Just booked- some questions

KatieG73

I was wondering if QM2 posts the dinner menu early in the day. If I would bring a bottle of wine to the dining room, I would know to bring red or white.

Would I bring it earlier in the day or at dinner time?

I would think dinner time might be a little hectic.

Thanks,

Pat.

I'm a bit hesitant to reply to these questions since it seems discussions of Cunard's alcohol policy have recently elicited almost as much passion on this board as the dress code, but here goes anyway.

You are absolutely entitled to bring one bottle of wine each. Here is what the Voyage Personaliser states.

"You may bring one bottle of wine or champagne per person on board to celebrate special occasions. If consumed in restaurants or bars, each bottle will be subjected to a $20 corkage fee."

The Cunard UK FAQ has a more general statement about the alcohol policy with no mention of a quantity limit.

"You may bring wine or champagne on board (over the age of 21) to celebrate special occasions. However if it is consumed in any of the dining rooms, alternative restaurants or bars then each bottle will be subject to a corkage fee of $20 (fee subject to change)."

In practice, Cunard does not currently limit passengers to bringing only one bottle of wine each on board. Posters here have reported they have been able to bring substantial quantities of alcohol on board Cunard ships without any problem. As long as you limit yourself to a reasonable quantity (as you have indicated you will), there should be no issue at all. Also, Cunard does not mention bringing other forms of alcohol on board besides wine and champagne, but again other posters have indicated they have been allowed to bring hard liquor and beer on board without any problem.

Of course this policy is subject to change by the time you actually sail, but this is my understanding of the current policy.

Regards, John

Thanks John -understand!

We wouldn't be looking at bringing more than a bottle each so that works out well -as I said we're more social drinkers and will be propping up numerous bars :) but nice to have the option for a wee glass or two in our staterooms.

I've brought aboard four bottles plus a six pack of sodas all at one time. They are most accommodating about bringing aboard spirits, water and sodas. You just have to lug it aboard.

If I am going to bring a bottle to the dining room, I bring it ahead of time and give it to the wine steward. I've also given a bottle to my butler to have delivered to the dining room.

They really are most accommodating. The corkage fee is reasonable. If you don't drink the entire bottle, they will seal it and serve it at a subsequent meal.

I was wondering if QM2 posts the dinner menu early in the day.
My experience is mostly on QM2. At breakfast the maitre d's desk has two embossed pleather folders, one of which contains the lunch menu and the other the dinner menu. If you don't see them or the day's menus haven't been inserted yet one of the maitre d staff will print off the day's menus for you.

Otherwise the lunch menu is posted outside the restaurant after breakfast and the dinner menu after lunch.