Formula 1 Barcelona May 11-13

CH_ca

Hi, I'm thinking of visiting Barcelona in May. It happens to be during the Formula 1 time frame. Is there anything I should plan ahead for such as road closures, transit route detours, areas to avoid due to excessive crowds after the race? I try to look for information online but couldn't find too many useful tips. Any advice from local residents is appreciated. Thanks! :)

Montmelo circuit (where the race is held) is 30 km (almost 20 miles) N.E. of Barcelona. Around this area traffic can be slow, although there are excellent traffic plans in operation (one direction etc).

Remember that Barcelona hosts numerous events every week and is well used to many millions of tourist each year.

F1 Weekend will probably only be more noticeable by the amount of red Ferrari T shirts wandering around Las Ramblas.

As mentioned by 'Twickers' check out hotels soon as many will be block booked by travel agents who offer 'package' weekends to the F1.

Thanks for the hotel advice. I have a few hotel choices in mind near Las Ramblas that are reasonably priced. I'm just worried that the sightseeing to various Gaudi sites via transit might be affected should there be road closures or detours. Looks like the Formula 1 should not directly affect things in Barcelona then. Can't wait to go! :)

1.) The event takes place outside the city, so there's no effect whatsoever in the city

2.) As mentioned by VMax1700, the city hosts major events week in week out (international congresses, sports, music concerts, etc) as well as millions of regular tourists every month... we're quite used to that, and life goes on "despite" this :) Our transport system is quite capable of handling simultaneous events plus the regular residents -the city has 1.9 million inhabitants!). This is not to say that on a specific event in a specific area there might be detours or closures, but that would affect pretty much just the streets around the place where the event is taking place... so the rest of the city, or just a few blocks down the road, wouldn't even notice something is going on.

3.) Having said that, since the F1 is celebrated in the town of Montmeló -a few miles outside the city- the train line to/from that station will possibly be quite busy on the days of the race... but nothing that can't be handled. The F1 race in Montmeló has been one of the races in the international circuit for 27 years now. The circuit is not only used for the F1 but also for the MotoGP Grand Prix, the FIA Rallycross World Championship and the classic car races (such as V de V Endurance Series) among other. I am assuming of course you'll go to Montmeló by train... it's by far the best option. Going by car is quite crazy and you are unlikely to be able to park anyway.

1.) The event takes place outside the city, so there's no effect whatsoever in the city

2.) As mentioned by VMax1700, the city hosts major events week in week out (international congresses, sports, music concerts, etc) as well as millions of regular tourists every month... we're quite used to that, and life goes on "despite" this :) Our transport system is quite capable of handling simultaneous events plus the regular residents -the city has 1.9 million inhabitants!). This is not to say that on a specific event in a specific area there might be detours or closures, but that would affect pretty much just the streets around the place where the event is taking place... so the rest of the city, or just a few blocks down the road, wouldn't even notice something is going on.

3.) Having said that, since the F1 is celebrated in the town of Montmeló -a few miles outside the city- the train line to/from that station will possibly be quite busy on the days of the race... but nothing that can't be handled. The F1 race in Montmeló has been one of the races in the international circuit for 27 years now. The circuit is not only used for the F1 but also for the MotoGP Grand Prix, the FIA Rallycross World Championship and the classic car races (such as V de V Endurance Series) among other. I am assuming of course you'll go to Montmeló by train... it's by far the best option. Going by car is quite crazy and you are unlikely to be able to park anyway.

Wow Eric, once again so informative! Thanks! This is going to be my second time to Barcelona. I've been to many places around the world but hardly any place that can make me long to go back. Barcelona is the first one! I just love the atmosphere in that city!

Thank you EnricM, I have enjoyed and taken great insight from your very informative posts for months. I am in your beautiful city right now...and I LOVE it here. I will be joining the NCL Spirit tomorrow, but have been here a couple days before and another day after. This a unique and magical city..the most friendly people I have ever come across...I completely understand why you love it so. Thank you for all of your info...

I will blush @cruisin from vegas, I am glad you like my hometown, I hope you're having a good time. I indeed do love the city, but you know, it's not only my city but also my culture, Catalan culture, and I'm a true born and bred Catalan, LOL! :)

@CH_ca, no problem, but thanks for caring on the correct spelling.