Just Back From The Grand - There is a tender problem

jssabs

Lady Jag and Johnny Cruise,

Thanks for your quick replies. I thought I had read something that indicated if we booked an excursion through Princess, we would have priority disembarking...how does that work? And sorry for all the newbie questions:rolleyes:

karen

Lady Jag and Johnny Cruise,

Thanks for your quick replies. I thought I had read something that indicated if we booked an excursion through Princess, we would have priority disembarking...how does that work? And sorry for all the newbie questions:rolleyes:

karen

As I recall, if you have a Princess Excursion, you will be told to go to one of the ships common areas (Theater or Lounge) at a specific time. You, and all of your excursion mates, will be directed to the tender at the appropriate time---and off you go. I believe folks going ashore independently are required to get tender tickets, and then are asked to wait in a different lounge than those going on Princess Excursions.

As I recall, if you have a Princess Excursion, you will be told to go to one of the ships common areas (Theater or Lounge) at a specific time. You, and all of your excursion mates, will be directed to the tender at the appropriate time---and off you go. I believe folks going ashore independently are required to get tender tickets, and then are asked to wait in a different lounge than those going on Princess Excursions.

Very well said. Thats just what we did.

JC:D

Yes, they're right. And, this is one time I would really recommend using the cruise line's shore excursions. Saves a heck of a lot of time if you don't have the priority tender tickets.

I remember thinking that I should tell people on the board that when we bypassed so many people waiting to get off the ship who weren't on a ship's tour in Belize.

We're doing the ship's Cave Tubing excursion in Belize and although it's probably double what the local tours charge, we wanted to be sure we'd get back to the ship instead of waving to it from the shore as it pulled away!

Thanks again everyone for your insight.

Karen

We too were on the 12/17 - 12/24 sailing of the Grand. We booked our excursions through Princess for Caymen and Cozumel. The problem we had was that it took so long to tender in that by the time the excursion was completed, we had no time to shop. In both ports, our excursions dropped us off just in time to get in line for the final tenders back to the ship.

Princess really needs to work on this area. I'm not a big shopper, but it would have been nice to have at least 30 minutes to look around before having to head back to the ship.

Wow,

I am leaving in two days for the nightmare that you all experienced. Would this be considered a class action? I'll let you know in 10 days. When you are paying for 4 people, over 10G, I don't want to hear that I am waiting on a ship for an excursion and then not be able to take it, or another tour because of tendering problems. I want to see the ports of call not sit on the boat!!! Hello, that is what I am paying for!!!

To be continued.

cat

Wow,

I am leaving in two days for the nightmare that you all experienced. Would this be considered a class action? I'll let you know in 10 days. When you are paying for 4 people, over 10G, I don't want to hear that I am waiting on a ship for an excursion and then not be able to take it, or another tour because of tendering problems. I want to see the ports of call not sit on the boat!!! Hello, that is what I am paying for!!!

To be continued.

cat

Let us know. We where thinking the same thing;) This happened to us on the star two weeks ago:eek:

JC

Wow,

To be continued.

cat

Class action?? You are kidding right? Who are you going to sue? Grand Cayman for not having enough dock space, Cozumel for not having a pier, Princess - or how about the God for ordering a Hurricane to wipe out Cozumel??

Good Luck

Ron

Class action?? You are kidding right? Who are you going to sue? Grand Cayman for not having enough dock space, Cozumel for not having a pier, Princess - or how about the God for ordering a Hurricane to wipe out Cozumel??

Good Luck

Ron

I took this as a statement more of concern or frustration about the tendering situation--not one where the poster truly anticipated taking legal action.

I thank all of you for your previous e-mails and letters to princess regarding tendering problems. I have learned alot and will be much better prepared. Hopefully, they have read some of those complaints.

What I meant, is after my cruise, if things do not get any better, we should unite as a group, instead of individuals to make a bigger impact, for future cruisers.

If it is okay with you all, I will copy this thread and take it with me.

