Puerto Rico

TXRed

We were looking to sail the Southern Caribbean but it looks as though the trip either starts or visits PR...has anyone been there since the hurricane? Thanks

Thousands of people have been there:p.

We flew to SJU a few weeks ago. All was well at the airport, pier and Old San Juan.

We booked a fairly cheap sailing on the Jewel in March, but a heads up that I underestimated hotel costs significantly. I can usually find a nice hotel for $100 US most places and $225-325 US seems the going rate in San Juan depending on the night. I have no idea if this is the norm or only due to the hurricane closures and hotels taken up by workers/residents, but a significant additional cost for us, especially since we are in Canadian dollars.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Here right now. It’s open.

We’ve not left Old San Juan, yet (we head down to Ponce Tuesday).

thank you so much for your reply...that makes me feel a lot better:D

We booked a fairly cheap sailing on the Jewel in March, but a heads up that I underestimated hotel costs significantly. I can usually find a nice hotel for $100 US most places and $225-325 US seems the going rate in San Juan depending on the night. I have no idea if this is the norm or only due to the hurricane closures and hotels taken up by workers/residents, but a significant additional cost for us, especially since we are in Canadian dollars.

Yikes....must keep that in mind!

Yikes....must keep that in mind!

Also keep in mind when you look online for prices that the price posted is quite a bit lower than you will actually end up getting once you complete the reservation. Puerto Rico has very high tourism taxes (17% hotel fees and 9% state tax) so add an additional 26% to the cost it lists.

Airfare can also be extremely high to get to Puerto Rico, depending on where you’re flying from (around $500-$800 per person from northern or western parts of the United States, but I’ve also gotten prices under $350 when booking super early).

If the hotel and airfare doesn’t take you outside of your budget, then I would recommend a southern Caribbean cruise over an eastern or western ANY DAY!!! I’ve done all of them and you just can’t beat the beauty of the southern islands over the more heavily traveled eastern and western ones.

We were looking to sail the Southern Caribbean but it looks as though the trip either starts or visits PR...has anyone been there since the hurricane? Thanks

If the cruise starts in PR we flew the day of the cruise. We usually always go the day before but in October we had no choice because FEMA was occupying most hotels that were open.

We are booked again to sail from PR this December and since the ship doesn't leave until 9pm we are again planning on flying the day of the cruise.

We take a direct flight that leaves our airport from Philadelphia at around 8am.

Just something to think about.

Bill

We are on Jewel on Feb. 18. We booked (using our Visa points) flight from Detroit to Miami on Sat.(non-stop) and then from Miami to San Juan (non-stop) really early on Sunday morning. Since departure isn't until 8pm, we are hoping this will work. Flying back home direct from SJU to DTW on the following Sunday.

Also keep in mind when you look online for prices that the price posted is quite a bit lower than you will actually end up getting once you complete the reservation. Puerto Rico has very high tourism taxes (17% hotel fees and 9% state tax) so add an additional 26% to the cost it lists.

Airfare can also be extremely high to get to Puerto Rico, depending on where you’re flying from (around $500-$800 per person from northern or western parts of the United States, but I’ve also gotten prices under $350 when booking super early).

If the hotel and airfare doesn’t take you outside of your budget, then I would recommend a southern Caribbean cruise over an eastern or western ANY DAY!!! I’ve done all of them and you just can’t beat the beauty of the southern islands over the more heavily traveled eastern and western ones.

We are flying nonstop Newark to San Juan in April for $119/pp one way. We are also staying at Hyatt House for $150 inc. taxes (plus $19 hotel fees) the night before our embarkation. I think these prices are fantastic and they weren’t hard to find and booked less than 4 months in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We are flying nonstop Newark to San Juan in April for $119/pp one way. We are also staying at Hyatt House for $150 inc. taxes (plus $19 hotel fees) the night before our embarkation. I think these prices are fantastic and they weren’t hard to find and booked less than 4 months in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That’s a good deal on the hotel. I’m not surprised that your flight was cheap though; you’re on the east coast. The second leg of all my flights start in the east coast and are always less than $150. It’s the first leg that costs so much.