Can’t decide which cruise to pick for honeymoon

FSU Girl

We really enjoyed our transatlantic cruise like this one. But the crowd tends to be a bit older and you do have 5 consecutive days at sea. We enjoy those sea days, but it's mainly for relaxation as opposed to lots of activities.

Good luck on your decision and congrats on your wedding.

P.S. Does Florida State still have a football team?? ;);)

I don’t do well with relaxing so I feel like so many sea days might drive me crazy. And yes our team will eventually get back to the top. When I was in school they sucked lol. So it was nice when they were winning for a bit

I feel like I’m trying so hard to fit Paris into my trip. There is a British Isles cruise that leaves from Dublin. Is the air port more reliable in Paris? This cruise is a little weird though, it starts in Dublin but doesn’t actually leave until the following day at 5pm. So would it just be like a hotel the first night?

I feel like I’m trying so hard to fit Paris into my trip. There is a British Isles cruise that leaves from Dublin. Is the air port more reliable in Paris? This cruise is a little weird though, it starts in Dublin but doesn’t actually leave until the following day at 5pm. So would it just be like a hotel the first night?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Imo the Paris airport is more reliable than the train system, so flying in and out of the airport wouldn't be as "risky". In any case, we always will arrive into the city where our cruise leaves from the day before just to help minimize possible travel disruptions/issue.

And yes, the ship would be just like a hotel if the cruise doesn't leave until the following day. This could give you the "cushion" you would want if you decided to get to Dublin the day the ship boards since it won't leave until the next afternoon. All food would be included though unlike at a hotel.

firstly congratulations on your marriage. Paris is a wonderful city but there is a lot to do, as there is in London. My one piece of advice is that the ship may dock in the container port in Le Havre which from memory is a good distance from the actual town. We certainly did on last cruises. If you decide to embark in Southampton, you have London but actually there is a lot to do in Southampton as we discovered last year when we spent a couple of nights pre cruise. Despite living in the uk we had never visited before. Like others have said I’d be wary of try to do too much/ cut it fine precruisexx

I found another cruise that we might do instead. It’s the transatlantic on the Regal going back to the US. I’ve never done one before, so I’m not sure how I feel about so many sea days. Is there enough to do on the ship to not get bored?

I thought this was your honeymoon? :confused:

You can fly from Paris to Southampton, so perhaps you could look at whether that works for your dates? I'd want to fly in the day before, but it may mean you could leave Paris in the evening and just spend the night in Southampton before the cruise (I haven't looked at flight times).

Not to be nosy, but is there a reason your honeymoon has to include a cruise? Why not go to the cities that you really want to visit, and spend a couple of days in each place? It will likely be more expensive (hotels, food and transportation), but you have complete flexibility in where you go, for how long and what you choose to do in each place.

Or, another option is to see if there are any shorter cruises (maybe not with princess) that fit your time frame, and spend a couple of days in your preferred cities before or after.

Not to be nosy, but is there a reason your honeymoon has to include a cruise? Why not go to the cities that you really want to visit, and spend a couple of days in each place? It will likely be more expensive (hotels, food and transportation), but you have complete flexibility in where you go, for how long and what you choose to do in each place.

Or, another option is to see if there are any shorter cruises (maybe not with princess) that fit your time frame, and spend a couple of days in your preferred cities before or after.

We were thinking about just flying to a city, but a cruise makes travel easier and we can accomplish more in a shorter amount of time. We are also looking at some week long cruises in Europe, but they are in the Mediterranean and I’ve done that before. We might just put off Paris until the following year and do a land tour then.

well...seeing that the discussion is still going on ...I have to put in my 2 cents...

I just took a quick glance at a few recent posts and noticed Paris is still being mentioned.....I was going to post this about 25 posts ago.....

Go to PARIS!..on a land trip it is your honeymoon...and what a romantic city....don't put it off...you want to go there and you should.

In '83 we did our first cruise and it was our honeymoon....we flew the day of our wedding on a red eye out of LAX...to MIA back in those days the cruise line put us in a day room at a hotel. our ship was small and imitate and oh so romantic....but today the ships have lost mystique....Everyone goes on cruises....Europe is inexpensive right now...so much to do and see...Paris and Venice would make a wonderful romantic combo.....London...should be done all by itself....

Congrats...Enjoy...Paris:D I have a feeling that's where you will finally end up on a land tour or independent.

Edited by land lover

• 2 weeks later...

I have a solution to your Paris dilemma! Do what we did...Fly into Paris (sometimes it can save money), spend a few days to explore, and then fly anywhere within Europe to catch the cruise of your choice. Our plane tixx from Paris to Venice were very affordable. That way, you get Paris without being bound to just 1 cruise option. Between the 2 cruises you mentioned, I would think the British Isles one would be more romantic, although as you wondered, the Regal is the newer, more exciting ship. Whatever you choose, you’ll have a blast because it’s your honeymoon, and it’s Europe!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was looking into the train system in Paris and it looks like there is a train from Paris to Le Havre. Has anyone taken this? Is it easy to navigate? I really want to spend a lot of time in Paris and I think the easiest way to do this would be to start the cruise out of Le Havre.

The Eurostar between London and Paris is clean, fast and generally on time. In my experience the trains from Paris to Le Havre (or Bayeux) are often crowded and are often delayed. On my first experience we sat on a barely moving and sometimes stopped train delaying our arrival by 4 hours. We got there so late only one restaurant was still open! On my second experience we were delayed about an hour. So just make sure you give yourself plenty of time to get there.

See Paris after your cruise. We did the British isle cruise a few years back and loved it. Car rental place right at the port in Le Havre. Drove to the D-day beaches and stopped at Honfleur one the way back, amazing day. Paris is way too big with too much to see in just a few hours, but that is just my opinion.