I will prepare my family for long waits, lots of Bonnine for tenders, I am #2 on a full suite waiting list, and question my excursion tenders and check in locations.

All your comments really help prepare the rest of us scheduled cruisers, for this, I am so grateful.

Could anyone please tell me about any snorkeling excursions they went on with Princess.

Thanks,

Cat

The OP is either joking or has not traveled very much ( ZERO before this cruise) to even think about packing such items in their checked luggage - this is just asking for someone to steal. Perhaps it was a broken laptop, cameras, cellphone an they just want someone to replace it with new. I feel sorry for thwir homeowners carrier who may get stuck with a SCAM bill.

Ron

I want to see the ports of call not sit on the boat!!! Hello, that is what I am paying for!!!

It's a ship, not a "boat". Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine. :D

The more you cruise, the more you learn to "go with the flow". You're on vacation. It won't be perfect. Living in California, I know how "sue happy" some people can get. Just go and have a good time and don't let the little things get you down. At least you'll be on a cruise, unlike most of us stuck here on land!;)

I thank all of you for your previous e-mails and letters to princess regarding tendering problems. I have learned alot and will be much better prepared. Hopefully, they have read some of those complaints.

What I meant, is after my cruise, if things do not get any better, we should unite as a group, instead of individuals to make a bigger impact, for future cruisers.

If it is okay with you all, I will copy this thread and take it with me.

I have no doubt the people on the ship are aware of the problems tendering. They are also aware that a hurricane caused damage in Cozumel and that there are far too many ships in Grand Caymen than should be. You pointing it out them will not give them new valuable information.

:confused: I sure hope things are better with the tendering and excursion problem We will be leaving on this ship on March 25, 2006. This will be our second cruise. We were on the Adventure of the Seas(RCCL) and it was absolutely awesome. I hope we won't be disappointed on the Grand Princess. I do realize it is a smaller and not quite as elaborate ship but we wanted to try another cruise line, so we could compare them. If there even is a comparison. After reading the not so hot reviews, I'm wondering if we made a mistake. Please give me some positives!!!

Red61051, the biggest difference between the Grand and the Adventure are the ports. The Grand will tender in 3 ports and the Adventure doesn't tender at all. The dining room food on the Grand will be slightly better and the buffet is open 24 hours. The Adventure has more "in-between" meals choices in the Royal Promenade. I found the Anytime Dining service on the Grand to be lacking and dining room service on the Adventure to be excellent. I've heard service in Traditional Dining is very good. The Grand has more pools and the spa is better. You will have a great time on the Grand.

Hi red61051, Don't panic. I have only done 2 short back to back cruises with RCCL and that was on a small ship so I really have nothing to compare but any holiday is what you make of it. I am not sure of your age but we really enjoy Princess and we really like the Personal Choice dining - we have never had a problem getting a seat (although we usually go before 7:00). We like that we can go anytime and not have to worry about missing dinner because we are on an excursion or we decided to have a late nap :D . Besides the fact that there are more pools they are also fresh water not salt water which a lot of people seem to like.

Relax, go with no expectations and you will have a great time!! While you are waiting for the clock to tick by why don't you come on over to the rollcall board and join our little group. There are only a few signed up right now but I am sure that as we get closer to the date it will start moving.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=5416898#post5416898

Have a great cruise - I know that the tenders can be a bit worrysome but as we are still a ways out so they still have time to get the kinks out and it does sound like things are getting better. Because of this board we now know that we need to get our tickets an hour earlier than it says and that will help us avoid the chaos. Other than that I really haven't heard of many negatives - go and enjoy :D .

The OP is either joking or has not traveled very much ( ZERO before this cruise) to even think about packing such items in their checked luggage - this is just asking for someone to steal. Perhaps it was a broken laptop, cameras, cellphone an they just want someone to replace it with new. I feel sorry for thwir homeowners carrier who may get stuck with a SCAM bill.

Ron

Uhh, yeah, I was wondering if you were confused with the "theft on Grand" thread...

Archived