or Carnival. I guess those Princess ships in the Royal class might be the closest???

I can't say that I enjoy the dispenser soap myself. BLEH! However, I don't like 99% of hotel or ship soaps, so I bring my favorite from home.

I'm wondering if some of your disappointment is POSSIBLY a generational thing??? Maybe I'm assuming too much, but with HAL, Princess, and the QM2 on the list... that generally points to someone my parent's or grandparent's age. They have certainly made many cutbacks on many lines over the years. I think most don't like them, but you must vote with your wallet. If Royal isn't for you, don't give them your dollars.

I'm sorry you didn't like it.

Given that this was a family chosen cruise, I, for one, don't feel bad that you had a bad time. Nice of you to point out to your family what you didn't like as opposed to having fun with the people who invited you on the trip. What a joy.

No indication OP complained to family.

I wasn't aware that Carnival provided bottled water in staterooms, that's a really nice perk.

Yes, they do, but you'll have to pay for it if you open it. After your first cruise they give you a free bottle of water in your stateroom.